r/AmITheAsshole / AITA -

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

A Humble Ewok

...and a future for Ewok children.
kiwifarms.net
I used to read AITA to chart things that what really bothers people, and gets under their skin. The problem is it has formed its own culture and bend that I don't think is the norm, that it renders the sub not very useful for research purposes. Also a lot of the post are obvious trolls, though trolling was not a problem for my purposes, since it doesn't matter that the post were fake, but that the reactions to them were genuine.

There's no problem with telling waitstaff they did a great job, or telling their managers that they have a great employee. You should do that. The issue was that this guy didn't actually tell the waitress she wasn't in trouble. There's a big difference between "I want to talk to your manager" and "I want to talk to your manager to tell them what a great job you did." All too often "I want to speak to your manager" means "I want to badmouth and rail on you to your manager."

The waitress even asked OP if anything was wrong, but all he did was cryptically say "I want to talk to your manager" again. He could have easily diffused the situation by saying "Nothing's wrong, I just want to tell them what a great waitress you are." OP is a dick for probably stressing the waitress out.
The problem is there is a difference being an asshole and being socially inept.

I think that is one of the biggest problems with the sub is the whole framing of the sub leads to lot of posters being demonized for what amounts to social faux pas. If the sub was "Was I Autistic?" or "Did I Do Cringe?", posts and reactions would still be negative and judgy, but not "OMG YOU ARE THE WORST PERSON EVER!".

And that's another thing, people who are judgy and natural schoomarms are probably attracted to that sub. Who would have thought a sub dedicated to moralfagging would attract the worst moralfags?

Last edited:

TotallyAChick

I don't lift out of principle.
kiwifarms.net
The biggest reason I stopped reading it were probably redditors who preach about "self-care", but they don't actually know what it means. Because to them, apparently, self-care means being a selfish ass who has zero concern for anyone's well-being. Sure, being a pushover is bad but come on- that dude asking if he's the asshole for making his girlfriend homeless without notice?

Ningen

The new n-word
kiwifarms.net
The biggest reason I stopped reading it were probably redditors who preach about "self-care", but they don't actually know what it means. Because to them, apparently, self-care means being a selfish ass who has zero concern for anyone's well-being. Sure, being a pushover is bad but come on- that dude asking if he's the asshole for making his girlfriend homeless without notice?
Self care is a codeword for being a lazy fuck

Rice Is Ready

Take me to your Feeder.
kiwifarms.net
Isn't most of the stuff written on this sub completely fake and just made for upvotes? Or am I thinking of another similar sub, there are too many honestly. I doubt most things on reddit are actual true stories.

For example, if you assume most people are in a genuine moral conundrum, then why are the vast majority of posts not the asshole? Look at the past week of posts

The absolute best way to use this sub though is to filter by the Asshole tag and look at top rated all time. You can get an excellent laugh at some people that are totally oblivious to how headass they actually are. Or, you can see the classic of reddit being whiteknight faggots.

Not actually sure this subreddit deserves a community watch page, most of it is fake as is most of reddit. There are some better subs to check out for laughs, like The_Donald, TwoXChromosomes, all of the politics subs like Politics or PoliticalHumor, LateStageCapitalism, but AITA? That's a sub that gets mocked even on reddit, could use some originality. I don't really use reddit anymore so I could be entirely wrong but it's not like reddit to change.

Edit: I suppose this thread would more be about the fags in the comments than the posters themselves, since it's funny to see reddit whiteknight for fake stories. My point still stands that this is what every reddit comment section is like though so I doubt AITA is special in that regard.
I think like 99% of stories on plebbit are bullshit.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I realized I forgot to include one of my favorite AITA posts, an increasingly rare occasion where a true asshole shows up.

Tl;dr- Dude spends his infant daughter's 12k college fund/funds that could have been used to help his wife be a stay-at-home mother (which was given to them by his in-laws, btw) and maxes out his credit cards (without consulting his wife) on a shitty 1972 Ford Bronco. But it's totally justified, because it's the shitty 1972 Ford Bronco his dad bought for him when he was a teenager and he eventually sold. And the shitty 1972 Ford Bronco is so beat-up it's going to need thousands of more dollars poured into it to make it acceptable. When his wife and in-laws found out they reamed the shit out of him for being so reckless. But it's okay, because OP's mommy bailed him out by buying the shitty Ford Bronco from him and giving him enough money to refill the college fund and pay off his credit card debt. Oh, except OP didn't actually tell his wife about that, he lied and said he sold it to someone else.

The comments are not kind to OP:

View attachment 1093180View attachment 1093181View attachment 1093183View attachment 1093184View attachment 1093185

This is my favorite line that most of the commentators seemed to overlook:

He fell for the oldest trick in the fucking book, lmao. What a wild coincidence that someone else was on their way to buy that crappy old car for 21k!
I like how this idiot paid 20k for a fucking lemon. He would've been better off buying the individual parts that make up the car and piecing it together himself, it would've been significantly cheaper and more reliable too.

Ningen

The new n-word
kiwifarms.net
This reads like your average SJW comic:
1. Heroic Mary Sue appears.
2. Bigot chimps out.
3. Our heroic Mary Sue BTFOs the bigot with facts and logic.
4. Bigot goes away or shows how pathetic he is.
5. Mary Sue states that it's not her job to educate you, she is so cool.
6. The reason why Bigot is so evil is because his life is pretty pathetic and the reason why his life is so pathetic is because he is evil (karma or some shit IDK)
7. Mary Sue educates the bigot anyway, because she is such a nice person, way morally and intellectually superior to the bigot.
I am pretty sure that you can turn that Reddit post into a pretty succesful Tumblr comic if you draw it in a lazy CalArts fashion.

Papadopoulos

Perc Salesman
kiwifarms.net
I used to read AITA to chart things that what really bothers people, and gets under their skin. The problem is it has formed its own culture and bend that I don't think is the norm, that it renders the sub not very useful for research purposes. Also a lot of the post are obvious trolls, though trolling was not a problem for my purposes, since it doesn't matter that the post were fake, but that the reactions to them were genuine.

The problem is there is a difference being an asshole and being socially inept.

I think that is one of the biggest problems with the sub is the whole framing of the sub leads to lot of posters being demonized for what amounts to social faux pas. If the sub was "Was I Autistic?" or "Did I Do Cringe?", posts and reactions would still be negative and judgy, but not "OMG YOU ARE THE WORST PERSON EVER!".

And that's another thing, people who are judgy and natural schoomarms are probably attracted to that sub. Who would have thought a sub dedicated to moralfagging would attract the worst moralfags?
I realized I forgot to include one of my favorite AITA posts, an increasingly rare occasion where a true asshole shows up.

Tl;dr- Dude spends his infant daughter's 12k college fund/funds that could have been used to help his wife be a stay-at-home mother (which was given to them by his in-laws, btw) and maxes out his credit cards (without consulting his wife) on a shitty 1972 Ford Bronco. But it's totally justified, because it's the shitty 1972 Ford Bronco his dad bought for him when he was a teenager and he eventually sold. And the shitty 1972 Ford Bronco is so beat-up it's going to need thousands of more dollars poured into it to make it acceptable. When his wife and in-laws found out they reamed the shit out of him for being so reckless. But it's okay, because OP's mommy bailed him out by buying the shitty Ford Bronco from him and giving him enough money to refill the college fund and pay off his credit card debt. Oh, except OP didn't actually tell his wife about that, he lied and said he sold it to someone else.

The comments are not kind to OP:

View attachment 1093180View attachment 1093181View attachment 1093183View attachment 1093184View attachment 1093185

This is my favorite line that most of the commentators seemed to overlook:

He fell for the oldest trick in the fucking book, lmao. What a wild coincidence that someone else was on their way to buy that crappy old car for 21k!
He's not an asshole but probably brain damaged in some way, shape or form.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

RA-5C Vigilante

Alone, Unarmed, Unafraid.
kiwifarms.net
It's probably been already said here, but the fact that so much of this subreddits content is so obviously fake makes it almost entirely redundant.

What's the point of even posting real stuff when so much of the other content is shit-posting, completely imaginary, or over-exaggerated to the point it's the former and latter. Maybe there is one true story in a thousand, like that Bronco nightmare, but I would assume on a website where positive karma is like Chinese social credit, people have it more in their interest to make up shit that makes them look good, and why I automatically assume that few, if none, of these stories are actually true.

HeyItsHarveyMacClout

We also got cake
kiwifarms.net
It's probably been already said here, but the fact that so much of this subreddits content is so obviously fake makes it almost entirely redundant.

What's the point of even posting real stuff when so much of the other content is shit-posting, completely imaginary, or over-exaggerated to the point it's the former and latter. Maybe there is one true story in a thousand, like that Bronco nightmare, but I would assume on a website where positive karma is like Chinese social credit, people have it more in their interest to make up shit that makes them look good, and why I automatically assume that few, if none, of these stories are actually true.
Wow. Are you invalidating peoples lived and shared experiences? Yikes. YTA here buddy. Big time

Agarathium1066

My sense of balance is busted.
kiwifarms.net
Virtue signalling sperg wants to give leftover pizza to the needy and "the help". Throws autistic temper tantrum because family says they might want some later.

Shit the top comment was actually sensible even. "If they're hungry pay them a living wage." That would probably do a lot more than sometimes giving them the remnants of your pizza.

That shit is lost on them I'm sure.

PBJ Sucks

I'll take the Triforce of Dinner to protect me
kiwifarms.net
I sometimes feel like I have stepped into an alternate dimension there. There was one where most of the commenters were falling all over themselves to explain why there is nothing weird about a man still regularly cuddling his 15 year old daughter.

Agarathium1066

My sense of balance is busted.
kiwifarms.net
I sometimes feel like I have stepped into an alternate dimension there. There was one where most of the commenters were falling all over themselves to explain why there is nothing weird about a man still regularly cuddling his 15 year old daughter.
Depends on what is being called 'cuddling' I'd think. Some hugs, affectionate gestures, a kiss on the cheek doesn't seem terribly out of line. If by cuddling you mean getting into bed with them to hug that would have some high potential for awkwardness but there's context.

Do you have a link to that for more information? I'm curious.

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you really want to to see r/amitheasshole shine go into any of those "my daughter wants to go out in pasties and a micro skirt with no panties. am I the asshole if I don't let her posts.

There's always so much screeching about misogyny and toxic masculinity you could hear it from the next galaxy over.

I genuinely can't tell if they're serious social justice fanatics or just pedophiles.

Tags
None