UN Puerto Rico Votes to Join U.S.A. as 51st State -

BR55

kiwifarms.net
Considering the root cause of their financial collapse is kinda our fault?
Yeah, fuck it, why not.
We can keep it at 50 states, we'll just get rid of one of the shit ones nobody likes, like Florida or North Carolina.
Add West Virginia back on to Virginia, merge the Carolinas and make Jefferson a thing. 3 solid Red states for the price of one shitty island.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I don't think Puerto Rico's political parties translate very well into Dems or Reps tbh. Its Dem leaning but its a rather socially conservative place.

You want to trade one out of the three of America's cash cow's in exchange for a broke island that can't even grow bananas right?
I actually think it would be a reasonable compromise, since Republicans might, in theory, not want to admit a Democratic-leaning state into having 2 Senate seats, which is what we're really talking about, to split off a right-wing part of California into a separate state. Something including Orange County, for instance.

This compromise would preserve the small state balance of the Senate, make making Puerto Rico a state politically neutral, and plus, the stars would look nice. I'm pretty sure you could put 52 stars into just an aesthetically pleasing a shape as the 50 there now.

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's 2017: colonies shouldn't be a thing anymore least of all for the United States. They should be forced to have a vote where the only two options are to become a state (after a 5 year transition period to get their shit together) or GTFO and try their hand at being a banana republic.

Getting rid of the Jones Act would fix most of their economic problems and I have a feeling they would be a swing state politically. I can't see traditional Latin Americans Catholics being very gung-ho on the Democrats given their current dalliance with Bill Nye tranny bullshit.

Pikimon

Exceptionally Overachieving Mexican
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I actually think it would be a reasonable compromise, since Republicans might, in theory, not want to admit a Democratic-leaning state into having 2 Senate seats, which is what we're really talking about, to split off a right-wing part of California into a separate state. Something including Orange County, for instance.

This compromise would preserve the small state balance of the Senate, make making Puerto Rico a state politically neutral, and plus, the stars would look nice. I'm pretty sure you could put 52 stars into just an aesthetically pleasing a shape as the 50 there now.
The Right-wing part of California is also the poorest region of California, especially since Orange County has bleeding blue recently. Creating a "six Californias" scenario would make things worse for the people who live in the rural areas of California considering that they have nothing in terms of an economy besides agriculture.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

Coldgrip

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Way.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You want to trade one out of the three of America's cash cow's in exchange for a broke island that can't even grow bananas right?
Yes.

Just make it an unincorporated territory and sink part of it into the ocean. Then build a wall around that and turn it into a prison.

Piss Clam

Squeeze me.
kiwifarms.net

Morose_Obesity

Let white people enjoy things
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Remaking the flags would create lots of jobs so why not? They deserve to be a state.
Edit: or allow California to secede in its place, that would be a net gain
Texas would do fine as their own country as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: Marvin

Pikimon

Exceptionally Overachieving Mexican
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No they wouldn't the entire reason why states like Texas, California and New York do well economically is because they're connected to one of the largest buying markets in the world without having to worry about tariffs or costs over trade.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino