Disaster Rashida Tlaib slammed by House GOP over statement that Holocaust gives her 'kind of a calming feeling' - Diversity hire puts foot in mouth once again

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
I personally think it's fantastic that everything we say these days has to be run past at least 2 different people sufficiently versed in what is likely to cause a PR firestorm if we are in any sort of public-facing job. Think of the careers we're creating here for degree paths that might otherwise go un-utilized. Think of the healthy climate of discussion that will almost certainly result, where every syllable we utter is designed first and foremost to ensure that no one has their feelings hurt. Think of how this will shape us as a society into a nice, quiet, polite bunch of people who will eventually be completely incapable of even articulating ideas that will cause someone, somewhere real pain.

Yes, it's fucking sarcasm. Someone please check on Orwell's grave, tell me how loud that whirring sound is getting.

Ineedahero

kiwifarms.net
Can we stop with the spoilered sarcasm tags? I don't know why everyone started thinking sarcasm needs to be pointed out preemptively, but it doesn't. If you are getting negs for a post it's because some people think you wrote a shitty post, not because they thought you were being serious. A better solution is to not give a shit about neg ratings, it's certainly a better option than shitting up your bit of bite with joke explanations.

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
Can we stop with the spoilered sarcasm tags? I don't know why everyone started thinking sarcasm needs to be pointed out preemptively, but it doesn't. If you are getting negs for a post it's because some people think you wrote a shitty post, not because they thought you were being serious. A better solution is to not give a shit about neg ratings, it's certainly a better option than shitting up your bit of bite with joke explanations.
Consider it a sign of the times.

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
I consider it a sign of insecurity, because that's what it is.
I am absolutely insecure about people misinterpreting my words, willfully or otherwise. The acceptability of this as a weapon has been established. We're in a situation where certain people just keep finding more metaphorical guns to pick up and point at people and even asking them to put them down is considered grounds to pull the trigger.

Ineedahero

kiwifarms.net
I am absolutely insecure about people misinterpreting my words, willfully or otherwise. The acceptability of this as a weapon has been established. We're in a situation where certain people just keep finding more metaphorical guns to pick up and point at people and even asking them to put them down is considered grounds to pull the trigger.
Maybe outside the farms. But around here that kind of thing is entirely unnecessary. And what are sarcasm tags if not pc? They strip a sarcastic comment of its bite, their use makes the comment more palatable, more user-friendly and more safe. If you are opposed to the concept of corporatization, and the neutering of language to prop up failed ideologies, you should avoid sarcasm tags,

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
Maybe outside the farms. But around here that kind of thing is entirely unnecessary. And what are sarcasm tags if not pc? They strip a sarcastic comment of its bite, their use makes the comment more palatable, more user-friendly and more safe. If you are opposed to the concept of corporatization, and the neutering of language to prop up failed ideologies, you should avoid sarcasm tags,
It's mostly to make a point in the context of the thread, though otherwise I agree.

Cheetahman

When you kill your enemies but they don't win
kiwifarms.net
I personally think it's fantastic that everything we say these days has to be run past at least 2 different people sufficiently versed in what is likely to cause a PR firestorm if we are in any sort of public-facing job. Think of the careers we're creating here for degree paths that might otherwise go un-utilized. Think of the healthy climate of discussion that will almost certainly result, where every syllable we utter is designed first and foremost to ensure that no one has their feelings hurt. Think of how this will shape us as a society into a nice, quiet, polite bunch of people who will eventually be completely incapable of even articulating ideas that will cause someone, somewhere real pain.

Yes, it's fucking sarcasm. Someone please check on Orwell's grave, tell me how loud that whirring sound is getting.
If you don't already have your state-mandated sensitivity troon, you can't ever be a politician. Just think about the number of jobs this will create!

I agree in general terms, but it's not actually that hard not to say "Extremely bad thing makes me feel great" as a normal person, nevermind a politician.

Nobody is taking government action to silence her, we are allowed to criticize insane gaffes that continue established patterns of bigotry or any other unpleasantness.

Hell, we ruthlessly roast politicians for much more minor shit than this.

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net
Israel isn't anywhere as close of a US ally as people make them out to be. They leased a port to China, we were opposed to their invasion of the Sinai, and they haven't given us any support with the War in Afghanistan or Iraq (even fucking Albania has sent thousands of troops to Afghanistan and Tonga of all countries sent to some troops to help with the Iraq war). Being rude to them shouldn't be some egregious offense.
You mean Israel only cares about itself like some sort of nationalistic country that was founded based on the principals of their land of origin in the hebrew bible? No. I'm shocked. Next you'll tell me other countries make deals for whatever enrichment of their economy and national security they can.

This seems like a huge overreaction. Tlaib just used some poor words. Seems like she basically meant to say that it's a sobering, sort of thought-provoking event. Saying "calming" implies that you like something. Perhaps a Freudian slip on her part.

For me, the strongest reaction I ever had thinking about the Holocaust was a Euro history class where we were going over Holocaust death tolls. I remembered one of the figures, 90% of them dying in Poland. The actual human stories have never made much of a difference to me, but that did, because imagine it: something like nine-tenths of everybody you know suddenly being dead.

I doubt Tlaib has ever had an experience like that.

CNN is protective of Jews. They fired Marc Lamont-Hill as a commentator for suggesting violence against Israel by Palestine in his “from the river to the sea” speech.
Don't forget Rick Sanchez. All he did was just mention the heavy Jewish ownership of media.

• Disagree
Reactions: Catgirl IRL

Catgirl IRL

kiwifarms.net
Tiabs a public figure dude, she needs to be aware of how her words are going to be seen, and can't be flippant about these issues.

It's why AOC is currently being ripped apart. She's calling everyone else idiots and using Internet memes to deflect from the fact she has little understanding of shit. Can't play dumb on the public stage and not expect backlash.

Jeremy Corbyn was also, rightly, yanked over the coals when he said Bin Ladens death was a tragedy. In context he actually meant it was a shame he was quietly shot in the back of the head rather than spending a lifetime in isolation, but think before you speak for fucks sake.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino