Reaffiliating -

Vlinny Chan

Vlinny is your friend! ~💖
kiwifarms.net
I got PIA and I have no complaints so far. I'll consider switching over to something else but only if it's cheap enough.

Reactions: Draza

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Proton is fine for regular VPN uses to stop the MPAA coming down on your ass.
And for shit like accessing the Farms, where if someone hacks the sessions and logs, they could otherwise get your IP address and a good lock on your geographic location, or your ISP to send a subpoena to, or whatever. And if you connected via a VPN, any of that information that gets leaked is worthless to whoever stole it.

Ad Lib Moaning

kiwifarms.net
I just use the Tor Browser after dropping a lot of tools that turns out to be selling out information, Duck Duck Go included. How fucked am I?

Product Intervention

kiwifarms.net
Fair. At this point, anything but PiA is a good idea.
Would you please elaborate on this? I'm interested in hearing more and, well...

I ask because, frankly, I've only ever seen you post contrarian things and I am not sure if you're being serious or if you're simply stating the opposite of what the nearest KF user said.

• Dumb
Reactions: Arm Pit Cream

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Would you please elaborate on this? I'm interested in hearing more and, well...

I ask because, frankly, I've only ever seen you post contrarian things and I am not sure if you're being serious or if you're simply stating the opposite of what the nearest KF user said.
It's now owned by Kape Technologies, a Unit 8200 spinoff. They spy by default.

Give Her The D

You have been BAMBOOZLED
kiwifarms.net
If you have the knowledge to do so, setting up your own VPN might not be a bad idea too. Vultr allows you to setup a VPS for $3.50 a month if you accept having 500GB of bandwidth to use every month, which should be more than plenty for web browsing and ocassional YouTube play. It's even cheaper if you choose to use an IPv6 only server, in which case they take $1 off the monthly price.

Jump

k/i/w/i/f/a/r/m/e/r
kiwifarms.net
I just use the Tor Browser after dropping a lot of tools that turns out to be selling out information, Duck Duck Go included. How fucked am I?
I use the TOR browser a lot so I guess your just as fucked as me. A little glow aint so bad.
The KF .onion works great and I don't really notice any speed difference with my shitty internet connection.

• Informative
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

Product Intervention

kiwifarms.net
It's now owned by Kape Technologies, a Unit 8200 spinoff. They spy by default.
How so? Could you give me a bit more than that.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick to you. I do want your information. But you're giving it out in drips and the burden of proof is on you to prove your claims.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
You shouldn't use a VPN with Tor as it reduces your security. It doesn't increase it. This has been said hundreds of times online by dozens of knowledgeable people.
I disagree with that. Just connecting to tor at all is seen as suspicious in many jurisdictions. There are valid reasons to use either TOR-over-VPN or VPN-over-TOR. Unless you're doing something horribly wrong, there's no reason using both should make things worse. There is no reason to disable a VPN just to connect to an onion service through TOR.

cjöcker

Against all the evil that Hell can conjure.
kiwifarms.net
You shouldn't use a VPN with Tor as it reduces your security. It doesn't increase it. This has been said hundreds of times online by dozens of knowledgeable people.
How does it reduce it? Wouldn't all shit that goes through tor go through the VPN aswell?

Edit: to be clear, what I mean is
your home net --> whatever fuckass VPN you use --> tor bullshit

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
How does it reduce it? Wouldn't all shit that goes through tor go through the VPN aswell?

Edit: to be clear, what I mean is
your home net --> whatever fuckass VPN you use --> tor bullshit
The VPN may have records of your connection, and at least knows your originating IP address. If you pay with USD, they have your payment information. However, the first TOR hop could do the same. But if someone gets a subpoena for your ISP and for the site you're connecting to with TOR, showing you were connected to TOR at the same time as the TOR connection to the site was made is at least consistent with you being that person, especially if they have other evidence to go along with that.

Anything involved with this site is likely to be civil, not criminal, unless you go massively full retard, so the standard of evidence would be preponderance, and they'd just have to prove "more likely than not."

If everything you do is through a VPN, and you also connect to TOR, at least the final hop will not be via the VPN where you (may be) known to have an account.

Tags
None