Real time/pseudo live gameplay in single player games

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Hikikomori-Yume

kiwifarms.net
Take for example Animal Crossing, it's a single player game but the world feels alive and depending on the time of day or date there are specific events that will occur.
How neat would it be if that type of game design made its way to single player RPG games like Final Fantasy or Elder Scrolls?
I am so sick of static and lifeless game worlds.

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
kiwifarms.net
Take for example Animal Crossing, it's a single player game but the world feels alive and depending on the time of day or date there are specific events that will occur.
How neat would it be if that type of game design made its way to single player RPG games like Final Fantasy or Elder Scrolls?
I am so sick of static and lifeless game worlds.
Game Freak just called, they want their monopoly on time-based events back.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
I thought the real world was your video game? How can you be bored of lifeless game worlds when you're the main character of the universe?
No, I'm the MC! You're all just my NPCs!

Now which dialogue option do I need to pick to get you to tell me the necromancer hideout's location?

nonperson

I am imaginary
kiwifarms.net
One game that does something similar is ToMe (https://te4.org). Completely single player, but you can chat with other players / see who is dying, and the admin routinely introduces in-game events for those that are online.

I guess the game world doesn't really change with the time of day, but it's still a pretty good gimmick to make it feel less static (also ToMe is an awesome game).

Otis Boi

SpOOKY Cow man extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net
Dosent the elder scrolls do this to a lesser extent. Most named NPCs have a schedule they follow through out the day. Plus they have the ability to deviate from said schedule if certain conditions are met. It's an oddly complex system that isn't used to it potential.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
Dosent the elder scrolls do this to a lesser extent. Most named NPCs have a schedule they follow through out the day. Plus they have the ability to deviate from said schedule if certain conditions are met. It's an oddly complex system that isn't used to it potential.
I think this kid wants the game’s clock to line up the console/PC’s internal clock

Clop

kiwifarms.net
A game like Final Fantasy or Elder Scrolls? Those are already massive worlds with ginormous storylines, substories, minigames, secret characters, items and extra challenges and you'd like to get seasonal/real-time events too because they're too static for you as they are now? (yes, I get it, you mean that they'd be even better, but still, jesus) This kind of thinking results in a Peter Molyneux. Less is more, and more is a feature creep.

Shit, now I kinda miss the times when I was freshly delighted that a video game had weather effects to keep me immersed but I guess it just goes to show that yesterday's wonder is tomorrow's mundane.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
Shit, now I kinda miss the times when I was freshly delighted that a video game had weather effects to keep me immersed but I guess it just goes to show that yesterday's wonder is tomorrow's mundane.

The periodic unscripted rainstorms in Honest Hearts made me hard as fucking diamonds.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some games have stuff like Twitch integration and the like where you can influence things like item drops, enemy placement, ect. It only really works for streamers with a good sized audience, but I thought it was a kinda-neat thing. It’s not an integral part, but it’s there to play with if you want.

Hikikomori-Yume

kiwifarms.net
I thought the real world was your video game? How can you be bored of lifeless game worlds when you're the main character of the universe?

No such thing as "the real world".
There are virtual realities and then there is the fleshnet.

Hopefully they expand on that type of feature in the next game.
If ESVI is just Skyrim with a new polish then I will be so disappointed.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
The idea to implement something like that in say FF or TES sounds super nice on paper, but unless it’s an mmo, the novelty will die super quickly. Even MHW can still be played without its MMO components offline

Mender Bug

kiwifarms.net
Although not the example you were probably looking for, the gen 5 Pokémon games actually change the in game season ever month. One of the few games that take seasonal changes into consideration

Kaede Did Nothing Wrong

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
sounds like something peter molyneux would say he's putting in a game then on release it's the same day/night cycle from zelda oot