Disaster Rashida Tlaib slammed by House GOP over statement that Holocaust gives her 'kind of a calming feeling' - Diversity hire puts foot in mouth once again

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
Closest/best in terms of geopolitical importance? Probably the UK. Closest/best in terms of good relations/how much power the US has over it? Either Kosovo, Japan, or South Korea.
But who gives a fuck about Kosovo anyway?
Outrage mobbing and the seeming general decline of reading/writing/critical thinking abilities are my personal triggers. So this isn't aimed at you personally, but I'm using your quote as a jumping off point.

I see this kind of argument a lot. I get it, it's pretty satisfying to use your enemies tactics against them. And yeah, tit-for-tat has been empirically proven to be an extremely effective strategy force cooperation and curb behavior that harms you. At least in fair environments. But I don't know that we live in a fair environment. The media would appear, at least to me but I'm sure many here feel the same way, aligned with the left's outrage brigades and not the right's. So if you want to go on the attack, your plan of attack should probably stand up to quite a lot of fact checking. This bullshit twisting of words, or use of out of context quotes, discredits any sort of pushback you try.

Personally, I think if you want to end the culture of outrage mobbing, you should hit them hard legally where feasible. I believe cases such as Covington Catholic kid's or Vic Mignogna's defamation suits will do a lot more damage to these bullshit witch hunts than a bunch of feigned pearl clutching ever could, by establishing precedents of financial harm for those constantly trying to get Wrong Thinkers fired and ostracized. If you have to light up the torches and bring out the pitchforks though, at least make sure the facts are on your side.
You're absolutely right but this hinges on people deciding to stop being absolute opportunistic exceptional individuals who live in the now and solely for the EPIC PWN. I wouldn't go so far as to call your approach pie-in-the-sky but I'm not optimistic.

vanilla_pepsi_head

Heavens to Spergatroyd!
kiwifarms.net
To be fair she phrased this in just about the dumbest way possible even in context. I had to read it like three times before I had any clue what she was trying to say there. But really, if she'd instead said "some good came out of the holocaust" or something like that, the full quote would be easy to understand, but with that soundbite she'd be crucified even worse.

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
I see this kind of argument a lot. I get it, it's pretty satisfying to use your enemies tactics against them. And yeah, tit-for-tat has been empirically proven to be an extremely effective strategy force cooperation and curb behavior that harms you. At least in fair environments. But I don't know that we live in a fair environment. The media would appear, at least to me but I'm sure many here feel the same way, aligned with the left's outrage brigades and not the right's. So if you want to go on the attack, your plan of attack should probably stand up to quite a lot of fact checking. This bullshit twisting of words, or use of out of context quotes, discredits any sort of pushback you try.
You're talking about the kind of person who explicitly doesn't have a problem with their own tactics until they're used against themselves.

Personally, I think if you want to end the culture of outrage mobbing, you should hit them hard legally where feasible. I believe cases such as Covington Catholic kid's or Vic Mignogna's defamation suits will do a lot more damage to these bullshit witch hunts than a bunch of feigned pearl clutching ever could, by establishing precedents of financial harm for those constantly trying to get Wrong Thinkers fired and ostracized. If you have to light up the torches and bring out the pitchforks though, at least make sure the facts are on your side.
Both are extraordinary events, and it's not exactly feasible to expect every Tom, Dick, and Harry who has that shit happen to them to be able to finance a legal battle even if they were to have what happened to Vic or the CC kids happen to them.

Lou Wrong

Butthurt about Buddyloids
kiwifarms.net
Israel isn't anywhere as close of a US ally as people make them out to be. They leased a port to China, we were opposed to their invasion of the Sinai, and they haven't given us any support with the War in Afghanistan or Iraq (even fucking Albania has sent thousands of troops to Afghanistan and Tonga of all countries sent to some troops to help with the Iraq war). Being rude to them shouldn't be some egregious offense.
Wait, I thought you were a troll, all of this post makes sense. (except the Afghanistan part where they offered assistance but got turned down because more important countries in that war hated Israel and wanted nothing to do with them.)

Bush did USS Maine

Coal fires don't sink steel hulls
kiwifarms.net
But who gives a fuck about Kosovo anyway?

You're absolutely right but this hinges on people deciding to stop being absolute opportunistic exceptional individuals who live in the now and solely for the EPIC PWN. I wouldn't go so far as to call your approach pie-in-the-sky but I'm not optimistic.
Well, I'm glad we agree. I can't say I'm optimistic either.

You're talking about the kind of person who explicitly doesn't have a problem with their own tactics until they're used against themselves.

Both are extraordinary events, and it's not exactly feasible to expect every Tom, Dick, and Harry who has that shit happen to them to be able to finance a legal battle even if they were to have what happened to Vic or the CC kids happen to them.
I agree with your point regarding lawsuits. These kind of legal actions are definitely difficult to finance, and it takes the right conditions for them to even be workable in the first place. Honestly, I kind of feel they're the hail mary from your one yard line at the end of the game. I mean, maybe it's just the effect of social media amplifying the voices of the loudest, but it seems to me that there are quite a few people willing to ruin the lives of people they've never even met, for political or even nonpolitical reasons. I first really noticed it with the attack on Brendan Eich for funding an anti-gay marriage thing, but I've seen it repeated over and over with others. Everything from some random woman at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider to the guy who taught his girlfriend's pug to do a Nazi salute to Justice Kavanaugh. And a lawsuit certainly can't hit all these people involved, absolute best case scenario you can only hit some of the organizers. Most people can fire off their Twitter post, fuck someone over, and continue their life completely without consequence - just waiting for the next time some outrage brigade needs their hot take. I doubt most people who "cared" about any of those incidents even remember them today. They almost certainly would never even hear the results of some lawsuit months later.

And you're certainly right that these people don't have a problem with these tactics until the tactics that are used against them. As I said earlier, I definitely get the "use their tactics against them" mentality, and I don't even necessarily dispute the effectiveness of that strategy in theory. I just think that if that's what you want to do, it's not effective for those with more conservative or libertarian views if you use out of context or intentionally twisted statements as a line of attack. The game is rigged against us. Even the best lines of attack will be downplayed or ignored. The worst ones just damage your credibility while legitimizing misleading attacks against you.

I mean, ultimately my main objection with the GOP's statement here is that there is a clear context to this statement, and I'm irritated when people ignore context - deliberately or not. It's either ignorance or feigned outrage. I've seen enough people lacking in any sort of ability to discern contextual clues and enough people acting in bad faith to virtue signal that either is possible. I'm just a guy on the internet venting about it, knowing I can't really affect anything.

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
And you're certainly right that these people don't have a problem with these tactics until the tactics that are used against them. As I said earlier, I definitely get the "use their tactics against them" mentality, and I don't even necessarily dispute the effectiveness of that strategy in theory. I just think that if that's what you want to do, it's not effective for those with more conservative or libertarian views if you use out of context or intentionally twisted statements as a line of attack. The game is rigged against us. Even the best lines of attack will be downplayed or ignored. The worst ones just damage your credibility while legitimizing misleading attacks against you.
You'll find that as this goes on, an increasing amount of people on the right are throwing their hands up in the air and going "fuck it, it works for them, it can work for us". When it comes to the idea that it's legitimizing misleading attacks against you, I think it's a complete non-starter. It's like saying hitting the guy who's beating you over the head with a baseball bat is legitimizing his continued usage of said bat against your noggin - it just doesn't even matter if they're "legitimized" in doing it or not, they're going to do it anyway, and didn't give a shit when they started to boot.

I mean, ultimately my main objection with the GOP's statement here is that there is a clear context to this statement, and I'm irritated when people ignore context - deliberately or not. It's either ignorance or feigned outrage. I've seen enough people lacking in any sort of ability to discern contextual clues and enough people acting in bad faith to virtue signal that either is possible.
I can tell you first-hand that I used to feel the same way. I don't anymore. Take that however you will.

SilkGnut

Gnuts of the Finest Silk
kiwifarms.net
Israel is kind of a shitty ally and keeps trying to get us to start their wars for them, it's just unfortunate that pretty much every other country in the region are even worse prospective allies.
They are a wonderful ally. America continues to assist them and nothing particularly unfortunate happens to the leaders of the country.

Win win I would say.

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net
You'll find that as this goes on, an increasing amount of people on the right are throwing their hands up in the air and going "fuck it, it works for them, it can work for us". When it comes to the idea that it's legitimizing misleading attacks against you, I think it's a complete non-starter. It's like saying hitting the guy who's beating you over the head with a baseball bat is legitimizing his continued usage of said bat against your noggin - it just doesn't even matter if they're "legitimized" in doing it or not, they're going to do it anyway, and didn't give a shit when they started to boot.

I can tell you first-hand that I used to feel the same way. I don't anymore. Take that however you will.
I suppose it just all comes down to a matter of perspective. I'd never say that somebody doesn't have the right to feel frustrated, and ultimately their actions are their own responsibility, but I personally don't want to just sling dirty tricks back at people. There has to be something to differentiate their perspective from ours (or mine, if ascribing my views to a larger swath of the population is unbecoming) beyond just the name of the political ideology we purportedly ascribe to. How can a better society come if all of us act only as people whacking each other with baseball bats? I think you have to take a stand somewhere. Rashida Tlaib's wording was exceptionally awkward and frankly weird, but I can't justify ascribing fake malice to her words.

Tryphaena

Don't fall asleep or we'll mutilate your genitals
kiwifarms.net
A Palestinian who hates Jews. Shocking. I'm enjoying this part of the cultural enrichment. Just because it's great watching all of this blow up in people's faces. In many other places, hating the neighboring countries and the filth that resides in them is practically a national pastime. The U.S. was better when we were allowed (and often encouraged) to hate other countries. ):

AnonAutismo

Ambassador of Autismo
kiwifarms.net
Israel is kind of a shitty ally and keeps trying to get us to start their wars for them, it's just unfortunate that pretty much every other country in the region are even worse prospective allies.
Sometimes the only winning move is not to play.

thismanlies

The Funnest Part of Gaming is Looting Corpses.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rashida Talib said:
There’s always kind of a calming feeling, I tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust, and the tragedy of the Holocaust, and the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways, have been wiped out, and some people's passports, And, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time. And, I love the fact that it was my ancestors that provided that, right, in many ways, but they did it in a way that took their human dignity away and it was forced on them.
Let's take the politics out of this. I'm going to assume that she meant to compare the Palestinians losing their property to the Israelis to the Jews losing their property to WW2 era Europe. She would have been better off saying that "it was wrong when the Jews lost their shit back then just like it's wrong that the Palestinians are losing their shit today."

What Talib did was stick her foot in her mouth in a way that would make Dan Schneider's penis shoot off of his body at ballistic speeds.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
What Talib did was stick her foot in her mouth in a way that would make Dan Schneider's penis shoot off of his body at ballistic speeds.
In U.S. politics, particularly in Congress, if you have to think even 10 seconds to figure out what the fuck someone just said about Jews, that someone is getting raped.

cuddle striker

please wait what is your genotype
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
she made perfect sense though? her ancestors gave up shit so Israel could even be there.

the world is gone to shit, anyway.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino