Programming thread -

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because there have only been a few tool improvements over the millennia of human existence....
That's not what I was disagreeing with in @DNJACK's post.

@DNJACK was implying that the design of the language itself (compared to other, ancillary features like library availability) wasn't all that important. I disagreed with that. I asked, if the design wasn't all that important, why would people keep inventing new programming languages? Why can't they just keep the same language design?
because we never invent new tools ever
In this post, I guessed that he was trying to say that inventing the new languages was basically arbitrary.

If you think that some programming languages can be better than other ones, design wise, and that this justifies picking some languages over another, then I think you agree with my point.

Reactions: ConcernedAnon

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been screwing around with writing NES homebrew (6502 assembly) and found this guy's channel, which is cool to see someone else doing the same sort of stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp73jJFLgicEywj1e7e-1A . He has criminally low views for the unique content he's producing so I wanted to shill him.

BTW I wrote this thing for the Fediverse, it's kinda unpolished right now (especially the spider mode) but it has basic functionality: https://git.kiwifarms.net/CrunkLord420/fediarchiver

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Anyone else think that Windows Subsystem for Linux is an Embrace Extend Extinguish tactic?

Personally I think it's an attempt to kill alternate "non controlled" compilers and linux compatability tools for windows (minGW, cygwin, msys2 etc. LLVM wil probably be fine tho). It forces you to use Windows 10 and microsoft can easily kill it off whenever they feell like, focing you to use the now outdated and unsupported alternatives.

None of the big players have made the jump yet but I've noticed a few minor applications like taskwarrior have made the switch.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Spedestrian

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone else think that Windows Subsystem for Linux is an Embrace Extend Extinguish tactic?

Personally I think it's an attempt to kill alternate "non controlled" compilers and linux compatability tools for windows (minGW, cygwin, msys2 etc. LLVM wil probably be fine tho). It forces you to use Windows 10 and microsoft can easily kill it off whenever they feell like, focing you to use the now outdated and unsupported alternatives.

None of the big players have made the jump yet but I've noticed a few minor applications like taskwarrior have made the switch.
That's what they're trying to do but I don't think it'll be effective. It's not a replacement for an actual linux kernel. See: docker.

Reactions: Coolio55

Splendid

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is anyone else following the Stack Exchange meltdown? This shit is great. They're due to drop their new code of conduct tomorrow, and if it's as bad as some people claim, there may be a mass exodus.

skiddlez

ring ring moshi moshi sex please
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is anyone else following the Stack Exchange meltdown? This shit is great. They're due to drop their new code of conduct tomorrow, and if it's as bad as some people claim, there may be a mass exodus.
What's happening with/what's wrong with stack exchange? Link?

Edit: I think this may be it:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Draza

Splendid

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What's happening with/what's wrong with stack exchange? Link?

Edit: I think this may be it:
Ok, so first off, Stack Exchange decided to change the content license from Creative Commons 3 to Creative Commons 4. Pretty much everyone agrees that it's a good change, but most of the community seems to agree that it's illegal for SE to unilaterally do that. Creative Commons' own website seems to support this viewpoint.

https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/334551/an-apology-to-our-community-and-next-steps
https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/334399/summing-up-the-main-issues-the-story-so-far
Mass mod resignations

tl;dr A mod on Judaism.SE refused to refer to people using the "they" pronoun because she believes it's grammatically incorrect (another one on Christianity.SE refused to do so for religious reasons, and he seems to be the one who sparked the mod stepdown trend.)
A big part of the issue is that she was allegedly kicked off in a way that ignores the established procedure for removing a mod (SE staff acted unilaterally without any involvement from Judaism.SE users or mods,) but another part of the allegation against SE is that she was kicked off for violating a new version of the CoC that hasn't been made public yet. She (and others) have claimed that it forces you to use any pronoun for someone, does not allow you to refer to someone by their name if they would prefer a pronoun, and does not even allow users to refuse to engage with other users, since that could be othering or whatever.
On top of all this, they went and blabbed to theregister.co.uk, an industry news site, and they used her real name. She uses her real name as her account name, but a lot of people see that as going way too far. They're also still pissed at how the whole Interpersonal Skills Stack Exchange thing was handled earlier too (SE staff literally bypassed what their own website wanted in order to make a handful of people on Twitter happy.)

Obviously, the new CoC is completely insane if all of those rumors are true. The mod they fired is clearly fucking sick of them now (guess what comes up on top if you search for her name now?) and will probably blab if they try to stealthily edit the CoC that they present to the community from what they showed her.
If the new CoC is that fucking crazy, they'll be banning non native English speakers left, right, and center, and they can say goodbye to their religious and most non-English sites. The population will be devastated.

Of course, their golden geese, the programming/tech related sites, won't be unaffected too. They could see signifigant user losses if they try to go through with this blatantly political shit.
We'll find out tomorrow when the new CoC drops.

On top of this all, Stack Exchange has a brand new CEO and rumor has it that they're completely out of venture capital money. They've been floating on that for too long and now they need to make a profit quickly.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino