Realistic shit that many people would think is unrealistic if they saw it in games - When real doesn't "look real."

Pocket Dragoon

you're disturbing my calm.
kiwifarms.net
And as you can guess from the speed, its not going to be able to maneuver while under water. Best not miss, and best hope your target has no friends in the area.

The launch datum and track will be massive, but the reaction time to target is massively reduced, especially point-blank. And outside of training cruises, war shots are rarely ever singular, nor are boats alone.... especially if they're missile boats.

Supercavs (at least in Russian/Chicom/etc service) seem to have largely taken the place of ASROC delivered torpedos... along with being dedicated to nukes (supposedly). For obvious reasons, we don't know too much about similar systems in USN/NATO service.

Subsurface warfare has come a long, long way since the 80's and 90's.... and we likely won't ever hear of the gritty tech details until a long time from now. Hell, it wasn't until one blew up the Kursk and the Iranians buying a bunch, that supercavs really came to anyone's attention outside the Navy.

The amount of ninja shit modern subs are capable of (even/especially with diesel/electric boats) now is kinda terrifying, but also reassuring.
At least in the event of some sort of catastrophic alien invasion or world war, we have enough face-melting shit waiting underwater that'll make things very costly for the enemy.

More AWS-8Q Than You

kiwifarms.net
Similar to this, shotguns. FPS games have pretty much cemented shotguns as the “high DPS, high spread, low range” gun that if a realistic shotgun were implemented, it would feel incredibly overpowered because IRL they have a much longer range and tighter spread.
I remember in battlefield 3 you could put a scope on one of the shotguns and run it with slugs and it made it into a very handy urban combat ranged shotgun. And everyone bitched and DICE nerfed it for 4. These people couldn't handle the concept of a bolt action slug gun.

Shield Breaker

Blabber Mouth
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The suppressor one is always funny because for Call of Duty or whatever they often show how much they researched the guns and went to the range and fired them and everything to get the sounds, for one Battlefield they even talked about how they fired them in different environments to get the sound to bounce correctly and so on, then you get a suppressor and it's pew pew and nobody reacts to it.
I think they keep it because everyone 'knows' how silencers sound, and they would be inundated with retards telling them they got it wrong.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
I think they keep it because everyone 'knows' how silencers sound, and they would be inundated with retards telling them they got it wrong.
For gameplay purposes Hollywood silencers are useful.

I'm thinking of that scene from Scarface where they kill that guy in a house and cover up the gunshot by having a guy entertain children with Judas Belt firecrackers(according to google that's what they're called). A Hitman-style game with 2 or more characters playable at the same time could be cool. Go and start an altercation on the dance floor with one guy, while people are looking at that then use the other guy at the bar to...

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People would complain and say it's not realistic, but getting the surprise shits in a Call of Duty campaign in the middle of fighting terrorists in some shithole country is actually pretty realistic. It happened to me once, didn't even pause the game I just ran to the bathroom.

I find myself thinking about how that was a very real possibility that has happened to at least a couple of soldiers and wondered what goes on in their head when that happens.

Must be an absolutely miserable feeling.

Pocket Dragoon

you're disturbing my calm.
kiwifarms.net
People would complain and say it's not realistic, but getting the surprise shits in a Call of Duty campaign in the middle of fighting terrorists in some shithole country is actually pretty realistic. It happened to me once, didn't even pause the game I just ran to the bathroom.

I find myself thinking about how that was a very real possibility that has happened to at least a couple of soldiers and wondered what goes on in their head when that happens.

Must be an absolutely miserable feeling.
That's what empty MRE pouches are for. They stay open enough if you roll & fold the edges nice; and when finished made into a literal shitbomb with zip ties, the remaining MRE heater & small bottle of water.

(Pro-tip: zip ties through the open corners aren't for sealing, they're for distance; shit, spin, throw.)

Last edited:

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
For gameplay purposes Hollywood silencers are useful.

I'm thinking of that scene from Scarface where they kill that guy in a house and cover up the gunshot by having a guy entertain children with Judas Belt firecrackers(according to google that's what they're called). A Hitman-style game with 2 or more characters playable at the same time could be cool. Go and start an altercation on the dance floor with one guy, while people are looking at that then use the other guy at the bar to...
Don't the Sniper Elite games also use masking the sound of your shot as a gameplay feature?

Penis Drager

Pronouns: Fee/Fi/Fo/Fum
kiwifarms.net
I remember in battlefield 3 you could put a scope on one of the shotguns and run it with slugs and it made it into a very handy urban combat ranged shotgun. And everyone bitched and DICE nerfed it for 4. These people couldn't handle the concept of a bolt action slug gun.
I'm not gonna lie: I was one of those assholes who would basically use the shotguns in BF3 as an OP sniper. Shit was cash.

More AWS-8Q Than You

kiwifarms.net
I'm not gonna lie: I was one of those assholes who would basically use the shotguns in BF3 as an OP sniper. Shit was cash.
I've always loved the oddball weapons in FPSs, so I understand. I'm just always amused how people will bitch over shotguns having an effective range of more than two yards, but are fine with shit like how CoD treats the P90 and lets SMGs one shot head shot people across maps. The sad part is, if you'd been using an actual sniper rifle, they'd have bitched less. Other than kit loadout, no real difference. But one will drive people into fits.

It's like when you discover that the real purpose of the n00b tube was to fuck over snipers hiding in cover and such, or only used them for the close range non-explosive kills. Killing someone with the physical grenade never got old.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
For as odd as the game was, E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy is the only other game I can think of off the top of my head that had a shotgun that was effective past Bad Touch range. You do a lot of corridor fighting and mid-range engagements, so early on before you get access to the really crazy shit, the Depazador and its twenty round magazine do some damn fine work for most maps if you don't want to bring an assault rifle of some stripe.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
I've always loved the oddball weapons in FPSs, so I understand. I'm just always amused how people will bitch over shotguns having an effective range of more than two yards, but are fine with shit like how CoD treats the P90 and lets SMGs one shot head shot people across maps. The sad part is, if you'd been using an actual sniper rifle, they'd have bitched less. Other than kit loadout, no real difference. But one will drive people into fits.

It's like when you discover that the real purpose of the n00b tube was to fuck over snipers hiding in cover and such, or only used them for the close range non-explosive kills. Killing someone with the physical grenade never got old.
I was always an ace at explosive weapons that had an arch to them and I used them as absurd long range artillery. Or short range by shooting them almost straight up to hit people behind cover/buildings. People got so pissed. There's a lot of articles about getting death threats in multiplayer games and how bad/traumatizing it is. Boo-hoo, death threats lets you know that you're doing good!

Kane Lives

Peace through power
kiwifarms.net
For as odd as the game was, E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy is the only other game I can think of off the top of my head that had a shotgun that was effective past Bad Touch range. You do a lot of corridor fighting and mid-range engagements, so early on before you get access to the really crazy shit, the Depazador and its twenty round magazine do some damn fine work for most maps if you don't want to bring an assault rifle of some stripe.
Borderlands had a few shotgun like that. But since the entire premise of the game was RNG guns I'm not sure how much that counted. Borderlands 2 did have a class of shotguns called hunting shotguns which are basically snipers.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
Borderlands had a few shotgun like that. But since the entire premise of the game was RNG guns I'm not sure how much that counted. Borderlands 2 did have a class of shotguns called hunting shotguns which are basically snipers.
I mean, I'd say it counts in some manner, even if you have to wait until the stars align for it to happen or just hack it, because fuck that noise. I mainly recall the one from E.Y.E on sheer dint of how strange that game was, while the only thing that really stuck in my craw from Borderlands was being Brick.

Fun trivia: the classic "pew" sound of a silenced pistol may have been invented for Man From UNCLE, where it did not represent a silenced pistol. It represented a tranquilizing dart, used by UNCLE agents to keep the episode's death count low enough for network censors for humanitarian reasons. Confusion may have resulted since they often used silencers.

Tranquillisers are another entry in their own right - in media and games, it's an instant knock out weapon. In real life however the dosage must be exact, since too little could be ineffective and too much could be fatal.

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
Tranquillisers are another entry in their own right - in media and games, it's an instant knock out weapon. In real life however the dosage must be exact, since too little could be ineffective and too much could be fatal.
There's a reason the military calls "nonlethal" weapons "less-than-lethal." It doesn't sound as good, but it's a lot more accurate.

meinkraft

I like to do human things like collecting flowers
kiwifarms.net
Injecting yourself or teammates during war with drugs to revive/heal them doesn't make them get back up and keep fighting. There's still a lot more things to consider like bullet wounds, etc.

This is also done by soldiers in video games. Realistically, this would be done by field medics.

jje100010001

kiwifarms.net
Dogfights in WW2, and to a lesser extent WW1 were not really about planes twiesting and turning in the sky trying to get behind eachother. Most kills were achieved by diving at an unaware opponent and them never knowing what hit them
As someone who isn't really into war stuff and is only really a layman at the history, I also found it interesting that a lot of modern naval battles were more of a loose game of hide and seek, where timing and surprise are one of the more important things besides firepower. Same as to how many warships optimally needed months of repair/refit after engagement.

Most modern media in emphasizing only the battles sort of makes you think that ships went from battle-battle, and that battles were still massive fleets steaming into battle with one another. This also carries forward into the sci-fi genres (where space ships are equivocated to earth navies), and so something like Children of a Dead Earth was interesting in the way it portrayed space ships and battles.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Aiming. Modern fps games have a character that never touched a gun immediately have the aiming skill of a demigod, especially if it's a game with mouse aiming. It's more realistic to shoot in a general direction to where a cursor is aimed unless there is a plot justification.

Also any "pacifist run" is strictly impossible unless you don't interact with any human in the vicinity.