Psychics/Mediums -

  • Stinky Indonesians are trying to spam the forum with ad placement links. If you see a post containing inline links or direct link placements to what seem like commercial products, only somewhat related to the thread, please report it. Fake passports/documents and brand name clothing like shoes seem common.

jaijai

kiwifarms.net
A work colleague of mine today was talking about how her partner has got tickets to see a 'professional psychic' who's currently on tour in our local area. She has apparently seen her before, and called her scarily accurate.

So, what are your thoughts on those who claim to have psychic abilities, in particular those who use them for stage acts or profit?
 

teheviltwin

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
jaijai said:
A work colleague of mine today was talking about how her partner has got tickets to see a 'professional psychic' who's currently on tour in our local area. She has apparently seen her before, and called her scarily accurate.

So, what are your thoughts on those who claim to have psychic abilities, in particular those who use them for stage acts or profit?


[youtube]2rR9RChkhMk[/youtube]

EDIT: if you can stand the seriously annoying camera work.
 

jaijai

kiwifarms.net
teheviltwin said:
jaijai said:
A work colleague of mine today was talking about how her partner has got tickets to see a 'professional psychic' who's currently on tour in our local area. She has apparently seen her before, and called her scarily accurate.

So, what are your thoughts on those who claim to have psychic abilities, in particular those who use them for stage acts or profit?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rR9RChkhMk

EDIT: if you can stand the seriously annoying camera work.

Derren Brown and Richard Dawkins in one video? Hell yes.

This psychic i'm talking about is one Derren Brown really dislikes. I think he did an expose on her.
 

teheviltwin

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
jaijai said:
Derren Brown and Richard Dawkins in one video? Hell yes.

This psychic i'm talking about is one Derren Brown really dislikes. I think he did an expose on her.

He did a few in the Derren Brown Investigates series. Loved it. XD
 

Grand Number of Pounds

Sonichu fan
kiwifarms.net
Surtur said:
Didn't a notable psychic like die yesterday?

Yes, Sylvia Browne died yesterday. She told a mother that her kidnapped daughter (Amanda Berry) was dead, and that her death had something to do with water. The mom died a few years ago and her daughter was saved earlier this year.

So yeah, I'm not too fond of Sylvia Browne or psychics in general.
 

A-Stump

Dr Robotdick
kiwifarms.net
Anyone who believes in psychics deserves to be robbed to learn their lesson. That's my honest stance because we live in times where bullshit is easy to decipher and if you can't, you're dumb.
 

jaijai

kiwifarms.net
GrandNumberOfPounds said:
Surtur said:
Didn't a notable psychic like die yesterday?

Yes, Sylvia Browne died yesterday. She told a mother that her kidnapped daughter (Amanda Berry) was dead, and that her death had something to do with water. The mom died a few years ago and her daughter was saved earlier this year.

So yeah, I'm not too fond of Sylvia Browne or psychics in general.

Wow, I knew she'd told the mother she was dead, but not with that detail. The poor woman must have imagined all kinds...
 

Foulmouth

How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's funny how few psychics win the lotto.
 

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A-Stump said:
Anyone who believes in psychics deserves to be robbed to learn their lesson. That's my honest stance because we live in times where bullshit is easy to decipher and if you can't, you're dumb.
Eh, well, things like sleight of hand, cold reading and misdirection can be extremely convincing. I would say that someone talented in these sort of things could very easily outsmart almost all average people they try their skills on. Bullshit actually isn't easy to decipher. I guess if you very firmly know for certain that it's impossible that psychics genuinely exist, then you could probably have the confidence to shut them down. But it's common enough that people can get tricked by these sorts of people that I wouldn't really blame them, necessarily.
 

jaijai

kiwifarms.net
It's more about the nature of what these people do for me. Grief and the pain from losing a loved one can be awful, and some psychics (i'm not saying every single psychic) use that emotion to their own benefit. I find that abhorrent. Sleight of hand and misdirection are a different matter, that's something integral to any magic act, and I don't see that as wrong.
 

Descent

Shiny Hunter
kiwifarms.net
GrandNumberOfPounds said:
Surtur said:
Didn't a notable psychic like die yesterday?

Yes, Sylvia Browne died yesterday. She told a mother that her kidnapped daughter (Amanda Berry) was dead, and that her death had something to do with water. The mom died a few years ago and her daughter was saved earlier this year.

So yeah, I'm not too fond of Sylvia Browne or psychics in general.

That's not the only bullshit she's said http://www.stopsylvia.com/

People like Sylvia Browne should be arrested.
 
R

RV 229

Guest
kiwifarms.net
I'm not really sure about people who claim to be psychic, to be honest with you. However, there is one form of divination that actually responds to you when you ask it questions; the Pendulum. It's usually a crystal suspended on a chain, that answers yes/no questions by swinging in different directions. The user is NOT to intentionally swing it, but hold it as steady as possible instead.

I have two pendulums myself, and I can personally tell you that they do change directions on their own when you ask them yes/no questions. They don't just do it for me, they have done it for everybody that I allowed to try it out. One guy I know freaked out and dropped it when it changed direction, and caused the tip to break off... As for how accurate they are, I have no clue. .-.
 

Surtur

Destroyer of the Universe.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Cyan said:
I'm not really sure about people who claim to be psychic, to be honest with you. However, there is one form of divination that actually responds to you when you ask it questions; the Pendulum. It's usually a crystal suspended on a chain, that answers yes/no questions by swinging in different directions. The user is NOT to intentionally swing it, but hold it as steady as possible instead.

I have two pendulums myself, and I can personally tell you that they do change directions on their own when you ask them yes/no questions. They don't just do it for me, they have done it for everybody that I allowed to try it out. One guy I know freaked out and dropped it when it changed direction, and caused the tip to break off... As for how accurate they are, I have no clue. .-.

It's called the ideomotor effect, its the same principle behind Ouija boards. You may not think you are moving it, but you are through subtle muscle movements. Try it blindfolded sometime.
 

Judge Holden

Explorer in the further regions of autism
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To cut a long rant short, mediums and psycics along with faith healers are nothing but astonishingly evil and callous vultures preying on the weak, the vulnerable, and the heartbroken by feeding them promises of contacting their lost love ones and then stripping their wallets. In a civilised world they would be raped to death by wild boars after being stung half to death by japanese hornets

Personally I suggest anyone interested in this genre of scumbag look up peter popoff on google and youtube
 

Surtur

Destroyer of the Universe.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Judge Holden said:
To cut a long rant short, mediums and psycics along with faith healers are nothing but astonishingly evil and callous vultures preying on the weak, the vulnerable, and the heartbroken by feeding them promises of contacting their lost love ones and then stripping their wallets. In a civilised world they would be raped to death by wild boars after being stung half to death by japanese hornets

Personally I suggest anyone interested in this genre of scumbag look up peter popoff on google and youtube


While I don't think anyone should be raped, I agree with the loathing I have for cowards like Peter Popoff.
 

Uzumaki

Black Iron General of the Evil Army Shadow Line
kiwifarms.net
Marvin said:
A-Stump said:
Anyone who believes in psychics deserves to be robbed to learn their lesson. That's my honest stance because we live in times where bullshit is easy to decipher and if you can't, you're dumb.
Eh, well, things like sleight of hand, cold reading and misdirection can be extremely convincing. I would say that someone talented in these sort of things could very easily outsmart almost all average people they try their skills on. Bullshit actually isn't easy to decipher. I guess if you very firmly know for certain that it's impossible that psychics genuinely exist, then you could probably have the confidence to shut them down. But it's common enough that people can get tricked by these sorts of people that I wouldn't really blame them, necessarily.

I don't know that that's true. There are psychics all over the place skilled at cold reading, and the only people I ever see buy into it are people who are already inclined to believe stupid bullshit anyway. Granted the plural of anecdote isn't evidence, but I've never known someone who believed in psychics for whom psychic phenomena was the only crazy bullshit they believed in. There's some pretty steep table stakes before you're in a position where dumb word games are going to work on you. Even when cold reading is edited for television to make it look more accurate it's an obvious scam to anyone with a brain and an ounce of skepticism.

"Oh I'm looking for an M connection. Someone in this room of 100 people has known someone with an M in their name, or has an M in their name, or engaged in an activity with an M in the name? No? Nobody? Maybe it was N? No? T?"

"I'm Trevor!"

"Yeah because they told me to talk to Trevor."

"OH MY GOD YOU A WIZARD!"

I say better these people give their money to hucksters than political candidates.
 
Top