Questions you might ask about Linux - Local dog need some insight for a quick quiz

Glad I couldn't help

Ohai!
kiwifarms.net
What the fuck did you just say about me motherfucker?
I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the MIT, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on the dark web, and I have over 300 confirmed hacks. I am trained in electro-warfare and I'm the top black hat in the entire US hacking community. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe your disks the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of glow-in-the-dark CIA niggas across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can steel all your bitcoins in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with VBA. Not only am I extensively trained in shell scripting, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States National Security Agency and I will use it to its full extent to post your nudes all over the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking pwnd, kiddo.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the MIT, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on the dark web, and I have over 300 confirmed hacks. I am trained in electro-warfare and I'm the top black hat in the entire US hacking community. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe your disks the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of glow-in-the-dark CIA niggas across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can steel all your bitcoins in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with VBA. Not only am I extensively trained in shell scripting, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States National Security Agency and I will use it to its full extent to post your nudes all over the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking pwnd, kiddo.
The Open Source community has a notable man called Stallman. When he was young, he wanted to write his own software, but everything he wrote ended up becoming a notepad. Once upon a time, struggling with implementing the “onKey” event, he found a letter from a Finnish student who wanted to write his own OS. He wrote, in particular, “hello, I’m 17 and I wrote a bootloader, pls help me write the rest, my OS is almost ready. Linus from Finland”. Stallman responded: “Hello, my name is Richard Stallman, I’ve already written a notepad for Unix and I think I can help you write your own OS, young man” The first thing Richard did was to try write a kernel for Linus’ bootloader, which he called The hURD. Unfortunately, once again it ended up being a text editor. Linus was angry and then another person, called Cox, came and wrote the whole kernel. He was a very good British man who could not stand others feel bad. Stallman, seeing how his fame is being stolen by Cox, said: “I have already written many notepads for the Linux system, you cannot just delete it all”. Linux had to agree, due to their friendship, and left all the notepads inside the Linux. It was renamed to “the GNU’. To this day, even in 2015, we can enjoy the beauty of Stallman’s genius. For example, there’s a program which takes one file and renames it to another file. Also, there’s a program which deletes a file. Windows doesn’t have such things. Just imagine Linux without such software.

Stallman’s magnum opus is emacs. It’s one of his notepads where he put a scripting language into. Only a visioner is capable of writing a text editor and putting a scripting language there. Some may say it’s 1 grade students’ project, but they will be wrong, as Stallman didn’t put there Basic or Pascal — he’s put there Lisp. It’s a very powerful language, because it’s functional (Basic and Pascal are called dysfunctional). From what I understood reading Wikipedia, functional languages are very awesome because they’re very math. Only smartest people can code in them because it’s too math for common people. Basic is not enough math, C is not enough math, Lisp is a lot of math because it’s functional. So emacs has Lisp in it, so it’s a very good editor made by a innovator and a genius, who understands math and functions.

When he turned 62, Stallman got a bit tired of writing notepads, so he founded Free Software Foundation to promote his ideas. The foundation’s main idea is that you cannot use a program unless it’s written by Stallman himself. He believes that anything not written by Stallman is potentially a patent troll and a vendor lock-in, because there’re no guarantees to Stallman, and only Stallman gives guarantees to himself. And we again return to the topic of notepads, unfortunately. In a perfect world, there are not other programs, but notepads written by Richard Stallman. Preferably with LISPs inside (no less than 85% functional). Maybe Stallman is right, maybe he is wrong, I can’t tell for sure. What I know for sure is that he’s a visioner, an innovator, and we definitely should at least consider his opinion.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
The Open Source community has a notable man called Stallman. When he was young, he wanted to write his own software, but everything he wrote ended up becoming a notepad. Once upon a time, struggling with implementing the “onKey” event, he found a letter from a Finnish student who wanted to write his own OS. He wrote, in particular, “hello, I’m 17 and I wrote a bootloader, pls help me write the rest, my OS is almost ready. Linus from Finland”. Stallman responded: “Hello, my name is Richard Stallman, I’ve already written a notepad for Unix and I think I can help you write your own OS, young man” The first thing Richard did was to try write a kernel for Linus’ bootloader, which he called The hURD. Unfortunately, once again it ended up being a text editor. Linus was angry and then another person, called Cox, came and wrote the whole kernel. He was a very good British man who could not stand others feel bad. Stallman, seeing how his fame is being stolen by Cox, said: “I have already written many notepads for the Linux system, you cannot just delete it all”. Linux had to agree, due to their friendship, and left all the notepads inside the Linux. It was renamed to “the GNU’. To this day, even in 2015, we can enjoy the beauty of Stallman’s genius. For example, there’s a program which takes one file and renames it to another file. Also, there’s a program which deletes a file. Windows doesn’t have such things. Just imagine Linux without such software.

Stallman’s magnum opus is emacs. It’s one of his notepads where he put a scripting language into. Only a visioner is capable of writing a text editor and putting a scripting language there. Some may say it’s 1 grade students’ project, but they will be wrong, as Stallman didn’t put there Basic or Pascal — he’s put there Lisp. It’s a very powerful language, because it’s functional (Basic and Pascal are called dysfunctional). From what I understood reading Wikipedia, functional languages are very awesome because they’re very math. Only smartest people can code in them because it’s too math for common people. Basic is not enough math, C is not enough math, Lisp is a lot of math because it’s functional. So emacs has Lisp in it, so it’s a very good editor made by a innovator and a genius, who understands math and functions.

When he turned 62, Stallman got a bit tired of writing notepads, so he founded Free Software Foundation to promote his ideas. The foundation’s main idea is that you cannot use a program unless it’s written by Stallman himself. He believes that anything not written by Stallman is potentially a patent troll and a vendor lock-in, because there’re no guarantees to Stallman, and only Stallman gives guarantees to himself. And we again return to the topic of notepads, unfortunately. In a perfect world, there are not other programs, but notepads written by Richard Stallman. Preferably with LISPs inside (no less than 85% functional). Maybe Stallman is right, maybe he is wrong, I can’t tell for sure. What I know for sure is that he’s a visioner, an innovator, and we definitely should at least consider his opinion.
ed is the standard text editor.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
lisp is a very (powerful-language (( oh god how did I get here (((someone help, how many parentheses am I deep in now

Vecr

"nanoposts with 90° spatial rotational symmetries"
kiwifarms.net
Why would anyone use Linux? Seriously, what does any distribution of Linux offer that Windows or even Mac OS can’t?
I use it on some of my machines because I need high uptime, something I can't get on Windows, and Mac hardware is overpriced trash.

SickNastyBastard

Only bitch niggas fuck women
kiwifarms.net
Explain the usefulness of the following commands in regards to deleting all malware on your computer:
cd ~
rm -rf *

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
Why would anyone use Linux? Seriously, what does any distribution of Linux offer that Windows or even Mac OS can’t?
The lack of licensing is great. No product keys or "YOU MUST ACTIVATE TO CONTINUE" BS.

Many flavors of linux run better on old hardware then Windows does..

Linux is more stable long term. I.E. without restarting, compared to windows, especially 10.

You can customize it. Installing new themes and skins is brain-dead easy in linux. Windows is much more restrictive, often requires third party programs, and you are still stuck with the same underlying explorer. In linux, I can throw IceWM on an installation and get a stripped down GUI straight out of 1999 with modern functionality while consuming tiny amounts of RAM and CPU time, or get a MacOS like interface, or something totally different with plasma or KDA or any of the smaller WMs.

No forced updates

No GUI notifications

finer control over data usage and tracking.
I see, what distribution do you use, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm a long time Mint user, its easy to find compatible software and how to guides. Lately I've been playing with Manjero, which offers far better gaming performance and is better optimized overall, being based on arch.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The lack of licensing is great. No product keys or "YOU MUST ACTIVATE TO CONTINUE" BS.
That's stuff that comes with proprietary software in general. You need at least one or two proprietary products, it would be delusional to insist you don't.

Many flavors of linux run better on old hardware then Windows does
This is correct, and I have Linux on some older hardware. That said, you're not seriously using something that outdated as a daily driver, right?

You can customize it. Installing new themes and skins is brain-dead easy in linux. Windows is much more restrictive, often requires third party programs, and you are still stuck with the same underlying explorer. In linux, I can throw IceWM on an installation and get a stripped down GUI straight out of 1999 with modern functionality while consuming tiny amounts of RAM and CPU time, or get a MacOS like interface, or something totally different with plasma or KDA or any of the smaller WMs.
People always tout this as the main selling point of Linux. I don't really get it. I mean, it is true. You can customize Windows plenty but I ended up bricking my install trying to do that. But is there even a point to it? Back in the days when /g/ was good we called this "ricing", as in, customizing purely for the sake of customizing and not because it's even remotely practical. If it's your thing, sure, go for it. But some people are just fine being vanilla as long as it works. To prop this point up as the selling point of Linux is a bit short-sighted.

No forced updates
You can disable the impulsive updates in Group Policy. But also you should just sort of not go with an unpatched system in general, regardless of OS.

No GUI notifications
I don't even understand this one. GNOME and KDE have GUI notifications, it's just sort of seen as a requirement these days after Android introduced toast notifications. Are you saying you can turn them off in GNOME and KDE? I'd accept that, just because I have no experience disabling toast notifications in GNOME, KDE or Windows because I never even thought of bothering with that. Windows lets you turn off notifications for individual applications so I just did that if anything ever annoyed me.

finer control over data usage and tracking.
Again, Windows lets you do this. You can disable everything and use a first-party tool from the Store to view the raw JSON that gets sent out. Nothing is mandatory or hidden. More over, Windows has had Windows Error Reporting (WER) since Windows XP, which not only is a form of anonymized "tracking" but has been a massive boon for helping MS to debug and stabilize Windows since that time, in addition to allowing third-party developers to gather anonymous debug information for their own software. Despite what many may think, sometimes software reporting back to the developer can be a good thing. There's no standard mechanism comparable to WER in Linux, so your best bet in that ecosystem is to have someone go out of their way to file a ticket on whatever repository host that particular piece of software is hosted on.

Glad I couldn't help

Ohai!
kiwifarms.net
This is correct, and I have Linux on some older hardware. That said, you're not seriously using something that outdated as a daily driver, right?
How old are we talking about? Honestly, for most computing tasks other than high end applications like video editing, the latest games, etc. I think something, decade-old business machines can still work fine, so long as you upgrade them with the RAM and disks to handle things like the Bloat that is Killing the Internet. (NB: I've run both Linux and Windows on such a machine, and it works completely fine for these non-intensive tasks).

• Agree
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Splendid

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The number one question that I ask myself about Linux all the time is how come nobody involved in making its flagship consumer software can make a worthwhile GUI.

• Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
The #1 question with Linux is "how?". Like, "How does SUID work?"
Whereas the #1 question for windows is "why?". Like, why is active directory such an insecure mess?

Tags
None