PS5 release date confirmed, holidays 2020 - And of course they're ripping off Nintendo again

jellycar

Actually Patty Hearst/Mariya Takeuchi
kiwifarms.net
Actually every playstation has lasted around 8-10 years. PS4 still has stuff slated to be released for it well after the PS5's launch so you're going to be getting stuff well into 2021.

Usually a playstation era ends with one last big RPG either from Bandai or Atlus during the launch window of the new console and then there's just shovelware.
That's a relief. We got the expanded Persona 5 coming soon. Still gotta get Control.

Pissmaster General

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I legit don't understand how the Switch is successful.
You can pick up the console and take it with you to the bathroom so you don't have to pause your game every time you have to take a shit.

Sony had just about everything that was appealing about the Switch in their Playstation Vita, 5 years before the Switch was even released, with even a few nicer things. A bright, vivid OLED screen and a clicky, proper D-pad are a couple of things the Switch could benefit from. It even had a TV-out port on the top, though the cable for it was never produced. Instead, they ended up going with the utterly rétarded Playstation TV, a microconsole that was just a Vita that stayed plugged into your TV. It wouldn't allow you to play a lot of Vita games due to so many using the touchscreen at some point, and there was no way to transfer your saves between your portable Vita and your PSTV. Even ejecting the memory card and swapping it between the systems would shuffle your icons around, because reasons.

Last edited:

Puar

My avatar doesn't match my name.
kiwifarms.net
I own a PS4 and a Switch and play the latter more.

Most stuff I had on my PS4 were Jrpgs and old pixel stuff I got off PSN. That and an imported copy of Teslelagrad from the UK. Vita was amazing as well.

I am not fond of Sony's new policy bullshit, however.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
It's too bad because the Vita is a nice piece of hardware, much nicer than the PSP with its shitty square button and ejecting disks. Sony dropped the ball so hard with mediocre first-party output and way too expensive memory cards, and then left it to die when it didn't sell.
The physical games for the vita will be fucking expensive in the future.

Stuff like Tales of Hearts R and Ys Memories of Celceta Silver Edition will be very costly. Vita is the perfect storm of possible $300 games.

Exclusive to the Platform
Low Production Run
System didn't have large mainstream success
90% of the games on there are from japan

Right now collectors are stockpiling anything Vita related like it doesn't matter. People went out of their way to get the Vita Edition of Guacamelee because it's print run was like 1,500 copies or some shit, despite the game not coming with the DLC like the PS4 and Switch versions did with the Guacamelee 1&2 combo pack.

There's also the Vita version of Night Trap and other oddities that got physical releases.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Sony's made many purchases of companies recently most notably Insomniac. They also did well with their new Spider-Man deal with Disney that will tie into future Spider-man games.

While Xbox has bought more well known developers they've done jack fucking shit with them. Obsidian is going to become another Rareware where all potential is squandered.

PS4 was probably the most that sony has expanded it's first party offerings since the original playstation. In contrast Microsoft fucking killed any interest people have had in Halo and Gears of War.

The PS5 is probably going to force Nintendo to release a new console early again, the Switch's third party support is going to dry up if everyone is making stuff for the PS5. It takes eons for stuff to be ported, just look how long Dragon Quest took and how much downgrades had to happen. Capcom can't even port Monster Hunter World on the switch. Dark Souls 1 was the only Souls get to get a release and 2, 3, and the other Souls-like games have not made an appearance.

Pissmaster General

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The physical games for the vita will be fucking expensive in the future.

Stuff like Tales of Hearts R and Ys Memories of Celceta Silver Edition will be very costly. Vita is the perfect storm of possible $300 games.

Exclusive to the Platform
Low Production Run
System didn't have large mainstream success
90% of the games on there are from japan

Right now collectors are stockpiling anything Vita related like it doesn't matter. People went out of their way to get the Vita Edition of Guacamelee because it's print run was like 1,500 copies or some shit, despite the game not coming with the DLC like the PS4 and Switch versions did with the Guacamelee 1&2 combo pack.

There's also the Vita version of Night Trap and other oddities that got physical releases.
Yeah, I figured it would, so I bought up whatever I could find for cheap.

I never did buy a single Limited Run game for Vita, so who knows if anything I picked up will hold value. Borderlands 2 might, since that was a digital pack-in near the end of Vita's life and a very popular game in its own right. It's also the only way to play the game on a handheld.

Same goes for Persona 4 and Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, though MGS HD doesn't play on the PS TV without hacks. Disgaea 3 and 4 were great on Vita, though they seem likely to hit Switch eventually, what with 1 and 5 being on there. And that's made me wonder: if a game gets a Switch port, will that hurt the Vita version's value?

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I figured it would, so I bought up whatever I could find for cheap.

I never did buy a single Limited Run game for Vita, so who knows if anything I picked up will hold value. Borderlands 2 might, since that was a digital pack-in near the end of Vita's life and a very popular game in its own right. It's also the only way to play the game on a handheld.

Same goes for Persona 4 and Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, though MGS HD doesn't play on the PS TV without hacks. Disgaea 3 and 4 were great on Vita, though they seem likely to hit Switch eventually, what with 1 and 5 being on there. And that's made me wonder: if a game gets a Switch port, will that hurt the Vita version's value?
Disgaea 4 Complete is getting a port on the PS4 and Switch. 2 and 3 still need a modern port.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think what's most interesting about this is how it signifies the death of the television as the centerpiece of home and culture. For millions of years, this role was fulfilled by the fire and the hearth. That was what people sat and watched when the day was done.

In the 20th century, the television supplanted the hearth, beaming culture directly to humanity from centralized locations. Naturally, game systems were designed to interface with that new paradigm.

Now the television is dying, so producing a self contained system makes more sense than ever. Where do you get most of your media? You get it on your laptop as you lie in bed. Everyone does. I haven't touched my PS4 in a month. I'm dicking around on my laptop in bed every day. That's the future. The hearth is portable, now.

Even more evocative to me is the parabolic acceleration in collective change. Millions of years staring at a fire. 100 years staring at a television. 20 years staring at a computer screen. Something is coming, pulling us all out of time.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I think what's most interesting about this is how it signifies the death of the television as the centerpiece of home and culture. For millions of years, this role was fulfilled by the fire and the hearth. That was what people sat and watched when the day was done.

In the 20th century, the television supplanted the hearth, beaming culture directly to humanity from centralized locations. Naturally, game systems were designed to interface with that new paradigm.

Now the television is dying, so producing a self contained system makes more sense than ever. Where do you get most of your media? You get it on your laptop as you lie in bed. Everyone does. I haven't touched my PS4 in a month. I'm dicking around on my laptop in bed every day. That's the future. The hearth is portable, now.

Even more evocative to me is the parabolic acceleration in collective change. Millions of years staring at a fire. 100 years staring at a television. 20 years staring at a computer screen. Something is coming, pulling us all out of time.
This is wrong and also exceptional

Nobody fucking buys laptops they buy Ipads and smartphones

If people want to game they don't buy a laptop they buy a desktop

Laptops are the literal exceptional island pygmies of PC machines and they're one volcano blast away from going extinct. It's why people who ask to buy a Gaming Laptop get shit on because they're buying overpriced garbage.

Saying portability is the future is wrong because the switch isn't fucking portable. I can't fit that shit in my pocket. The Switch Lite is defective and they charge extra for all the basic switch accessories that the larger model came with. The portable aspect is the absolute worst aspect of the machine next to the joycons being garbage. You need to bring a separate bag just for the switch. All together it weights almost the same as a PS4.

Americans spend a hell of a lot of money on TVs and Monitors, the console market is also the biggest.

There's also still the stigma of playing the switch in public while people don;t care if you fiddle with your phone. Mostly because a phone is a general use device while the switch is a specialized machine.

Recoil

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Laptops and phones are the primary mediums through which the majority of people experience media. Maybe not games, but most people now look to their lappy or their phone as their source for the new. That reality has created a shift in the way people consume media and so it's only a matter of time before the idea of a centralized distribution point becomes completely anachronistic.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Laptops and phones are the primary mediums through which the majority of people experience media. Maybe not games, but most people now look to their lappy or their phone as their source for the new. That reality has created a shift in the way people consume media and so it's only a matter of time before the idea of a centralized distribution point becomes completely anachronistic.
Phones are a centralized distribution point you have the Apple Store and the Android Store.

Steam and GOG is where people go to buy games for the PC

PSN and the E-Shop are for consoles

You're always going to have a centralized point for all the devices because companies make the products and they want their brand to be #1 on their own platform. It's why Microsoft and Apple tried to sue each other for PC dominance over the operating system.

Brands are not obsolete, those will always exist and as long as you have brands you're going to have proprietary stuff that won't mesh with their competition.

Recoil

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You're always going to have a centralized point for all the devices because companies make the products and they want their brand to be #1 on their own platform. It's why Microsoft and Apple tried to sue each other for PC dominance over the operating system.
The 'central point' is not a tangible entity in this new paradigm. It's a concept, nothing more. There is nothing physical, software from steam et al is nothing more than fiat. People buy it because they trust it. It has no actual value, it's ones and zeroes.

The megacorps selling all these ones and zeroes exist only as icons in the mind of the consumer. They are no more a seller of products than Jeff Bezos.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
The 'central point' is not a tangible entity in this new paradigm. It's a concept, nothing more. There is nothing physical, software from steam et al is nothing more than fiat. People buy it because they trust it. It has no actual value, it's ones and zeroes.

The megacorps selling all these ones and zeroes exist only as icons in the mind of the consumer. They are no more a seller of products than Jeff Bezos.
Except data networks are not concepts they're actual physical servers that exist.

When people talk about software rights it's about owning all the data you paid for and having a hard copy to do what you please with. It's about not leaving the data on some other Megacorp server which may go dark and leave you high and dry.

Look at music entirely digital, you can buy whatever album you want and put it on whatever device you want.

You know what made a resurgence? Fucking Records which have now outsold CDs since the first time since 1989. You now have people making improvements to old technology and revitalizing long forgotten patents which were dumped when other media forms were coming out. You can walk into best buy or PC Richards and get a brand new record player.

Physical media will never truly go away.

Recoil

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know what made a resurgence? Fucking Records which have now outsold CDs since the first time since 1989.
Because people understand on an innate level that owning a physical copy of something is different than having a temporary license to experience it. Vinyl Records are the zenith of that principle.

People realize - subconsciously - that ownership implies tangibility. Terms of Service does not.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino