• ”For example in this post a user called Dynastia shares a victim’s phone number saying ‘Fight him irl’ (meaning ‘fight him in real life’). This appears to be counselling or procuring felony harassment since inevitably such victims do get frightening, anonymous calls.”

PTSD on tumblr

Discussion in 'Tumblr (◡‿◡✿)' started by CatParty, Jan 20, 2016.

Forum Guidelines

This board is for lolcows whose primary modus operandi is Tumblr, especially those who adhere to severe delusions that defy logic, reason, and science for the purpose of protecting their personal feelings.

• Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum. Your life story is shit and nobody cares.
  • Be civil. Don't get angry over Lolcows. If you need to tell people you're better than someone, you're probably not.
  • Don't white knight. Don't turn threads into an intervention. If you want to help, contact them privately.
  • Backup everything! Tumblr is a great shelter for Lolcows because it enables them to delete content and hide very quickly. Deny that ability.
  • Check your privilege every day.

@Meowthkip, @trombonista

1. That phonephobia not ptsd

Telephone phobia. Telephone phobia (telephonophobia, telephobia, phone phobia) is reluctance or fear of making or taking phone calls, literally, "fear of telephones". It is considered to be a type of social phobia or social anxiety.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    DICKPICSRUS

DICKPICSRUS indecisive about my avatar

kiwifarms.net
  2. How does he "get really bad PTSD" from talking on the phone? Will his self-diagnosed PTSD only kick in once he's called with a stranger?

• Agree Agree x 6
    denpakei

denpakei It's not all so bad!

kiwifarms.net
  3. It's an exceptional misuse of language. Really what they mean is "I get nervous and feel super awkward talking on the phone", not "I feel like I'm back in fuckin' 'Nam whenever my Mom calls me up."

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #123 SeaPancake, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    SeaPancake

SeaPancake Sick of your nosy ass

kiwifarms.net
  4. Sounds like these people have issues with interoceptive cues (bodily sensations) and dealing with that appropriately. So, any unpleasant feeling, sense of being overwhelmed, anxiety or stress response is considered "PTSD". They may also have issues with emotional regulation/emotional hyper-reactivity. Emotional dysregulation can occur with a number of conditions including PTSD, ADHD, Autism (hypersensitivity to sensory input), BiPolar, Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD etc. They may have a high-conflict personality.

I have noticed that some people with chronic fatigue syndrome (probably caused by a psychological basis) also seem to develop a reactivity to things. Their window of tolerance is small.

If you keep getting set-off (stress-response) by the smallest thing it is going to cause cumulative problems (hypersensitivity/oversensitive nervous system). This then leads to issues with relating and dealing with others, situations, and the personalisation of even the smallest perceived slights. These people would have had signs of these problems from childhood and adolescence. It is evidenced by their way of relating to the world e.g. passive/inhibited/aggressive/dependent. It's not something that magically appears (unless you have a genetic and environmental predisposition to developing PTSD and do develop PTSD from a traumatic event). Complex PTSD is another matter altogether.

So, they may have some anxiety, stress or other related disorder but not necessarily PTSD (according to DSM-V criteria).

I like it when people say the hassle of dealing with certain systems (+ knockbacks/not getting what they want) causes them PTSD. I like to raise my eyebrow at these people.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 5
    Aurelia

Aurelia Game Over.

kiwifarms.net
  5. So what you're saying is that some people are born fragile. It's an inevitability, but I have to wonder if their anxiety is exacerbated by modern society. Who are we kidding, of course it is. The question remains is if their oftentimes legitimate and near-constant "I'm feeling so attacked right now by psychic anxiety ghosts" would be alleviated if they were dropped in a place with little stimulation. Every place has its stressors, but of course some places are more laid-back than others.

