Public Transportation, free travel, and the Cult of the Urbanite - Or: Ferdie refuses to give up his car

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Xarpho

plz no bully
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure there is an argument here outside of the pot nigger attack. No zoning and minimal government ends up looking like this:
View attachment 3277178

still dense and walkable. incredible amounts of money were spent to rebuild cities around cars.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say, bro. I see horrific-looking slums on one side and some lushly surrounded but vaguely dystopian-looking apartment blocks on the right. Is the idea that without government intervention you get shit like that, and we need zoning and more government to prevent that? Or are you seriously suggesting that slums are "dense and walkable", and that's unironically a good thing?

TurdFondler

BBQ Wars Casualty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You can buy kei trucks in the US, they’re just “for farm use only”
I mean domestically. In Canada we can run kei trucks but they are at least 6 grand for a 25 year old model, due to import rules.

We can sell all kinds of retarded boomer sports trikes but anything with actual utility is missing. There's no cheap car with a box or flat deck. Even the 80s had the fuckin Plymouth rampage. Just slap a fuckin flat deck on a 250cc Indian and sell it to me, dammit.

Duke Nukem

Спасите матушку Россию! Смерть Путину!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd rather go through public transport than having to inevitably deal with "self-driving" cars in the future.
The moment you insult dear leader, a hidden computer program overrides the controls and redirects the exhaust into the car while locking you inside long enough for the carbon monoxide to do its job.

By the way, that would be a brutally efficient way for a regime to deal with its dissidents. You could even save money on gas by not driving them all the way to the re-education camps.

ToroidalBoat

wat
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
possible example of propaganda: In Civilization 2, the Mass Transit "city improvement" eliminates pollution caused by population.

Last edited:

Alex Yiik

What the hell is going on!?!?!?
kiwifarms.net
A possible example of propaganda:

In the game Civilization 2, the Mass Transit "city improvement" eliminates pollution caused by the population.
I remember in Sim City on the SNES, it was optimal to only have railroads and zero regular roads. Either type of road worked identically; the game only cared if you had some form of transportation touching a zone. Rail cost more but didn't produce any pollution for some reason. Also, no roads = no traffic, which cut out an entire metric that your citizens could complain about.

I hesitate to call it propaganda, it's more likely just immature game design from the '90s.

Flaming Insignias

Fodlan's Greatest Noble
kiwifarms.net
I remember in Sim City on the SNES, it was optimal to only have railroads and zero regular roads. Either type of road worked identically; the game only cared if you had some form of transportation touching a zone. Rail cost more but didn't produce any pollution for some reason. Also, no roads = no traffic, which cut out an entire metric that your citizens could complain about.

I hesitate to call it propaganda, it's more likely just immature game design from the '90s.
Some of it is probably just simplistic game design, but it definitely feels like the people that dream up "walkable cities" use video games as inspiration for why they need to get rid of automobiles. They only seem to consider the statistical aspects of their plans rather than the on-the-ground realities of "green" initiatives.