Reading in foreign languages -

• The site was compromised. (Initial announcement) (What to do)
    Okay, now attachments should be working and the site should be very fast. If not, report it.

Koresh

Vernon Wayne Howell
kiwifarms.net
Inb4 all the weebs show up and ask if their imported doujinshis count.

German and Russian movies are fucking whack though, and Russian streamers are batshit insane. Even if you don't understand commie, it's worth seeing the highlight reels of them being psychotic dumbasses.

• Feels
Reactions: Chichan

NOT Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reading a National Geographic article out loud may as well be in another language with all those goofy foreign names.

wylfım

To live a lie, or die in a dream?
kiwifarms.net
Struggling through kids books in Chinese is a lot of fun. Technically can also read Romanian but I don't find much gypsy stuff to read in so I'm pretty awful at it. But yeah knowing more languages is a lot of fun.

• Agree
Reactions: JosephStalin

Crichax

The Chippo Man
kiwifarms.net
I play games in Korean on occasion. I've picked up a few words from the Korean version of Zelda: BOTW.

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
parallel texts is the easiest way to learn a foreign language, at least one with some similarity to one's own.

i am basically trying to exclusively read in my weak languages so I can say I'm doing something with my free time other than just whiling away time with sci fi or whatever.

i can give a brief description of the method to anyone interested but it's pretty simple; unfortunately I have no speaking ability in languages learned this way.

• Agree
Reactions: Safir and Azafran90

Hatoful Dandy

Minstrel of Sorrow
kiwifarms.net
Whenever I'm on a flight, I tend to watch movies dubbed into German, and can read in the language too.

Fagatron

ArchFedora
kiwifarms.net
I prefer to read in my native language if I have a choice; my English is very good (I think) and I've picked up and regularly use a local dialect and code of speech when I speak and write to the point I'm rarely identified as a cultural enricher but it requires too much thought when trying to zone out a little bit such as when reading for pleasure. There is a French-language forum I visit regularly for news but again, it's not something I would choose to read an extended text in if there were other options but I like to keep up with affairs there too.

I've never been able to do things like mental maths in English for much the same reason. I end up doing it in one and then translating it.

Last edited:

Azafran90

*Space Blancmange*
kiwifarms.net
I read in English all the time and my Spanish turns worse by day.
If someone knows about a good book for practicing Japanese I would thank you dearly.

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
As a manga fan of almost 30 years, I used to have to try and read everything in Japanese because none of the good stuff came over here. Or sometimes it DID come out over here and VIZ canceled it prematurely like Fist of the North Star and Guyver. I still import the new Rurouni Kenshin and Kinnikuman books as I doubt they'll ever come over here. There are probably scanlations out there, but I don't know where to get them.

Ambidextype

Rubbing hand intensifies
kiwifarms.net
As a manga fan of almost 30 years, I used to have to try and read everything in Japanese because none of the good stuff came over here. Or sometimes it DID come out over here and VIZ canceled it prematurely like Fist of the North Star and Guyver. I still import the new Rurouni Kenshin and Kinnikuman books as I doubt they'll ever come over here. There are probably scanlations out there, but I don't know where to get them.
Understand that feeling bro. Some of the manga I read are historical Japanese manga not too westerner friendly like Hyouge Mono. Even if there are scanlation, the manga I mentioned is steeped with the usage of classical Japanese language, the translation is understandably slow.

On topic I prefer reading Japanese books than English books. In occasions I read some light novels that are not available in the west yet.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino