Random-ass questions about random shit that confuses you - gettin thunkful in here

MAPK phosphatase

Cell Death Regulator
kiwifarms.net
Magnets. How the fuck do they work?
Every atom has an angular momentum and a charge. This momentum is called spin. This spin along with the charge generates a magnetic dipole moment. Dipole meaning two poles, North and South. "Moment" is a physics word that refers to an expression that combines the distance with something else, like a force. The word "moment" is used here because the strength of a magnetic field depends on distance.
It's well known that moving a charge generates a magnetic field, though the nitty gritty is caught up in special relativity and electrostatics. Moving a charge is how electromagnets work and it's why you don't put audio and power cables near each-other.
What this all means is that every atom is a little magnet. When you arrange a bunch of atoms such that they're all "spinning" in the same direction, more exactly their angular momentums line up, the magnetic moments amplify eachother and you get a larger magnetic field that is stronger over a longer distance. When the atoms don't line up the magnetic fields cancel each other out and you get something like wood or frogs that aren't noticeably magnetic in day to day life.
In the same vein, over a very short distance the electrical force of atoms will still repel other atoms. This is why you can't walk through a wall even though atoms are mostly space. This is different from, though closely tied to, magnetism, as explained above. This repelling force of charges is defined in Coulomb's law, which defines the force between two stationary charged particles. You can see this in action when someone with long hair holds a van de graaff generator. The charge gathers on his or her hair, and because the charges repel each other, each strand of hair repels each other strand of hair, and the hair stands on end. This is also why you can gather charge from holding the outside of a van de graaff generator. The electrons repel each-other, so to maximize space between each-other they gather on the outside of the metal sphere.

Guts Gets Some

"Sword=cock" -Susumu Hirasawa
kiwifarms.net
How come CG animation on the Nintendo 3DS from 10 years ago (See: Fire Emblem) looks a million times better than CG anime (see: Berserk) from 2016-2017?

• Feels
Reactions: Unog

Recon

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Self-explanatory

Why the hell are Cadillac Escalades so insanely popular with black people? For a while I kind of tried to tell myself I was just noticing cases where this was true as confirmation bias but I've seriously been keeping track and EVERY. SINGLE. ESCALADE. is driven by a black person here. Is it marketing? What the fuck is going on? Why the Escalade and not any other GM SUV using that frame?
the Suburban, the Denali and the Escalade are the vehicular equivalents of Old Navy, the Gap and Banana Republic.
In that order.
Why the fuck do we even exist? You ever look in the mirror and see yourself and think "Damn, I'm really in this faggot?" Shit keeps me up at night.
The best way I can answer this question is:

Q: Why do we exist?
A: Yes.

Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

don't step on me
kiwifarms.net
Yes. @Piss explained it to me recently but it's a tough concept to grasp
It's all about a de-centralized payment processing network/money storage. That's the foundation of the idea, now season heavily with cooky libertarians and things get spicy.

What's the point?
A bank processes and stores money but a bank, as well as VISA and Patreon also have rules on what they allow. But what if they turn evil, woke or in the case of banks just go broke(because they thought Iceland had money)?
Crypto-currency gets rid of THE bank and makes everything a bank that no one controls, that way it can't fail or go away. It does this by having people run computers/servers all over the world that processes transactions, people don't do this out of the goodness of their hearts it's a required step for "mining" crypto-currency. When a bitcoin is "mined" that puts the bow on a transaction block. A transaction block is a record of changes, like wallet A transferred 0.392 to wallet Y, the balance of wallet A is no 1.2938 and the balanced of wallet Y is 45.398, stuff like that. A transaction block is part of the block chain, they are sequential and additive, the block chain itself is public and shared by all miners, this is what is called the public ledger. It works like a ledger I guess.
So there's a monetary incentive for individual actors to keep the network up and running.

That is step one, the idea, let's look at how it is put into practice.

What is mining?
Mining in itself is a carefully balanced game of "guess what number I am thinking of? The first one to guess the right number gets a bitcoin!". It actually is exactly that, there's no useful work done(with bitcoin). The number, like Piss mentioned, is a hash. A hash is by design irreversible but it is also deterministic, inputting the same thing will always yield the same output. So everyone gets the same hash and is tasked with figuring out what it is a hash of, this is done by brute force, just testing every combination possible within the specified range until the output matches the hash, when that is done it is sent upstream and every other computer can verify that yes, "3ioj)jojahHH29" is indeed the right answer and the winning network gets a cookie. (I really liked the idea that Bitcoin was just an NSA project to train tinfoil hat morons and sovcits to spend all their money on cracking hashes for free)

How is mining kept in check?
It is balanced so that a block/coin will be mined every 10 minutes. This balance is achieved by measuring the time from the start to the finish, if it's too fast the "number" that needs to be guessed gets some "zeroes" added to it so it will take more time, it is to make sure coins are generated at a specific rate. Mining goes too fast when lots of additional computational power is suddenly added. People add computational power not to get coins faster, that's not really possible, but to increase the chances of getting them. If the network sits at a (made up) performance metric of 100 blorks and group A controls 20 blorks, then they have a 1/5 chance of getting each coin. If they spend money and add another 20 blorks worth of computers, upping the network to 120 of which 40 is theirs, they now have a 1/3 chance of getting a coin. They won't be generated faster though and everyone involved knows this, it's just a way to get ahead.
So people spend more and more money on electricity and computers just to try to get a bigger share or not lose their share. If everyone took a step back and collectively decided to junk half of their equipment nothing would actually change and the amount of electricity wasted would be cut in half. Cut it by 75%, same thing, things would still tick along just fine. This is where the libertarians come in.

What determines the value of crypto-currency?
Mostly scams, frauds, massive market manipulation and greedy speculation but at it's core I would say electricity and ROI for the equipment. If the electrical cost exceeds the value then what's the point in running a billion computers in a warehouse? People bought drugs on TOR, that was a big thing, but most of the customers didn't give a shit about bitcoin, they wanted $500 worth of coke and exchanged 500 dollars into bitcoin and gave the bitcoin to a guy to get coke worth $500. If that involved them getting 25,000 coins or or 1/4 of a coin does not matter.

What is the cost of electricity to mine a bitcoin?
Back in early 2018 it was, according to this article I just googled, $4,758 averaged across states in the US. That's a lot of electricity and that's 5 grand every 10 minutes, 24/7, 365 days a year and growing.

With the massive amounts of computers the transaction network has to be top notch, right?
No. There was massive push back to improve the usability because it would hamper some powerful miners.

• Informative

WinterMoonsLight

Tsar of the Internet
kiwifarms.net
Why is it if someone is an alcoholic or heroin addict, people are more likely to be forgiving. It's a disease! They need our support and help recovering! If you're addicted to nicotine...well fuck you! Enjoy your cancer, you white trash asshole! What is with this twisted mentality?

How is it that some vegetarians and vegans can excuse eating fish? It's still meat. You can spin it however you want, it just comes off as being hypocritical to me.

What is with the sudden spike of SJWs getting into tabletop role playing games? Why couldn't they just let the Mountain Dew drinking nerds have their thing?

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
Why is it if someone is an alcoholic or heroin addict, people are more likely to be forgiving. It's a disease! They need our support and help recovering! If you're addicted to nicotine...well fuck you! Enjoy your cancer, you white trash asshole! What is with this twisted mentality?
There are people who don't understand how powerful an addiction to nicotine can be. That being said, recovering from addiction is ENTIRELY within the hands of the addict - they have to really and truly want to kick their habit. Mollycoddling any addict on the grounds that they can't help it, the poor dears, is simply enabling them and enforcing the mentality many have that they are slaves to their substances.

How is it that some vegetarians and vegans can excuse eating fish? It's still meat. You can spin it however you want, it just comes off as being hypocritical to me.
Don't expect a vegan to be consistent. On ANYTHING.

What is with the sudden spike of SJWs getting into tabletop role playing games? Why couldn't they just let the Mountain Dew drinking nerds have their thing?
Some of them found the hobby attractive, others see an opportunity for a power play. The tabletop community has never been solidly any one political stripe but there have been very notable leftist undercurrents for a long time (see: White Wolf). In any event, D&D nerds are thirsty little fuckers a fair amount of the time and sometimes that is ALL the leverage an interloper needs to start controlling tables.

Spunt

bwup
kiwifarms.net
Why does the most batshit bizarre shit always happen in Florida? What's up with that place?
From what I understand, Florida's arrest records are much easier to access than those of any other state, so it's easy for journalists to scour them for crazy shit. So it's not that those things aren't happening elsewhere, it's that it's harder to find out about them.

But of course Florida's massive meth problem is also probably something to do with it.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino