Programming thread -

• Trump is threatening to repeal Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to spite Twitter and I am tracking competing efforts to edit legislation here.
    P.S. A source of my income was removed by payment networks recently. If you'd like to donate crypto, my addresses are here.

Stock Image Photographer

All my homies hate human rights
kiwifarms.net
As time goes by, I'm appreciating Microsoft more and more. Why does it seem like they're the only but tech company out there besides Apple what don't have some sort of horrible hidden agenda?
Probably because they're one of the few remaining tech giants who rose to prominence and kept that status before Silicon Valley was what we know it as today, so they're moreso a traditional company than they are an activist company.

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
I'd say either automating some boring, repetitive task you do on your computer or something that you think would be interesting but would take too long manually. An example of the former might be a program I wrote that took the CSV output from machines I worked with, collated them into one spreadsheet file, and computed averages. An example of the latter might be a program that combs through the post history of a lolcow and counts the number of time they say a certain set of words. Python is good for web scraping and has a lot of libraries that make it easy, so if you have any interest in that I'd say go for it.
If you go with web scraping, use the Requests library. Urllib3 is Satan.

Autocrat

Fascist Emperor God-King
kiwifarms.net
o-mg-cable[1].jpg

iphone charger that can wirelessly hack laptops

I've been seeing this on twitter. He is sold out of the prototypes (which sucks because I was going to buy one) but a full production version will be going to hak5 soon for $100.

Funfact:
Years ago, I met a contributor to the cable from 4chan. We hungout irl and did drugs at Salesforce HQ where he worked.

Here is Cable's website
He also offers a shitty DIY kit of the cable, which is called the DemonSeed.

Here is a Techcrunch article about it.

He has another cool music video on twitter for it. Find it if you're interested.

saisegeha

motel money buffet madness
kiwifarms.net
Is anyone here still using Perl?
It's been a long time since I had a job as a dev (thankfully), but something about Perl is just so elegant that I'll still use it in my spare time to automate stuff or shit out a quick data scraper. I know that Python and JS is all the rage these days, but there's a certain beauty about Perl.

Reactions: Marvin

RLS0812

Worthless Garbage
kiwifarms.net
If you like downloading hundreds of 3rd party libraries, Python is the language for you !
Python also teaches a lot of bad habits, and is the preferred scripting language of the Linux fan boys.

Good luck of you want to actually create anything in Python without 3rd party engines or 3rd party libraries - the native libraries are junktastic !

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you like downloading hundreds of 3rd party libraries, Python is the language for you !
Python also teaches a lot of bad habits, and is the preferred scripting language of the Linux fan boys.

Good luck of you want to actually create anything in Python without 3rd party engines or 3rd party libraries - the native libraries are junktastic !
I don't like python but...

All non trivial work in any language requires third party libraries. Some binding to curl is a pretty common one. Actually, python's standard library is bigger than most standard libraries, so this is a little less true for python.

Also I don't think it's correct to say python teaches bad habits. What makes a bad habit varies a lot from language to language. Python encourages good python coding habits, which is perfectly appropriate for python.

RLS0812

Worthless Garbage
kiwifarms.net
Marvin said:
Also I don't think it's correct to say python teaches bad habits. What makes a bad habit varies a lot from language to language. Python encourages good python coding habits, which is perfectly appropriate for python.
No type casting ... the ability to change any variable, to any type, at any time, anywhere in the script.
And no implicit public / private variables.
And the C++ style class declarations python loves, despite they are not necessary at all.
And the mandatory white spacing .
And the lack of brackets { } .
And no graphics libraries that aren't 3rd party .

I'm sorry, but the native PRE is absolute junk. I dare you to write a functional networking application without any 3rd party. Python has the libraries to do it, in theory it should work. In practice, it doesn't.
In Java is is relatively simple to get the native libraries to work - and it actually works without 3rd party add-ons !!!

I'm going to guess someone is going to fire up a Linux distro, load a 3rd party heavily modified version of Python, and tell me I'm incorrect.

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No type casting ... the ability to change any variable, to any type, at any time, anywhere in the script.
Python is a dynamically typed language. This is an intentional design feature, not a bug.

A programming language is a tool. Different tools are useful for different things.

In the case of dynamically typed languages versus statically typed languages, dynamically typed languages are much more capable tools for a big class of projects specifically because they don't rope you into hard types early on. There's a big class of projects where you simply can't implement them in statically typed languages (at least not with any reasonable deadline) because the speed at which the brain cycles happens much faster than it takes to redesign the types.

It's understood that you should still try to follow proper behavior like respecting private variables (Python signals this by surrounding private/special variables with `__`), but no rules are perfect.

Being able to change the design on the fly, including doing dirty things like accessing previously private variables, are essential to perfecting a design.

I'd write a web server or some other well-tread concept in a statically typed language. I wouldn't dream of writing game logic in anything but a dynamically typed language though. Experimentation is essential to making a good game, for example. (and lots of other types of projects)
Makes a more cohesive company to impose common style rules on everyone. It's not personally my thing, but it's a thing.
Disagree. In my experience, graphics libraries are such a broad, specialized category of library that it's hard to provide one that covers all (or even a lot) of your bases.

What specifically are you referring to?
* just basic image compositing+conversion?
* 2d display graphics, a la SDL?
* OpenGL?

I don't see a reason to bundle any of them up in a standard library. Maybe image compositing / conversion, but even then, I'd just use whatever package manager comes with the language.
I dare you to write a functional networking application without any 3rd party. Python has the libraries to do it, in theory it should work. In practice, it doesn't.
What kind of networking? Like TCP/IP? Or higher level like a REST API?

ConcernedAnon

Concerned and hopefully anonymous
kiwifarms.net
And the C++ style class declarations python loves, despite they are not necessary at all.

I'm sorry, but the native PRE is absolute junk. I dare you to write a functional networking application without any 3rd party. Python has the libraries to do it, in theory it should work. In practice, it doesn't.
In Java is is relatively simple to get the native libraries to work - and it actually works without 3rd party add-ons !!!

I'm going to guess someone is going to fire up a Linux distro, load a 3rd party heavily modified version of Python, and tell me I'm incorrect.
I agreed that python is gay and for fags, but the implication that Java is anything but garbage trash for assholes is so grossly incorrect that I now have to retroactively disagree with the first statement.

Real talk though, Python has it's place as a scripting language, but Java is just plain loathsome. I wish they'd kill the language in totality rather than just the browser plugin. Just use C# instead; The Official Language For Men

• Agree
Reactions: z.svg and Splendid

ConcernedAnon

Concerned and hopefully anonymous
kiwifarms.net
...who shit on streets.

Every time I see a program is written in C#, I already know it's complete garbage.
Them's fighting words boy. Richard from Window Computersoft™ who calls every american landline daily in broken english may be the powerbase of C# but that just goes with the Microsoft territory. Consider this; Richard despite his failings is still technically aryan. Can you say the same, dirtchild?

QED ਮੈਂ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਜ਼ਿਆਦਾ ਚਿੱਟਾ ਹਾਂ ਮੁਹੰਮਦ

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Is anyone here still using Perl?
It's been a long time since I had a job as a dev (thankfully), but something about Perl is just so elegant that I'll still use it in my spare time to automate stuff or shit out a quick data scraper. I know that Python and JS is all the rage these days, but there's a certain beauty about Perl.
A couple of years ago I knew a hipster guy in his late twenties that is deep into Linux, emacs, LaTeX("did you know it's pronounced..."), C, Python, things he used to design circuit boards and shit for hipster purposes... anyway, he thought that I might now what it is called, some old thing that old people use where it's just a super-long line of indecipherable text that they then execute and go 'heh'.
'Are you thinking of Perl?' - 'YES!'

I remember when the old guys where young(er) Linux guys and Perl was all the rage. "You can do anything in one line of Perl" 1500 characters later that line is complete. Was that even 15 years ago?

• Agree
Reactions: Magnum Tenebrosum

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
Even as a gentoo user, I never liked Pypthon, for already names reasons.

Now if we speak interpreted, Lua I always liked for whipping something up quickly, it's also pretty lightweight and fast, especially luajit. I also had my stints in tcl but always got back to lua. Lua also even runs pretty well on old 90s/early 00s PCs running DOS.

DNJACK

Part of the EDF communauty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
different usecases. python is used from scientific simulations to machine learning to webcrawlers.
Lua is used as a lightweight scripting engine that can run on a small microcontroller and handle simple logic state machines. There no sense in using exclusively lua for a standalone application.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
W

WW 635

kiwifarms.net

Java is such utter trashbag shitstain garbage that it makes C# look like a decent option in comparison.

And Linux isn't a necessity for Python. You also don't need to load up a billion libraries for a "heavily modified version of Python" which is a statement that doesn't even really make sense. You can import what you need without having to import all the things

Tags
None