I think what's worse is that we're not really teaching our kids how to identify or recognize what is making us anxious and prickly, because that's some gay hippie shit to "be in touch with your feelings" because the Big World doesn't care if you're anxious or hyper-sensitive to stimulation. What the Big World doesn't realize is that if you have a bunch of Anxiety Bombs walking around, it's going to put a noticeable kink in how well society functions. If we don't teach kids how to cope and handle themselves, then we get these weirdos claiming PTSD when it most certainly is not.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Feels Feels x 1
    SeaPancake

SeaPancake Sick of your nosy ass

kiwifarms.net
  6. i think being afraid of random people calling you is like how fucking normal person reacts, not god damn PTSD

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Dicaprio Delorean

Dicaprio Delorean got left behind at a burger king

kiwifarms.net

7. That's exactly it. There are some people who are born "fragile". There is a whole lot of research on the evolutionary basis of this "fragility". Modern society also contributes to this exacerbation via food/drinks. If you have high anxiety it's not a good idea to eat lots of sugar or caffeine (stimulant stuff). And through technology, too much focused attention increases Beta waves (EEG-related). In some people, it may disrupt their circadian cycle. It just contributes to a never-ending cycle with regard to stress/anxiety. Some people also develop what's termed 'learned helplessness'. Ideally, parents/society should be teaching children how to develop resiliency, coping, and stress management skills. Some places actually do this by incorporating meditation, mindfulness, exercise, cognitive-behavioural and other related things to the school curriculum.

The problem is that there is also a lot of "entitlement" in our society and people don't value/respect stuff given freely (or handed to them). People tend to value things if they have to work hard to obtain it. It's why some parents are now taking the initiative to teach the children the value of money (that it doesn't just grow on trees).

• Agree Agree x 7
    Aurelia

Aurelia Game Over.

kiwifarms.net
  8. Causing cuckoldry and facial expressions like this.

betaface.jpg

• Winner Winner x 5
    AnOminous

AnOminous 20 year stellar government career
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  9. haha, not quite. Excess Beta does something like this:

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    Aurelia

Aurelia Game Over.

kiwifarms.net
  10. So I have a buddy that's former military, and she works with this girl (I talked about her before in the asexual thread).

My buddy had PTSD legit, she goes to therapist about it, takes meds to help her deal and lives a mostly functional life (we all have our bad days). This girl is the type to make up that she has every problem under the sun. If she really had all the mental problems she says she has she would be locked away. She knows my friend has PTSD, because my friend works hard to spread actual awareness about it. Well one day, she goes up to my friend and asks her,

So how did you get diagnosed with PTSD?
    Um, I have actual PTSD and after many sessions and questions the doctor diagnosed me with it.
    Yeah but, what did you say that convinced them you had PTSD? What do I need to say to my doctor?

My friend just walked away after this, and lost all respect for this person.

• Feels Feels x 18
    Nekromantik

Nekromantik May or may not be spooky.

kiwifarms.net
  11. Like, most of these kids are "self-dxed" and complain about not getting a doctor. Long ago if a kid wanted to go to the doctor, they got their own fucking job. They don't have a chance at getting obamacare, most of them are probably upper-middle class and white.

This is what I want to say to them: "Go on and ask your 'abusive' father or mother to take you to a mental hospital, they will laugh in your face and maybe make you have 'flashbacks' of what they allegedly did to you."

• Agree Agree x 8
    kiwifarms.net
  12. Being abused as a child and developing PSTD and not knowing it, until you're in therapy for an unrelated mental illness, is no joke. Mental illness is not fun or something to be taken lightly. People DIE from untreated mental illness, including PTSD. Medications have fun side effects, and are expensive as hell, and once you start you can't quit easily - or even skip a dose. Then there's the fun of not always being able to hold down a job because even with meds you're never sure if you're going to wake up stable enough to go to work. Therapy is hard too, because you have to be completely honest with your therapist and trust them.

Therapy sperging. I don't know how to spoiler.

PTSD can be cured fairly well. The best therapy for PTSD is EMDR, and I swear to all that is unholy, it is the closest fucking thing to magic that we have in this magicless world. It sounds like pure bullshit, but it WORKS, and it works FAST.

