Science Radioactive death beam from Milky Way supermassive black hole explosion could be headed for Earth, scientist warns -

Iwasamwillbe

The Black Man, The Crawling Chaos
kiwifarms.net

Earlier this week scientists announced that the nearest supermassive black hole to Earth erupted in an ‘cataclysmic’ explosion so dramatic it sent a huge gust of radiation ‘slicing’ through the Milky Way.

Now an astronomer who led the research has warned that a similar ‘ancient explosion’ may have sent a death beam hurtling towards Earth.

The gigantic monster at the Milky Way’s heart is called Sagittarius A* and is 25,640 light-years away from humanity’s home planet.

It has appeared to be dormant throughout the history of our species but is capable of roaring dramatically to life.

We now know it emitted blasts of radiation so powerful they scorched through the Milky Way and smashed into the Magellanic Cloud – which lies 200,000 light-years away from the monster’s lair in our galaxy’s centre. You can see what this might have looked like in the video below.

Joss Bland-Hawthorn, director of the Sydney Institute for Astronomy, University of Sydney, was part of the team which this week revealed that the ‘supermassive black hole at the heart of our galaxy spat out an enormous flare of radiation 3.5 million years ago that would have been clearly visible from Earth’. ‘The discovery changes our view of our galaxy’s central black hole, which has appeared dormant throughout recorded human history,’ he went on to write in an article for The Conversation.

‘Astronomers are coming to realise that it has been hugely active, even explosive, in the relatively recent past in galactic terms (measured in millions of years). ‘This activity has been flickering on and off for billions of years. We don’t understand why this activity is intermittent, but it has something to do with how material gets dumped onto the black hole. It might be like water droplets on a hot plate that sputter and explode chaotically, depending on their size.

‘Our situation on Earth resembles living near a largely dormant volcano like Mount Vesuvius that is known to have been explosively active in the past, with disastrous consequences for Pompeii.’ This astonishing cosmic fireworks display would have been visible from Earth.

‘Some three million years ago, our direct ancestor Australopithecus afarensis walked the Earth,’ Bland-Hawthorn continued. ‘They may well have looked up towards Sagittarius and seen cones of light shooting sideways from the Milky Way, brighter than any star in the night sky. ‘The lightshow would have appeared as static beams on a human timescale, only flickering on timescales of thousands of years. Today, the only visible remnant of that immensely powerful event is the cooling gas along the distant Magellanic Stream.’

He went on to say that it’s possible a similar spurt of radiation is coming our way. ‘If the beam was pointing at the Solar System, the jet would have to plough through the Milky Way disc, and it would take about ten million years to reach us,’ he added. ‘So it’s possible that a more ancient explosion could have produced a powerful jet that is yet to reach us.’

Black holes are sometimes surrounded by an ‘accretion disc’ made up of superhot gas and other material. It’s this disc which sends ‘jets, winds and radiating beams of light’ through the galaxy as it interacts with the black hole. If a human was hit by a black hole beam, they would almost certainly die. But we’re happy to report that even if Sagittarius A* has sent a dangerous ray towards Earth, humanity would more or less definitely survive the blast. The astronomer wrote: ‘We need not worry – at its peak, the intensity of the jet when it reaches us is unlikely to exceed the most energetic solar flares.

‘These are known to knock out satellites, and pose a threat to space-walking astronauts, but our own atmosphere largely protects us on Earth.’ He added: ‘There’s no need to be alarmed: as far as we can tell, we are safe here in orbit about a cool dwarf star far from the centre of the Milky Way.’

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
‘If the beam was pointing at the Solar System, the jet would have to plough through the Milky Way disc, and it would take about ten million years to reach us,’
Hurry it up, bitch, I don't got a million years to wait for the extinction of mankind! Hurry it the fuck up!

'These are known to knock out satellites, and pose a threat to space-walking astronauts, but our own atmosphere largely protects us on Earth.’
Oh. I'm sad now.

YooA

kiwifarms.net
This is just another lazy pop science clickbait article. Yes there's things in the universe that can kill us instantly, Shit's heading towards earth all the time.

And isn't it contradictory to say that black holes explode? This thing that nothing can escape has a cataclysmic explosion? I'd prefer if they were technically correct and said a black hole flung something with its massive gravity.

That video was lame too.

Fleshy Sanik

sanik is NOT blue
kiwifarms.net
Hurry it up, bitch, I don't got a million years to wait for the extinction of mankind! Hurry it the fuck up!

Oh. I'm sad now.
So it could kill my internet, but not me?
(:_(
Don't worry, there is always the chance of two neutron stars merging a lot closer to earth and death beams us through the earths magnetic field
This is just another lazy pop science clickbait article. Yes there's things in the universe that can kill us instantly, Shit's heading towards earth all the time.

And isn't it contradictory to say that black holes explode? This thing that nothing can escape has a cataclysmic explosion? I'd prefer if they were technically correct and said a black hole flung something with its massive gravity.

That video was lame too.
Don't black holes shit out hawking radiation all the time though?

Reactions: YooA and Archon
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino