‘Realistic’ Game Environments Don’t Acknowledge Disabled People -

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Since the playstation 5 is now awarding digital items and avatars for you to display on your account profile for winning trophies, we might get a repeat of people bitching that they all look like normal people
theirfinalbossisstairs.jpg

Then again considering that you now have the option of turning on built in online guides for games, you could say they're already appealing to the most handicapped people of all, game journalists.

Snekposter

Hiding from the Frontier fallout.
kiwifarms.net
Since the playstation 5 is now awarding digital items and avatars for you to display on your account profile for winning trophies, we might get a repeat of people bitching that they all look like normal people
View attachment 1673099

Then again considering that you now have the option of turning on built in online guides for games, you could say they're already appealing to the most handicapped people of all, game journalists
Someone please get Dean Takahashi a helmet. Against my better nature, I'm sincerely worried about his well-being.

Irrational Exuberance

SPEND! SPEND! SPEND!
kiwifarms.net
I'll throw this guy a bone.

All those bathrooms were built before the zombie apocalypse. Therefore, the reaction to the zombie hordes was ... remodel handicapped bathrooms into conventional bathrooms.

My headcanon is that one of the first things everyone did when the outbreak started was rip out the grab bars from the handicapped stalls, so they'd have something solid to bludgeon each other to death with.

ADN_VIII

Panzer Vor!
kiwifarms.net
I have a legitimate desire to dust off my Arma 3 modding tools and make a campaign where you play as a disabled journalist conscripted into the military to repel NATO invaders only for them to cruelly tip the wheelchair over and laugh at you really condescendingly. Just for this guy.

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
This article reminds me of that activist who praised STD for having a guy in a wheelchair as an active Starfleet officer.
View attachment 1643211
As someone with a Disability I think this is one of the most pathetic things I've ever read. Their self-actualization is more fucked up than their body will ever be.

Also for the record I'd actually prefer not to play people like me in game. I'm not particulary interested in the game deliberatly blurring the text on the screen and making making my character auto fail certain things when I should have got it.

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
Geordi La Forge was an abilist traitor for wearing a visor that cured his blindness. He should have been able to tell what's wrong with warp cores by licking them.

Don't get me started on that time that uncle tom worf tried to help after his friends talked him down from suicide. How fucking dare he not be okay with being completly paralized.

Cyclonus

kiwifarms.net
Do you know what the best thing about this article is? Someone tried to troll them by leaving this comment:

"Why doesn’t this article meet WCAG accessibility guidelines? You miss the minimum basic things like adding alt text to images and making it friendly for screen readers for the visually disabled. It is also horrible for those with cognitive disabilities as well with a high Flesch reading index. You managed to discriminate against people with both physical disabilities and cognitive difficulties at the same time. Do better."

To which they replied:

"Hi there! We’re very sorry for dropping the ball here. We’re still learning what all we need to include to make things more accessible, but we apologize for anything we miss. We’ll do better in the future."

They're so fucking cucked that they can't recognise obvious sarcasm.

Last edited:

Pulpanator

Snake Girl Aficionado
kiwifarms.net
I want a game where you play as a crippled person who gets thier wheelchair stolen by an organized criminal organization and you have to crawl your way though numerous gang members/other criminal organizations and the unforgiving video game world where slopes and other disabled friendly paths dont exist to find the mobster that stole your wheelchair.

Miller

kiwifarms.net
I want a game where you play as a crippled person who gets thier wheelchair stolen by an organized criminal organization and you have to crawl your way though numerous gang members/other criminal organizations and the unforgiving video game world where slopes and other disabled friendly paths dont exist to find the mobster that stole your wheelchair.
Add some cliché supernatural twist 3/4 into the story and you have a David Cage "game".

HensKenKline

kiwifarms.net
I'd kinda love to play a game that sarcastically fulfills all these wishes and is populated only by cripples and you yourself play from an ego shooter perspective but you're on a wheelchair and you can do crazy wheelchair stunts and takedowns and shit like that, or roll over people's heads to cut them off. And you're the "good cripple" fighting all the "bad cripples". And the objective would be to fight all those who have appropriated people of color and have painted their wheelchairs black, they are basically the cripple blackfaces, the blackchairs. They're super evil and you see them doing microaggressions all the time, like when a dog walks by they are super ableist and say "that dog is a bit small" and then your character self-righteously mumbles "you should know better" (like the tree in LotR) and kills the blackchair. Oh and then there are of course the whitechairs, who are like white supremacist cripples. They always sneer at black cripples. They are also your enemy. Your own chair is either a neutral grey or a rainbow, but the latter is only available if you design your character to be gay because otherwise it would be sexual appropriation. At the end all the greychairs and queerchairs win and dominate the very accessible world but then there's a final showdown between the two, because the queerchairs decide the greychairs aren't diverse enough for their taste and the greychairs hate the queerchairs for excluding pedoqueerchairs.