Ready player two -

Furina

Centerfold
kiwifarms.net
I browsed through a couple of pages while killing time in an airport once, and I've read extracts online and my only thought every time I read it is just how bland it is. Like there is nothing interesting going on. The writing style, the characters, the plot, the endless references... I watched some of the movie but switched to something else for the same reason. Boring, dull, bland, bleh. The only good thing that came from the book, as far as I care, is 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back.

Jar-Jar Fanboy

kiwifarms.net
ErnestCline,GoodMaleFeminist.jpg
A truly artistic poem from our renowned author Ernest Cline. He tries so hard to be a good male feminist, he loops back around to being hilariously sexist. He already milked the 80's dry with Ready Player One, so which cow will he milk for the sequel?

Minister Burroughs

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1443155
A truly artistic poem from our renowned author Ernest Cline. He tries so hard to be a good male feminist, he loops back around to being hilariously sexist. He already milked the 80's dry with Ready Player One, so which cow will he milk for the sequel?
I'd think that would be obvious: he'll milk the 90's dry.
Still, I didn't hate Ready Player One. Kind of vapid, but I was interested in how the puzzles would be solved. Now that it's been a minute, I don't remember a word of it. I do remember the first clue was on a school planet, which meant that... only creeps or students stood a chance. Huh.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
I enjoyed the book when I first read it, but it had the advantage of novelty. I think the movie did a better job of integrating the references because it’s better to show something than it is to throw out a paragraph describing it. It feels like the book is trying too hard to appeal to normies, which is understandable, but the vast majority of people who are going to read Ready Player One are going to get most of the references. The book doesn’t go out of its way to cite anything too esoteric. That being said, I think people are way too harsh on it, and using it as a scapegoat for everything toxic about nerd culture in the wake of the boogeyman Gamer Gate. These critics tend to overlook that there is a long stretch in the middle in which Wade recognizes the emptiness of life being nothing but memorizing a bunch of geek trivia. And these same critics are using a lot of bad faith arguments, trying to paint the fan base as misogynistic because they presumably praise Cline’s book while trashing the Twilight series. That’s a very sweeping generalization, particularly since neither of those books could have reached the audiences the size that they have by only appealing to geeks and teenage girls. And it’s further bullshit to tell people that they are liking and not liking things for the wrong reasons.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
2000s nostalgia.

Prepare for a section of OASIS where 2000s memes like Shoop Da Woop and Cockmongler come to life!

Yes, you can haz cheezburger!

Fandom Trash

Cutest Dumpster Cat around
kiwifarms.net
Ready Player One was basically r/IAmVerySmart and r/vlVideogame rolled up into one greasy manlet sporting a power glove (cuz we're 80's kids!!) and dishing out, "How you do fellow kids?" to everyone he sees.

I remember reading people's comments on how disappointing the book actually was, and how the movie sort of tried to prop it up more than it actually deserves with its flashy imagery and all the pop cultures references you have to rewind over and over again and squint your eyes to just even make out in the screen.

You know what movie did pop-culture well as its premise?

Wreck it Ralph.

• Semper Fidelis
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I remember reading people's comments on how disappointing the book actually was, and how the movie sort of tried to prop it up more than it actually deserves with its flashy imagery and all the pop cultures references you have to rewind over and over again and squint your eyes to just even make out in the screen.
What's funny is how little from the book is actually in the movie, save for the finale battle all the big set pieces like the race or the trip into The Shining are not taken from the book.

The dance club sequence is taken from the book and the overall very basic story structure and characters but basically everything else is completely different from the book.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
There's really only a single throwaway line about "all the things happening in the world today" directly referencing it and maybe Haliday's "why can't we go backwards for once? As fast we can" line can be seen as referencing the state of the world if you're generous, but that's about it.

Gone is the scene you mention where Wade travels on an armed bus through abandoned parts of America, which I thought was one of the most interesting details of world building.

The movie just does not make it clear that it's a dystopia at all.

And yeah, the backstory with Wade's parents was sad and made the story more poignant.
Yeah that's the problem with the book it's trying to be critical of the modern world by saying "people would rather enjoy bread and circuses. " rather than actually try and fix their lives and the importance of family and all that. But then it turns right back towards hipocracy because Klein can't help but wax poetic about how great the 80s were before giving us a sparknotes novelization of war games. Pick one side of the argument and stick with it not trusted have it both ways.

To be fair the movie kinda has this problem too but at least it addressed it somewhat by the end.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

jellycar

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Book is retarded. He literally does nothing except reference and name shit from the 80s.

Basically its like
I HOPPED INTO MY KNIGHT RIDER STYLED CAR WITH THE GHOSTBUSTERS LOGO DECAL AND I HIT THE GAS AND SPED OFF LIKE A HUNGRY PACMAN FLEEING THE GHOSTS. WOW, THIS IS JUST LIKE SANIC

gangweedfan

kiwifarms.net
This is amazing, holy fucking shit.
Does he have more poetry like this?
Yes I posted some more on page 2. but thats not all of the poetry he has written. the problem is the poetry section of the site 404s these days and no one has archived it AFAIK. however someone did do a reading of some of the missing poems in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXGK64DxCzs it just isnt as well done as the other guy IMO

Tags
None