You sit with these little paddles in your hands. The therapist tells you to think of a period of trauma in your life (I thought of a time I got almost side-swiped by an 18-wheeler going highway speeds while I was merging, I was fine, car was fine, but I was a new driver and it was a lot more traumatic than it sounds). You recreate the memory in your head, smells, sounds, feels, thoughts, everything. The more details the better. The therapist turns on the device and the paddles alternate vibrating while you literally relive your trauma.

The therapist watches you to monitor your breathing and other physical signs. If you show signs of significent distress, they stop and you visit your "happy place" that you have already built in your head. Then you start over.

If no distress, the therapist stops and asks you how you feel. What did you see, hear, smell, do, etc.

You do this a couple more times, and after a while your brain works through the trauma and processes it. In my case I "saw" the interstate traffic clear up, myself merging successfully, and then navigating stop and go traffic with no stress.

I am now able to drive in the city that my near accident occurred in with significantly less stress, and the stress I do feel is primarily not knowing my way around the city.

PTSD is caused by one side of the brain (I believe it's the right side) reliving memories, but no access to the rational side of the brain that says "this event is over, it's done, you're safe". EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprogramming) activates both sides of the brain by those vibrating paddles. You can look back and forth too, but I suspect most therapists use the paddles for simplicities sake.

It has something like a 80-90% success rate in CURING PTSD over time, and it's fast. Most of my traumas I worked on were addressed in one 50 minute session, only one took me two sessions. I was unable to address all my traumas with that therapist, but I do show significant signs of progress.

It requires a lot of trust between you and the therapist and reliving the trauma can be INTENSE. My PSTD was triggered by relentless abuse occurring over a long period of time, rather than anything overly traumatic, so EMDR wasn't the best choice for me.

It's WORK, which is why the Tumblrina's won't do it. They just want to have an excuse for why their live is so hard. They know their life is boring and just like everyone else's and they want to feel special. So they latch on to mental illness to make them ~uniq~ not realizing how fucking hard it is to live with real mental illness.

I'd gladly trade my real dx's with one of these tumblr peeps.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Feels Feels x 2
    • Powerlevel Powerlevel x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  13. why do these people think mental illness makes them unique? thats why personalities exist (and no, you dont need 500 of them to be cool, tumblr teens) in reality it fucking sucks.

• Agree Agree x 6
    kiwifarms.net
  14. The illness is their personality and the get out of jail free card. You’ve gotta be one hell of a boring person to have just one defining trait.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Inquisitor_BadAss

Inquisitor_BadAss Kiwi Farms best girl

kiwifarms.net
  15. like, if they were seriously ill and wanted to recover they wouldn't make their lives about it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    kiwifarms.net
  16. Which proves that these people don't actually have a mental illness and thy only thing wrong with them is that they are shitty people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    FierceBrosnan

FierceBrosnan Gettin too old for this shit.

kiwifarms.net
  17. actually, it reminds me of this one illness called Munchhausen syndrome

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/munchausen-syndrome#1

basically a disorder that causes people to fake disorders.

• Agree Agree x 5
    kiwifarms.net
  18. Some of these cases of internet PTSD are definitely Munchausens syndrome can't deny that, but so many are just Tumblrinas looking for attention and faking disorders to get it. Legit mental illness and trauma aren't things people really want to go through so it's sickening when there are people that fake it because they believe it makes them special.

EDIT: grammar

• Agree Agree x 5
    #138 FierceBrosnan, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    FierceBrosnan

FierceBrosnan Gettin too old for this shit.

kiwifarms.net
  19. Now they can't get a job if they have PTSD. I'm sure that would actually be their excuse too. And if they have insurance from their parents I can't imagine many of them having the gall to ask mommy and daddy to get them diagnosed with something with symptoms they got from Wikipedia. Most of them either just want more attention or suffer from common adolescent anxieties. Those anxieties need special labels now because everyone needs that snowflake cred to impress their friends.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Dysnomia

Dysnomia Differently Abled Donald

kiwifarms.net
  20. these tumblrinas actually make me feel bad for kids that are ACTUALLY being abused and need help but cant go get any because they'll be labeled as attention whores thanks to tumblr.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.