PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To Be Permanently Closed In A Few Months - fuck game preservation lol - Sony

Jean Lafitte 1812

kiwifarms.net
Here's what I posted in the retro general about backing your games up on your own hardware and terms:
Here's a guide on saving your PS3, PSP, and Vita history. (This also shows you how to access the classic store, which you can still buy stuff from as of this post.)
Here's NoPayStation's Guide on getting your PKG download links.
Using your pkg files and a license dumped from your hacked system you can install the game on any future PS3 or Vita that you hack, regardless of Sony's server status or the CMOS battery problem.

I'm not worried about PS1 or PSP games if any of the PS3 or Vita shops shut down cause all we're losing is the ability to give Sony money for the games. Injects for either are still dirt easy and both PS1 and PSP has complete collections floating around online. I'm more worries about the 50+% of PS3 games that NoPayStation still doesn't have archived just disappearing overnight and losing the ability to download from Sony's CDN cause no one is going to front the cost to host all those games.

The Last Stand

Be very, VERY gay.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nobody cared when the OG xbox's store died and people lost their purchases,
To be fair, OG Xbox was one of the first forefront of console digital purchases. Xbox Live wasn't as mainstream then as it is now.

Other than some DLC packs and a couple arcade games, not much was "lost" with the closure of OG Xbox Live. It was past its time anyway.

LMFAOForgotPw

It’s HIV not... ya know
kiwifarms.net
Figured it would happen sooner rather than later. thankfully the systems have easy exploits and emulation is pretty far along if not excellent for the consoles. the ps3 having a full exploit so early with custom firmware made it to where the home brew scene was huge/ still is worked on. Same for the wii/xbox/dreamcast So what I’m getting at is I worry for more modern consoles.

Does the ps4 have a thriving homebrew scene? Not exactly, but a big exploit dropped recently however its not a custom firmware exploit where you can add functionality like was seen on the wii/ps3. Regardless there was in the past year a way to play burned games on an unmodded ps2 even though plenty of exploits exist and playing disc games isn’t the most common way of playing them now. always thankful for people that tinker with preservation in mind and its only gaining speed.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
This is ultimately the problem. Most normies don't care. I grew up renting from Blockbuster because games were expensive. Once the rental market collapsed, the used market exploded. I've known people who only have a half dozen games at a time. Mostly they buy a game, play it until they've beaten it or got board, then sold it for store credit to get the next game.

For normies to care, it would have be something big like Steam or i-tunes going under in spectacular fashion. Or it will be something that happens 40 years from now when something important is lost or there's a gap in gaming history so large even normies can't ignore it. Like an entire console library disappearing.
They are required to give people like 3-6 months of notice before shutting stuff down. People keep saying they're going to drop the news during an event, but that makes no sense. Termination of service isn't exactly something that you headline with. There's a ton of stuff that really does sound very questionable because it's not how things are set up from the hardware and software end.

Acting like a CMOS battery is the final kill switch between preservation and ruin is bizarre in all these articles. Because most people probably don't know that they're these:
cmos.jpg

Many consoles even in the 90's had them like the Sega Saturn, the NES used them as battery backup for games. They're commonly found throughout many electronics. This isn't exactly a unique situation. You can also install PS3 games on external drives and the Vita allowed this too if you transferred the data to the PS3.

Last edited:

Detrogen

Senior Citizen Virgin
kiwifarms.net
People saying that a lot of PS3 games are on PS4 should take note that it’s just come out in the last few days that the PS4’s internal clock battery will ultimately brick the system when it fails.

Sony has yet to comment on the issue and, supposedly, it could be fixed with them releasing a firmware update if they can be bothered. Sucks because I JUST bought the Prototype collection on PS4 and now I regret not just getting the PS3 versions.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
People saying that a lot of PS3 games are on PS4 should take note that it’s just come out in the last few days that the PS4’s internal clock battery will ultimately brick the system when it fails.

Sony has yet to comment on the issue and, supposedly, it could be fixed with them releasing a firmware update if they can be bothered. Sucks because I JUST bought the Prototype collection on PS4 and now I regret not just getting the PS3 versions.
This isn't true either. If your clock is fucked up and the machine isn't online and you get trophies, it just doesn't give a timestamp. The CMOS battery is a generic part, it's like changing a lightbulb. There's nothing on the hardware or software end that needs the specific CMOS battery that the system originally came with. The disc drive would have nothing to do with that either. Server connections from playstation can already be mimicked because that's how The Archstones and GoneSpy runs the original Demon's Souls and other games online, you also have a wide array of GTA hackers who pull similar tactics.

You can also remove the hard drive itself and put it into your computer and extract data that way.

Last edited:

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net

to be fair, all sony needs to do is to keep the service to ping back running, which takes much less resources and maintenance as a full blown store. of course sony wants you to buy their shiny new hardware with shiny new games and even shinier services, but that doesn't mean much if they're stuck in their own service agreement. an eu court would love to fine sony out the ass for actions that were never mentioned in the agreement, if only to plug their own leaking budget (even more so after corona) - so any profit sony could make with that move could be rendered moot if the EU decides it's a good excuse to milk sony. on top the possible PR fallout.

and that's still hypothetical for now, more likely your console will brick itself before sony starts any shenanigans on their end. have you tried to buy a new dualshock 3 recently? if that thing inevitably breaks your ps3 is as much a paperweight as with a dead battery. your only other options are trying to fix it yourself, by an offbrand controller (which are getting rarer over time too) or an adapter (which thanks to fight sticks might be available for a bit longer thanks to your trusty chink vendor).
when your psp/psv inevitably croaks any fix/replacement will be even harder to come by.

don't get me wrong, it's a shitty move all around, but physical won't save you from the rest of your system breaking down at some point either. all your nice discs are worthless without a console to play it on.

Finder of Games

Forgetter of Passwords
kiwifarms.net
This seemed like a matter of time after the webstore 'removal' in sept/oct of last year. I'm curious if the reasoning behind this is to try and stem things like PKGJ and the catalog itself NPS? Or frankly, my own personal belief is that it's due to the increased relevance of third party CDNs for offering downloads and streaming (archive) which means they'll be retiring a lot of old server farms.
Why? Because the PSP store has disabled purchases for the better part of 6 years, but you can still access and download from it. The inclusion of the PSP in this recent wave of articles probably means they're shutting off downloads for it, which is the second big example of a digital library being removed from users (First being the Nintendo Wii in Jan 2019, unless you count Desura, lol) The only reason I can see them culling the server space for this stuff is that they're overhauling their services entirely. But I'm no server architect, what do I know.

I'm interested in how things like NPS and the PS3 and Vita versions of PKGJ will be impacted. A lot of people seem to think NPS hosts games, but it's actually downloading from Sony's zeus servers. (You may see these if you look at the old excel sheet that was NPS 1.0, or were around for the dawn of decryption of PSP games after CFW had cooled down). Nintendo used the same technology and processes for distributing 3DS and Wii U games. You may remember Freeshop for 3DS before Nintendo switched the way it distributed 3DS games, it was basically the same as NPS currently is. You download the encrypted game's files from a special server dedicated to delivering them to end users (Which is why you need an original purchaser, or as known in the wii u scene/old 3ds scene a 'ticket'), and through CFW on your system (or a third party applet) you decrypt and can play.

Interesting stuff is gonna happen. We may get a peek at how efficient Sony is at this shutdown stuff, as well. You may full well be able to download games for... A good while after the fronts are gone. Maybe until they either repurpose the servers or decommission completely.

All in all though, fuck Sony. Fuck Nintendo for doing the same thing with the Wii.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
The server costs for the PS3 and Vita are negligible, you're looking at most maybe $2,000 a month on average. Them losing money on this is doubtful especially since PSNow still needs PS3 shit in order to run.

The June end of date also makes zero sense because they also announced they're ending all movies and TV downloads August 31st(this includes all playstation platforms). That was the beginning of this month if they're going to be ripping stuff off the network, why the fuck would they be fucking with the server content two times mere weeks from each other? The servers are all in the same place, If they were going to end PS3 and Vita stuff in June or July we would have gotten word by now since they already gave us fair warning for shit happening in August. Now that's fairly minor and gives at least 6 months of warning. They would do the same for shutting down consoles since that ranks far far higher on the scale.

People seem to be making Jim Ryan out to be on par with Michael Eisner for whatever reason, and keep trying to use every smallest excuse to do so. Half the theory crafting shit on this whole rumor winds up devolving into a Jim Ryan Circlejerk. Like damn I never had any strong feeling son way or the other with him, but he's not some nefarious ideologue. Just because he looks like a corpse, doesn't mean he routinely votes democrat.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can you buy a PSN only game on the web and download it on a PS3 later?

I really fucking wish this wasn't happening so soon, the PS5 is less than a year old, there's zero reason for them to do this to the PS3 so soon.

Future historians will praise software pirates as the saviours of human culture.
We're in the phase that they were in the silent film era where they just trashed movies, thinking no one in the future would care.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Can you buy a PSN only game on the web and download it on a PS3 later?

I really fucking wish this wasn't happening so soon, the PS5 is less than a year old, there's zero reason for them to do this to the PS3 so soon.

We're in the phase that they were in the silent film era where they just trashed movies, thinking no one in the future would care.
This isn't even a real story don't panic buy shit, it's just hearsay at this point with no further facts coming from the source and the source themselves now being oddly silent.

Remember traditional journalism doesn't even work anymore. They're not checking for facts if the story gets enough clicks.

This is how a fake story gets picked up by news outlets and pushed without checking to see if the facts are correct.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This isn't even a real story don't panic buy shit, it's just hearsay at this point with no further facts coming from the source and the source themselves now being oddly silent.

Remember traditional journalism doesn't even work anymore. They're not checking for facts if the story gets enough clicks.

This is how a fake story gets picked up by news outlets and pushed without checking to see if the facts are correct.
Well thank goodness, I was definitely wanting to revisit the PS3 sometime over the next year and there still a few PSN only games I was wanting to purchase, but early July was pushing it.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Well thank goodness, I was definitely wanting to revisit the PS3 sometime over the next year and there still a few PSN only games I was wanting to purchase, but early July was pushing it.
The only thing we know is that they're taking movies and TV shows off of PSN in August and they made that announcement March 1st/2nd, if they were going to make big changes to PSN it makes no sense to have a larger change come before another deadline that was already set at a later date.

*edit*
Something came up about a patent that's intended to provide trophy support for games that pre-date modern PSN.

This brings up Emulation, not streaming so are they going to provide ways to emulate the PS1,PS2, PSP, PS3 and Vita? Is PS3 backwards compatibility actually going to be patched in and hence the PS5 storefront will get all the old shit?

Last edited:

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What games are on PS3 and Vita PSN that are worth getting?

The only PS3 PSN game I've been meaning to pick up but haven't is Tokyo Jungle, which I was hyped for back since it was Japan only. It disappeared into the backlog and I never got around to playing it.

I made a PSN US account to get Parasite Eve and the US version of Parasite Eve 2 (which runs faster) years ago. Emulation is good now, so I'm not concerned about PS1 games much, but never found any US only games I was willing to pay the price for. The only one I can think of is annual NASCAR and base ball games.

For Vita, I was tempted to get Killzone Mercenary because collectors drove up physical prices and local places don't stock Vita games (the few that I've seen are in terrible condition).
Will you extend Vita to PSP recommendations?
* Tactics Ogre: Turn-based Strategy RPG. Recommended if you liked Final Fantasy Tactics or Game of Thrones.
* Valkyria Chronicles for PS3, its sequel is on PSP, which is slightly weaker than the first but there's some enjoyment out of it.
* Valkyrie Profile.

Granted, I listed games with a physical release as I'm blanking on PSN exclusives. You could also refer to these lists.
If you don't have muramasa rebirth for vita, i recommend that one definitely. The DLCs are really good too
Muramasa should have been on console, it's way too beautiful to stay stuck on handheld.