Red Letter Media -

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

frozenrunner

Back to the salt mines...
kiwifarms.net
I love how the RLM guys kind of effortlessly fall into the "reasonable fence-sitter" role when it's actually reasonable to be there. They aren't trying to fit in with anyone or make anyone happy, just express natural, level-headed viewpoints.

Robert Storms is the channel name:

Yikes, my guy! More like Robert Stormsfront :smug:

Cosmos

Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Holy shit, that neckbeard rant is both amazing and exhausting. It's crazy how much wrongness and ignorance he crams into a few minutes. My eyebrows rose when he complained about how Joker should have won because of its themes of class conflict and mental illness... themes which are central to Parasite. Literally all you would have to do is read a fucking 2-sentence synopsis of Parasite to know that.

At this point, most of these neckbeard anti-SJW types who bitch about SJWs and "wokeness" really mean "Everything that doesn't cater to straight white men is fake-woke pandering and should be ignored."

Also, regarding the video itself, I'm just disappointed that Mike and Jay didn't really discuss Parasite. It was more a discussion of the Oscars, which would have been a good separate video. I know they said they didn't want to spoil it because they want people to see it but they've done spoiler-free discussions before. I would think Jay would have a lot to say about it.

ddlloo

kiwifarms.net
I genuinely don't understand what that sperg meant by 'Parasite' being the woke choice (it sure as shit aint Moonlight 2: Electric Boogaloo), or his logic as to why it shouldn't even be allowed to be nominated for best film.

Oh, and a special shout out to them, for showing Hanoi Jane's ridiculous twitter post about wearing 'ethically harvested gold and sustainable diamonds', featuring her psychopath eyes.

frozenrunner

Back to the salt mines...
kiwifarms.net
At this point, most of these neckbeard anti-SJW types who bitch about SJWs and "wokeness" really mean "Everything that doesn't cater to straight white men is fake-woke pandering and should be ignored."
:story:

No, not really. They're just so sick of, and thus overly sensitive to, the politically correct bullshit that's everywhere now that they perceive woketard crap in places it isn't necessarily.

"Straight white men" (lol, nobody is outraged about fags anymore, it's not the 90s) don't walk around playing the identity politics game to the degree most other groups do. Everyone is motivated by tribalism and self-interest, sure, but "straight white men" don't think, "Why doesn't this represent me?! I demand this be changed to pander to me!" It's more like, "Jesus, more of this disingenuous, bizarre, reality-ignoring nonsense again from fundie regressive cultists who can't shut the fuck up about their version of Jesus. When are they going to fuck off?"

That guy in that video is a (fat) idiot, but you're not much better for projecting your identity politics mindset onto other people. Being "woke" (as distinct from left-of-center or even progressive) is thoroughly exceptional and should be, at minimum, laughed at.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
Holy shit, that neckbeard rant is both amazing and exhausting. It's crazy how much wrongness and ignorance he crams into a few minutes. My eyebrows rose when he complained about how Joker should have won because of its themes of class conflict and mental illness... themes which are central to Parasite. Literally all you would have to do is read a fucking 2-sentence synopsis of Parasite to know that.

Yeah, I liked Joker and everything, but it certainly wasn't better than Parasite. I too enjoyed the irony of his lack of awareness that Parasite had the exact same themes as Joker (maybe not so much the mental illness angle). My response to him would be twofold:
1. As Mike and Jay have said many times before, the Oscars are an industry award show. They literally don't make one lick of difference to anyone outside the industry, so stop placing so much value on what out-of-touch film industry types think.
2. You have zero right to complain about a movie winning an award if you haven't seen it, and less than zero if you don't even know a single thing about it.

As an example, I only saw three of the Best Picture noms last year (Black Panther, Green Book, and The Favourite), and of those I really wanted The Favourite to win because I considered it the best of what I had seen. The Academy chose the basic "racism is bad, m'kay" movie instead. Don't get me wrong, I still found Green Book entertaining, but there really wasn't anything special about it, and it certainly wasn't the best. Or this year, I once again only saw three noms (Parasite, Joker, and Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood), and of those I felt Parasite was the best, though I would have been fine with Once Upon winning as well. Joker would have been funny if it won, but I really didn't think it would.

Point being, if a movie I hadn't seen had won the Oscar, I wouldn't get mad about it because I'd have no frame of reference. The guy they showed seems proud to be ignorant of other films that came out this year, and I'd guess that Joker was the only one of the Best Picture noms he saw. Those clips were downright painful to watch.
Also, regarding the video itself, I'm just disappointed that Mike and Jay didn't really discuss Parasite. It was more a discussion of the Oscars, which would have been a good separate video. I know they said they didn't want to spoil it because they want people to see it but they've done spoiler-free discussions before. I would think Jay would have a lot to say about it.
Eh, they never really do any post-Oscars videos. When they do anything related to the awards, it's a quick review of any of the nominated movies they haven't covered before and their own predictions for the winners. They generally only bring up cringeworthy or embarrassing moments, like Joaquin's bizarre rambling acceptance speech from this year.

Plus, I think Jay brought up that he feels as though it's best not to know too much before going into the movie, and I concur, though there are a couple of out-of-context spoilers in the clips they show during the review. In this case, while the movie is certainly worth discussing, it was more entertaining to bring up Hollywood hypocrisy and that one angry redneck instead. They also seemed a little embarrassed to have not covered it before the Oscars, it looked like they felt bad about not getting around to it until now.

On a side note, tell me I'm not the only one who was worried they were going to fake us out and actually review Birds of Prey instead.

KrewlKween

It's a Krewl Krewl Summer
kiwifarms.net
I wish they would have alluded to the neckbeard sperg but not played his clips or talked about him as much. Maybe one short gag and that's it. Let's not give people like that the attention they crave, and RLM are usually better then that. It just encourages them to make more even when you're calling them out. Nerd Crew is shitting on Collider, but they don't have to play Collider clips to get that point across.

I feel like Mike picking up that thing and fiddling with it while he said his piece at the end was him knowing he probably shouldn't say something but knowing he has to. Because he's fucking right. These people don't practice what they preach, they get Oscars swag bags worth thousands, have personal chefs, nannies, and could want for nothing. But they want to stand on a stage and use their platform to tell us why meat bad and POC good. Those are all fine points and maybe famous people using their platform and privilege to speak on these topics is a good thing, but I can never get past how disingenuous it feels. It's like how every fucking person with a large following has been trying to put out "it's not about the numbers" content lately to be all oh if you have 50 subs that's great don't worry that you don't have a million....says the person with 2 million. Like shut the fuck up, you aren't struggling and you obviously love being where you are so people are allowed to be upset they're nobodies.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As we all are. I'm just saying I think they could have found a more creative way of dunking on his dumb ass without reusing his sperg out clips. No point in signal boosting that tard.
I think the sperg already did a good job hanging himself so there's not much of a need to do a bit. It's like that Rifftrax of Troll 2 or Plan 9. It's redundant.

• Autistic
Reactions: Buttercreamer Pete

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

And a teardrop emits from Reshiram's eye
kiwifarms.net
Robert Storms is the channel name:

I watched the fatfuck redneck's video and RLM's treatment of it is pretty spot on. This is the worst ratio i've seen on an indie creator's video and I think it is very well earned.

1581798741995.png

Bong Joon Ho is one of the best movie directors of all time and if any foreign director merits "Best Film", I think he's a good choice. The man knows how to tell a story that is incredibly Korean while remaining accessible to audiences who lack the cultural context.

This was a good episode and I hope they keep it up.

Trig.Point

I wouldn't start from here.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bong Joon Ho is one of the best movie directors of all time and if any foreign director merits "Best Film", I think he's a good choice. The man knows how to tell a story that is incredibly Korean while remaining accessible to audiences who lack the cultural context.

This was a good episode and I hope they keep it up.
This is a guy that made Snowpiercer an insane cinematic masterpiece, that never got the audience it deserved because he got in an argument with Harvey Weinstein.

As for Robert Storms, I have a little bit of sympathy for him. Obviously the Joker resonated with him, and more prominent YouTubers such as Steven Crowder have attacked the idea of giving a foreign language picture best film, it was just his take was a bit less coherent, and relied a bit too much on the angry reviewer trope.

He has actually made a video 'review' where he sings Parasite's praises, but despite what he says it's obvious he can't get over it being in a foreign language, saying he'd have preferred a dubbed version.

• Autistic
Reactions: Buttercreamer Pete

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
That was a great episode.

I'm one of the few people who saw Doctor Sleep in theaters and I'm glad I did because the return of the Overlook was great to see on the big screen.

And Jay's description of "a drama with supernatural elements" is exactly how I've described Stephen King's modern works, he's evolved from being a strictly "horror" guy.

Also, Jane Fonda looks like fucking Marshall Applewhite in that Oscar Tweet photo.

We're a long way away from the days of this.

Tags
None