Random-ass questions about random shit that confuses you - gettin thunkful in here

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
How does cryptocurrency work?
I think it's basically computers solving really fucking stupid math problems and the answer is basically like a token of currency for some reason.

Why do people spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on college and just decide that showing up to class is optional after day 1, you already spent the money so you might as well experience the class for a little while before just deciding it is a waste of time.
For some classes the lectures are so pointless and insufferably boring that as long as there isn't in-class work and you can get assignments in your student email or via another student it's preferable to skip them and devote the time to ANYTHING ELSE.

• Informative
Reactions: Yolandi

Slappy McGherkin

Let me introduce you to coulrophobia.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Touché the Escalade, why is every fucking Subaru driven by a soyboi or dyke? With the mandatory "Nuke a gay whale for Jesus" bumpersticker on the back?

Exception being WRXs. Then, it's whiteboi AZN wannabes that have to hit it hard so you can hear that pop-off valve 3 times before the next traffic light.

Yeah marketing, I suppose.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
Touché the Escalade, why is every fucking Subaru driven by a soyboi or dyke? With the mandatory "Nuke a gay whale for Jesus" bumpersticker on the back?

Exception being WRXs. Then, it's whiteboi AZN wannabes that have to hit it hard so you can hear that pop-off valve 3 times before the next traffic light.

Yeah marketing, I suppose.
I actually sort of liked Subarus a bit but they became the in thing for the kind of dipshits you mentioned. Don't have much mechanical experience with them, though, or boxer engines in general.

Reactions: Slappy McGherkin

Zeke Von Genbu

BRINGER OF CHAOS (Art by KF user: FroggyMan)
kiwifarms.net
For some classes the lectures are so pointless and insufferably boring that as long as there isn't in-class work and you can get assignments in your student email or via another student it's preferable to skip them and devote the time to ANYTHING ELSE.
Maybe it is just my major, but for me most of my classes the professor at least talks about the material with some context to the real world which helps contextualize things because classroom world is so different from real world. So if all you do is read the textbook you don't really know how to do anything except the super neat and tiddy problems it gives you which doesn't work for basically anything else. Like this isn't just those first couple year courses which are almost always a bore, this is like senior level shit and people just stop showing up after the first day just so they can prove they're alive to the professor.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

too many youtube makeup videos
kiwifarms.net
The bigger question is: are they allowed to swallow?
You should engage vegans in a discussion about abortion and if it is vegan or not. At some point it can't be vegan to have an abortion. I don't know when that is but it has to be somewhere between the time of conception and the time when the baby is crowning. Vegans have "duuh" answers and hard rules about everything so they probably know what is right. They probably don't even have to think about it.

They love philosophical quandaries like that.

Do you mean why does it have value?

Yolandi

Resident Pokemon Go expert
kiwifarms.net
You should engage vegans in a discussion about abortion and if it is vegan or not. At some point it can't be vegan to have an abortion. I don't know when that is but it has to be somewhere between the time of conception and the time when the baby is crowning. Vegans have "duuh" answers and hard rules about everything so they probably know what is right. They probably don't even have to think about it.

They love philosophical quandaries like that.

Do you mean why does it have value?
Yes. @Piss explained it to me recently but it's a tough concept to grasp

Piss

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The bigger question is: are they allowed to swallow?
I would think that would fall under the same category of whether or not eggs are okay to eat, since they're both animal products that are naturally extracted from the animal that happen to be safe to consume.

Yes. @Piss explained it to me recently but it's a tough concept to grasp
Yeah there's no real way to sum it up quickly. Encryption algorithms plus a gigantic worldwide-synchronized list of transactions between wallets is the very basics of it but it becomes a super deep rabbit hole and there's a lot of stuff I'm still not 100% sure about.

Reactions: Unog

MAPK phosphatase

Cell Death Regulator
kiwifarms.net
Here's my question. Why do so many people think that being deliberately obtuse is a valid strategy in an argument? I had a guy last night challenge me to 'prove gravity' as if that was a real stumper rather than a damning admission that his brain is faulty.
Anyone who becomes obsessed with never being wrong will mount a jet engine to their goal posts before admitting defeat.
Also to "prove gravity", utilizing Karl Popper's philosophy of science it's impossible to scientifically prove anything 100%. That's because the process of science in relation to models is destructive. It seeks to disprove falsifiable models first and foremost, since if you seek to prove a model you can simply ignore the stuff that disproves it, and it's impossible to design an experiment for an un-falsifiable theory.
The metric by which science works is whether a model has withstood experimentation. Gravity has withstood experimentation on many fronts, from dropping things to the Cavendish experiment.

How do mirrors work? Like, how does your right hand become your left one.
Time to break out the Nobel Laureates to answer this question.

Bare with me.
A Hash is a one way algorithm. This is often used to store passwords in a database. If someone has the hash they can't use it to get the password, but it's easy for a computer to turn your password into a hash and compare that to the hashed password in the database. Hashes look like a random string of letters and numbers, and changing even one little thing in the input changes the entire hash. There are multiple hashing algorithms.
You have a public key and a private key. Only you have access to the private key, but everyone else in the world has access to the public key. You can use the private key to sign some information in a way that the public key can be used to verify it, but nobody else has enough information to reverse engineer a way to sign stuff you didn't sign. I won't get into how this works, or how we know this works but basically it's a lot of math. Like, a whole lot of math.
There also exists a ledger of financial transactions on a computers all over the world. When you make a transaction you send out a message to everyone holding onto the ledger with the transaction signed with your private key. The guys with the ledger verifies that you signed it, and adds it to the ledger, subtracting money from you, and giving it to the person you said you want to have it.
After a while there are enough transactions to form a "block" of transactions that aren't added to any more. At this point the ledger guys begin hashing that block of transactions with all the blocks that came before, adding some characters to the end of the current block. This chain of blocks is the block-chain. The goal is to get a hash with a bunch of zeroes at the front. Because hashes are one way, and adding/changing one character changes the entire hash, this is a trial and error procedure and takes a lot of computing power and time. This is mining. If you successfully mine a hash with those zeroes at the front, you get to add an entry to the ledger that lets you create some amount of the cryptocurrency out of thin air and give it to yourself. Everyone else with the block-chain then downloads that block with the random characters, verifies it works, and it's deemed official.
I know bitcoin at-least trusts the block-chain with the greatest amount of work, that means the greatest amount of properly formed hashes. Other criptos may do it differently.

The reason it's worth money is because people are willing to pay to have you sign a transaction that decreases the number in your wallet and increases the number in theirs. That's literally it. It's worth money because people are willing to pay for it.

What's the deal with airplane peanuts?
The pressurized and dry cabin dulls taste buds and changes the flavor of the food.

Otterly

Primark Primarch
kiwifarms.net
Why does no one on game of thrones wear a hat when it’s cold? Fifty layers of fur and sheepskin so you look spherical, and no hat.

Reactions: Unog

Mangy Mutt

spreading disease
kiwifarms.net
has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

It's just common sense.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino