Ready Player One -

• ATTENTION: The National Security Administration has made a press release regarding a Windows 10 remote execution exploit that any website can take advantage of. It is one of the worst exploits that has ever been found. Update Windows immediately.

NSA Press Release, "Am I vulnerable?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteus4994

kiwifarms.net
So "I Love The 80s - The Movie" just came out with some new movie posters, where they take existing classic movie posters and redo them with RP1 characters. The Internet is not happy.

However, they really are just looking for any reason to hate RP1 itself, as shown by the wild variety of salt.

The posters:

Poster Salt:

upload_2018-3-6_14-32-8.png

upload_2018-3-6_14-33-56.png

Book salt:
upload_2018-3-6_14-33-15.png

https://theoutline.com/post/2076/ready-player-one-movie-bad?zd=1&zi=t5ujnciv
upload_2018-3-6_14-37-22.png

upload_2018-3-6_14-38-1.png

I'm mad about other movies salt:
upload_2018-3-6_14-31-16.png

upload_2018-3-6_14-36-25.png

Attachments

Desire Lines

so long, and thanks for all the fish
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ready Player One is a pretty shit book to be honest. It's a parade of references to nerdy shit the author likes with a bad self-insert Mary Sue protagonist. That being said, both fans and people who hate the book get really fucking mad about it for no reason. I watch Vinny from Vinesauce, and when he played a game which parodies said book and movie, the chat erupted into a shitstorm over the "true nerds" and "u all haterz". It was pretty bad. I get a feeling both sides are really compensating for something, because they both get offended that their "geek cred" is being challenged :story:

Bob Page

Electronic Old Gendo Ikari
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Are people who constantly complain on Twitter ever happy?
Happiness was never part of their psyche to begin with. These people crave on conflict and will create it when they see none. They try but miserably fail at posturing themselves as intellectuals which puts their true intellectual capacity on display. Besides, why does anyone trust movie critics like them to begin with if all they ever do is use their medium as a way to spew ideological bullshit? Oh yeah, they can't develop their own stance on their own.

Last edited:

linchan

kiwifarms.net
I thought Daito and Shoto dies shortly after their appearance. Why are they on the poster?

Last edited:

TheScooper

I Scoop-A-Da Poop
kiwifarms.net
Ready Player One is a pretty shit book to be honest. It's a parade of references to nerdy shit the author likes with a bad self-insert Mary Sue protagonist. That being said, both fans and people who hate the book get really fucking mad about it for no reason. I watch Vinny from Vinesauce, and when he played a game which parodies said book and movie, the chat erupted into a shitstorm over the "true nerds" and "u all haterz". It was pretty bad. I get a feeling both sides are really compensating for something, because they both get offended that their "geek cred" is being challenged :story:
It is and then theres that mastrubation scene that goes longer then should, yeah hoe did this become a move again?

Senior Lexmechanic

Shitposting displeases the Omnissiah
kiwifarms.net
Maybe I have missed the point of the thing, but the previews make it look like fandom itself is a dystopian hellscape?
The entire point of the book is that the future is a dystopian hellscape because of an out-of-control consumerist culture incapable of dealing with the real world, that prefers meaningless feel-good nostalgiabait over anything intellectually or emotionally challenging. It's what might happen if Wil Wheaton and co. become the dominant cultural trend (in fact, Wil Wheaton is one of the administrators of the VR world, and by extension one of the most powerful men on the planet, because people remembered him from Star Trek, basically.) The fact that so many people can read the book and completely miss that astonishes me.

It is and then theres that mastrubation scene that goes longer then should, yeah hoe did this become a move again?
It had an orgy in the sewers in it. Also please learn how to spell.

Polish Hot Dog (spicie)

jestem najlepsza
kiwifarms.net
I thought Daito and Shoto dies shortly after their appearance. Why are they on the poster?
No they don't. I mean, Daito gets fucking suplexed out of his 50th story window by the Sixers about..... 5? 6? chapters after he's introduced, but Shoto survives all the way through the book.

Ready Player One was okay, maybe even good, but it really is overrated. Parzival being a Gary Stu is.... somewhat debatable, although mostly true. Really, there's thousands of OASIS users just like him - he just had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time for most of his parts in the book.

Last edited:

two bees

kiwifarms.net
The entire point of the book is that the future is a dystopian hellscape because of an out-of-control consumerist culture incapable of dealing with the real world, that prefers meaningless feel-good nostalgiabait over anything intellectually or emotionally challenging. It's what might happen if Wil Wheaton and co. become the dominant cultural trend (in fact, Wil Wheaton is one of the administrators of the VR world, and by extension one of the most powerful men on the planet, because people remembered him from Star Trek, basically.) The fact that so many people can read the book and completely miss that astonishes me.
While I thought the book was fun if you've read the author's other stuff and seen his interviews it's really not this. The dude just loves wallowing in his nostalgia and wants to invite people to wade in the pool.

Absolutego

Burning in the Melting Pot
kiwifarms.net
While I thought the book was fun if you've read the author's other stuff and seen his interviews it's really not this. The dude just loves wallowing in his nostalgia and wants to invite people to wade in the pool.
Yeah, Ernest Cline honestly isn't smart enough of an author to write a dystopian book about consumerist culture gone awry. Ready Player One is glorified fanfiction where the Howard Hughes character is a blatant authorial self-insert (Cline shares a birth year, hometown, and physical description with Halliday) and the main character wins by performing the literary equivalent of smashing his action figures together and quoting movie lines to himself.

The real dystopian narrative about consumerist culture gone awry is the fact that this book was a) marketed as something for adults to read despite being written at a 6th grade level, and b) that it made it on the New York Times bestseller list.

A Random

All aboard the Loco Express!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Come on, it can be both.

Even if the world is just as shitty as it is to enable something like the OASIS to 'replace' the real world, it still manages to BE replacing the real world because that world is shitty and people are diving into it to live something better than reality. Whether Cline wanted that more to justify his nostalgia wallow or truly meant to criticize the real world doesn't change the validity of said criticism by others.

SomethingWittyandBadass

Daddy's too busy fucking a whore to care Timmy.
kiwifarms.net
Jesus christ this salt is so much. While the movie was not gonna work because nerd movies don't work out in the media ever beucase of how diverse and autistic the marketing can be. But the hatred is practically unnerving and reminds me on how a group of spoiled brats are mad because their uncle Mike is at the family reunion and he smells a bunch and talks about Trump shit.

Somsnosa

Look at me! I'm the pope now
kiwifarms.net
I guess this is a good time to let you know the author of this book writes shit poetry like this
You really are giving him more credit than he deserves. Overall RP1 is not something to get mad over but doesn't deserve praise at all. It's just geek garbage like the capeshit movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino