‘Realistic’ Game Environments Don’t Acknowledge Disabled People -

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net

Toolbox

Buy dat hell
kiwifarms.net
No, it's bike guy with kid?

after patching do the wheelchair guys get up and run sometimes still?
1613710187800.png
It chooses a random character every time. One of them is the old wheelchair guy.

Rotollo

"Consider Euthanasia!"
kiwifarms.net
This article is gay as fuck
I know a kid whose entire life he's had spinal shit that caused him to be in a wheelchair, and he likes that aspect of video games. Not even for the power fantasy aspect of it, but because for him shit like eating at a restaurant in games like yakuza is a way for him to simulate stuff he just simply can't do in real life. It lets him live out the mundanity of life and I find that beautiful in a way.

AnOminous

とても可愛い
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Give these people a game where you get to climb Machu Picchu in a wheelchair while people try to throw you down it again. Satisfy them.

TVStactic

kiwifarms.net
Give these people a game where you get to climb Machu Picchu in a wheelchair while people try to throw you down it again. Satisfy them.
i'm sure you can find some unity knockoff that is probably a platformer.
I’m surprised his autism didn’t allow him to communicate with anthropomorphic hedgehogs
he actually was strapped onto a clockwork orange styled machine thing until he is rescued by shepard or kept in the machine so he didn't have chance at all to think about anthropomorphic hedgehogs.

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure that Dalek Attack came out in 1992 and those cunts couldn’t get up stairs either.

edit: I mean I know they could, and they could also fly, but originally they couldn't even trundle down the street without a magnetic plate underneath them.

Last edited:

VIPPER?

kiwifarms.net
This is actually almost interesting. Way back I was part of an indie studio trying to make a game with a protagonist who's wheelchair bound and it did make me realize how few vidya environments would pass modern building code for having wheelchair ramps, accessible elevators, etc. Most of it is just that video game environments aren't realistic at all because they're places to shoot guys first and functional spaces second. Complaining that two-storey homes in GTAV don't have chair lifts is petty, but it'd be an interesting thing to see once in a while when it's appropriate. Batman Arkham Knight had Oracle in her chair but her space in the clock tower didn't look very accessible to me! Books all on the floor and 12ft high shelves and shit. How did she even get in or out? The tower only had steps, iirc

I actually would like to see more level designers instead make functional spaces and then fit them to encounters, though. Like the bathroom example a lot of people have already used -- just have some bathrooms but lock the doors if it's not necessary play-space. Or, include them, and incorporate them well into the game. SWAT4's levels always had bathrooms, and they're fucking death traps because perps understandably like to hide in there with a shotgun pointed at the door.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The one area where functional spaces make sense is like a free running parkour game. as far as I remember Mirror's Edge isn't a true open environment game but it would be cool to see it remade as a true open environment

Toolbox

Buy dat hell
kiwifarms.net
The one area where functional spaces make sense is like a free running parkour game. as far as I remember Mirror's Edge isn't a true open environment game but it would be cool to see it remade as a true open environment
Mirror's edge catalyst is basically this and the parkour is way better. Sound design is excellent too and the game is beautiful, but the story is somehow even weaker than 1's, if you care about that. Combat is better though and actually flows decently. It's crazy how much of the map you can actually interact with, too. There's a cheating client, I think one of MrAntiFun's, that allows noclipping, and you can go to random buildings in the distance and stand on them, parkour on them. Combined with a cheat that disables fall damage or kill barriers and it's a fun time once you're done with the main campaign.

Big Ruski

My eyes are down here sir
kiwifarms.net
I thought Tomb of the Giants in Dark Souls was pretty blind friendly. Couldn't see shit before I got the lamp.

VIPPER?

kiwifarms.net
Who the fuck cares. If your a gamer, even if your disabled, your probably not even going to be playing a game where you play as a guy in a wheelchair or crutches. I'm sure your really mad because you don't get to play the rest of the game in a wheelchair in The Surge and Wolfenstein 2
Wolf 2's opening segment actually made me a little mad because BJ can totally go through ship hatches in a chair like they're flat ground. Shit is ridiculous

StraightShooter2

kiwifarms.net
I'm going to assume video games don't "acknowledge disabled people" because most of the activities you do in a video game would require you not to be disabled.

So this is like whining that there aren't enough players in wheelchairs in the NFL, or that blind NASCAR drivers are severely underrepresented.