Questions About Adobe Flash -

The Pink Panther

Ate Pinkly
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Since it is dying next year, I just want to know what the general consensus on Adobe Flash was. Has it always been a useful piece of software for creating Flash-animated/Flash functioning programs on your computer as well as creating them and streaming on Adobe Flash or has it run its course? Adobe Flash was an important aspect to the early eras of the internet, because a lot of programs (games or animations) ran on it. I'm just wondering what currently is a replacement for Adobe Flash and what technology are people using now to run computer programs.

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
I'd say that the only thing that I'll miss all the flash games on the internet we enjoyed. Without flash we won't get to enjoy them anymore. F
I can probably see some of them converted, but only time will tell whether or not that actually happens.

It's a shame really, considering just how many childhoods of the late 90s/early 2000s relied on Flash-made games.

• Agree
Reactions: That Damned Tiger

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Twas a fucking great program but Adobe had to Adobe and they fucked it all up.
Now that flash is dead they moved their dickery to the rest of the "creative suite" proper and the shithole we live in now was created. (Although Photoshop has had terrible updates since around CS4. WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO SLIGHTLY OFFSET MARQUEE SELECTIONS?!)

If you want to look at flash player resurrection projects there's lightspark and ruffle.

• Agree
Reactions: Fish-Eyed Fool

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
Flash was always cancer.

Photoshop-image mapping "web developers" could now animate shit and add annoying sounds at the cost of having more than three of these "websites" opened at once took up half your fucking ram and damn near every cpu cycle available.

for about 3 years everybody thought their website needed a fucking flash intro, even websites that were literally just "we are business, we do/sell x, y and z, contact us here"

it spread your computers cheeks and gave an enticing jiggle towards the filth of the open internet. I'd say theres probably 10x more code just dedicated to fixing security holes in flash than code dedicated to core functionality.

It did allow for "standardized-ish" video playback on sites like youtube,etc instead of windows media player,divx,realplayer,video player of the fucking week addons and the malware that eventually got packed in with them.

There was some cool shit that was made with flash, it did get a few people into programming.

something, something, a broken clock is right twice a day, but yes, flash was absolute fucking cancer.

Last edited:

Irrelevant

kiwifarms.net
It did allow for "standardized-ish" video playback on sites like youtube,etc instead of windows media player,divx,realplayer,video player of the fucking week addons and the malware that eventually got packed in with them.
This really was revolutionary. I remember being actually impressed the first time I saw a Flash ad using the new video feature which allowed it to appear seamlessly inline without the UI bloat of Quicktime, MPC, Real, etc. Also if it wasn't for videos I'm pretty sure Chrome and Firefox would have dumped Flash ten years ago.

Maggots on a Train v2

new and improved account
kiwifarms.net
Flash was always cancer.

Photoshop-image mapping "web developers" could now animate shit and add annoying sounds at the cost of having more than three of these "websites" opened at once took up half your fucking ram and damn near every cpu cycle available.

for about 3 years everybody thought their website needed a fucking flash intro, even websites that were literally just "we are business, we do/sell x, y and z, contact us here"

it spread your computers cheeks and gave an enticing jiggle towards the filth of the open internet. I'd say theres probably 10x more code just dedicated to fixing security holes in flash than code dedicated to core functionality.

There was some cool shit that was made with flash, it did get a few people into programming.

something, something, a broken clock is right twice a day, but yes, flash was absolute fucking cancer.
The worst part was when you would discover a whole website that was nothing but gigantic flash files. 90% of the time it was so fucking huge it couldn't even load fully without timing out.

Fish-Eyed Fool

You just suck on that sucker, sucka.
kiwifarms.net
As someone who installed Flash regularly or users, I found it, and everything to do with Adobe, absolutely annoying, and I'm glad it's dead. Now if the entire bloated Creative Suite with their cloud-based cancer could follow, that'd be wonderful.

• Agree
Reactions: That Damned Tiger
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino