Red Dwarf -

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I watched through some of Season X. Wandered off at... lemons? the one with Lister's father's day celebrations?
It was okay, but I got a weird fanfic-y sort of vibe where they'd take some odd detail like Rimmer's middle name of Judas and built a story around it.

Back To Earth was maudlin but I enjoyed it as a finale to the concept even if it didn't end up as such.

I need to get back on listening to Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show.

Tragi-Chan

A thousand years old
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know I'll regret asking this....

There were two U.S. Red Dwarfs?
The second one is worse than the first. Basically it's a clip show in which Jane Leeves as Holly recounts some of the exciting adventures they've had. The clips are all either reused footage from the British series (with little attempt to disguise the fact that the characters look completely different) or low-budget remakes of scenes from the British series. The saddest bit was the remade bit of 'Marooned,' in which the Starbug set was just a bunch of boxes with a sheet over them. And while I'm sure Terry Farrell is a fine actress, her version of the Cat just screamed "we have no idea what we're doing with this character."

But yeah, glad there's a thread about this series, which has been a favourite of mine since I was too young to get the jokes. I went off it with series 8 and Back to Earth can go fuck itself, but series 10 really felt like a return to form. I think the lower budget actually helped, it seems to have resulted in more character and dialogue-based comedy rather than the "WE PAID FOR A DINOSAUR, LAUGH YOU BASTARDS" jokes of series 8.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
I did see both US versions. While I wouldn't have minded a female Cat, it's too bad they went with generic tough girl (who is a stray). There wasn't that much humor you could get out of her. A frisky, flirty, very mischievous diva with crazy fashions (toned down drag queen level) would've been a more fun route.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love Red Dwarf, by the way if anyone has any audible credits the two Red Dwarf audiobooks read by Chris Barrie/Rimmer are really good!

(If you're in the US with a credit card (Or have a credit card that works in American stores) and have never been an Audible.com member you can get two free audiobooks instead of one by signing up via Amazon.com, you can then just cancel your active membership and you'll not be charged anything and get to keep the audiobooks.)

Last edited:

Tragi-Chan

A thousand years old
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I did see both US versions. While I wouldn't have minded a female Cat, it's too bad they went with generic tough girl (who is a stray). There wasn't that much humor you could get out of her. A frisky, flirty, very mischievous diva with crazy fashions (toned down drag queen level) would've been a more fun route.
Writing major female characters has always been a bit of a problem with Dwarf. Kochanski was a case in point - when she was a secondary character played by Clare Grogan, I thought she was pretty good. She also seemed to be the sort of person who Lister could plausibly get with. But when she became a main character, suddenly she lost all her edge and her character traits became "likes baths and shopping."

The only one who really worked IMO was Hattie Hayridge's version of Holly, because she was deliberately written to resemble the Norman Lovett version.

SeattleFaerie

Tranny asshole who knows what's what
kiwifarms.net
So there was a contest for tickets to filming of Series XI and XII but it didn't say it was restricted to the UK, so I never applied even though I really wanted to. Also don't have a passport.

Anyway, love this programme and cannot wait for the next 2 series.

SeattleFaerie

Tranny asshole who knows what's what
kiwifarms.net
Polymorph and Rimmerworld (the one with the planet that morphs to his psyche) were standouts for me. Also the Despair Squid one, ooh and the Wild West Virtual Reality game one.

Awesome, awesome show.
I loved Rimmerworld but I thought that was clones of him. Anyway, my favourite is Blue, mostly cause of the intro and that fucking kiss.

Tags
None