• "Condensating bitches."

Infected RationalWikiWhiny hugbox for spergs and a clusterfuck of neverending drama on a rapidly declining website.

Discussion in 'Community Watch' started by chimpburgers, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Deny everything! Deny everything!

• Agree Agree x 1
    NotAKitty

NotAKitty Damn, Uncouth Trolling Stupid
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
    • Informative Informative x 3
    Hellfire

Hellfire Sugar Cubes
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  2. And of course Gerard is defending it. You don't get to take credit for acting two weeks after someone else discovered a security breach that happened on your watch 4 months ago. That's not how being a responsible server admin works. And since Trent Toulouse hasn't lifted a finger to do anything for the site in years, this is on Gerard. It's nobody's fault but his that he's incompetent and supremely lazy, although I guess they could blame Toulouse for not removing his sudo access a long time ago. He doesn't know Apache/Nginx, he definitely doesn't know php enough to handle RW's custom extensions and perform a simple upgrade, and he most certainly doesn't have good enough judgment to be trusted with even simple tasks like typing "sudo apt-get upgrade". It's no surprise he's surrounded himself with fawning dopes like Fuzzy Cat Potato. It just feels better when people who don't know better or care about anything but puffing themselves up blow smoke up your ass, eh?

And lol Reverend Black Percy and others insisting SSL isn't implicated. Here's the deal guys: your server was compromised; you can hand wave away the risk, but t's just plain silly to ask people to change their passwords using an insecure connection when they've got no reason to trust you. Why? David Gerard and Trent Toulouse ran the site for years using software with serious vulnerabilities openly identified on the MediaWiki developer site. All they can say for months is SSL is coming soon when it doesn't take a competent admin more than a few minutes to install the certificate.

Even though I quit something like 6 years ago, I have to admit I'm still disappointed to see how far things have slipped. This is sad, but somehow unsurprising.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  3. yyyyyep

hey whoa

for the first time in 4 years (!), everything is updated and legal docs are filed. hooray. the hacking itself was possible since 2007, since it was most likely php exploits in a drunken-college-Trent custom extension

if any of you have accounts on rationalwiki and were dumb enough to use your real email and your usual password, check http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Ration...quantitatively.2C_was_the_password_hashing.3F + https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:User_table#user_password to see how fucked you are

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Horrifying Horrifying x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  4. Nobody who has observed Gerard's bungled, half-assed administration can really be surprised by this incompetence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    AnOminous

AnOminous joy in calamity and delight in disaster
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  5. Welcome back, fuzzycat. How've you been? Still constantly clashing heads with David because you're not down with acting like an unhinged loon?

Dynastia

Dynastia i hope u feel bad
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    AnOminous

AnOminous joy in calamity and delight in disaster
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  6. I wonder how long before they will change their names to Irrational Wiki? I ask simply because of the extremes they are indulging have destroyed any reputation they had. What is it about "skeptic" circles that either turn them into MRA neckbeards or nutszo commies?

• Feels Feels x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  7. Same thing that hit many communities over the last six years: An influx of crazy from mainstream academia and attempts at cronyism. The result from such an invasion is always the same: A community that gets completely co-opted by the cult or one that the cult writes off as too hate-filled and arbitrarily decries everyone who opposed them as a racist/sexist/homophobe/fill-in-the-blank.

These survivors almost invariably become completely intolerant of that shit and can easily become just as destructive in response.

• Feels Feels x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Jaimas

Jaimas Memeing for Freedom
    True & Honest Fan Wiki Sysop

kiwifarms.net
  8. We've been rooting for the name change since the beginning.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Splendid Meat Sticks

Splendid Meat Sticks Sex Robot Friendzoned Me!
    True & Honest Fan Lolcow TV Captain

kiwifarms.net
  9. Well alot of this community smells of "he who fights monsters" as they are basically two sides of the same crazy coin. Our only hope is that they implode themselves with their own sperging.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  10. Less "he who fights monsters," more "oh god these fuckers won't leave us alone; if it means getting rid of them we'll happily wear the labels they slap on us."

The communities in question almost never asked for the infestation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Jaimas

kiwifarms.net
  11. Well the infiltration in some cases can be quite damaging like with Marvel Comics where people can give the bullshit comicbooks are dying defense, but when DC is kicking your ass handedly, then you need to ask yourself what is going on. Does Irrational Wiki have anything on the Tyranid infestation of the comic book industry?

• Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  12. From our initial expeditions, RW's infestation came into being due to the same shit that hit basically every left-leaning community circa 2010 or so. I refer to this as the Cycle of Social Justice, and you can see it on pretty much every left-leaning site that winds up with these clowns:

If you're not familiar: Social Justice Warriors, inoculated into the cult by infinitely crazier people (traditionally in academia) wind up in left-leaning communities, initially due to like-attracts-like. The left as a whole is tolerant, so a lot of them slip through unnoticed; nobody suspects the sheer level of nuttery to come.

Eventually, the community gets a critical mass of these dumbasses, and they start to flex their muscles a bit. They'll push for policy improvements (protection for the marginalized being key), and bring some of their crazy from outlying communities to their new home (you may suddenly see Trigger Warnings in a community that's never had them). Inevitably, an opportunity arises when someone in their squad gets the potential to be into a position of authority: often simply a Moderator, but in practice it can be any position of power (higher the better).

Once this individual is appointed, the very first thing they do is consolidate. They aggressively appoint cronies, because in their worldview someone who is part of their political ideology is inherently more morale than a filthy nonbeliever, other factors be damned. Over time, the combination of a corrupt mod staffer and a contingent of spergs at their beck and call quickly gives them the ability to drive away dissenting voices, who either fuck off for greener pastures or who get banned if they give the mod so much as a hint of an excuse. God help you if some well-meaning but misguided dumbass is willingly carrying the cult's water.

You might think that given their leanings, they'd go after their political opponents (right-wingers for instance) first, but in practice, the reverse is true; there is nothing these bastards hate than those they deem insufficiently hardcore. So anyone who might otherwise be on their side but refuses to step in line will be made an example of. They'll do this mainly with a full-court press both on and off social media, using manufactured outrage. Eventally, their doing this drives away critical voices and inevitably allows them to co-opt the site. Whatever the site's original purpose, it now serves no purpose except Social Justice.

It's a pattern that happened over and over.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Jaimas

kiwifarms.net
  13. [​IMG]

The only rational thing to do when too many Social Justice folks overtake something.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  14. And the chief ideologue who made this crap possible on RW is David Gerard. Trent might be the owner on paper, but make no mistake, it's now Gerard's personal soapbox to white knight for a remorseless pedophile and rant about Cheeto Hitler.

Whatever niche of good or at least decent platform RW served (like calling out medical scams and debunking genuine bullshit) is gone forever thanks to him cracking open the gates for these ideological parasites.

• Agree Agree x 5
    GethN7

Verified True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  15. I'm actually amazed he was allowed to hold the reins after the fucking apocalypse we unleashed on them in the form of Dynastia and company.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Jaimas

kiwifarms.net
  16. Well it is stuff like this is why I call these social justice folks Tyranids as I cannot compare them to the Mongol horde because at least they wanted to build something

• Autistic Autistic x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  17. i keep a quote for situations like this. i reveal to thee the mythical 2007-2008 sjw infestation of rationalwiki:

tldr if ratwiki was ruined by sjw hordes, it's literally always been ruined by sjw hordes

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Autistic Autistic x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  18. Call me nitpicking but I feel like there's a lot of wriggle room between "mocking Conservapedia" and "Nyberg isn't a pedophile"

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Dynastia

Dynastia i hope u feel bad
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

Founded as the CWCki Forums, and originally dedicated to Christian Weston Chandler, the Kiwi Farms is about eccentrics on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are fascinating for reasons distinct to each spectator. We document the phenomenon, with every member bringing different perspectives and opinions to discussion. It is this diversity which has caused our peculiar community to thrive.

• I am Andrew Ryan and I am here to ask you a question:
    Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

No, says the man in Washington; it belongs to the poor.
    No, says the man in the Vatican; it belongs to God.
    No, says the man in Moscow; it belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...

Kiwi Farms.

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.