Red Letter Media -

Ten2Nine

kiwifarms.net

I'm only two minutes in and it's great.
Mike 01.png

I know they've got their hands full right now with Star Trek: Picard but I really hope at some point they do a re:View of The Twilight Zone (2019). This is like the 3rd or 4th video Mike has mentioned how much he disliked it. It sounds like Jay and Rich have already seen it as well so that helps the odds, I'd think. Also, it sounds like Mike is under the impression that this was a one and done season where the show didn't get renewed but a second season was ordered just under a month after it premiered. Mike could have been making a joke, like it was so bad how could they possibly renew it, but usually in RLM that's followed up with a screenshot of an entertainment website confirming more is on it's way and a slide whistle sound. Maybe when he finds out about Season 2 it'll ignite his disgust enough that he'll squeeze it in before Season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery.

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Man, it's obvious that Mike still wants to love Trek and still has a passion for it & still wants to love it like it's the old. Rich, just watches it because his best friend still watches it and does so to maintain the past connection they had. That is why Rich is the best friend one could hope for in life.
It's a nice thought, but Rich said he didn't want to watch Discovery Season 2 at their end of their Season 1 review and Mike told him he was going to force him because "it's his job."

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
and I think some of the praise he heaped on The Motion Picture was downright silly -- for instance, loving the new uniforms when they're so visually unintersting the characters disappear into the beige and eccru sets.
As someone who can count The Motion Picture as one of my absolute favorite movies I can still back this comment up. Those were the worst uniforms in the entire franchise. He was also off point in saying they looked comfortable, because the actors complained that they were way too tight and there were plenty of moments where they needed help actually getting into and even out of them. There's a reason most uniforms in reality are just shirt, belt, pants, maybe a jacket and hat.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As someone who can count The Motion Picture as one of my absolute favorite movies I can still back this comment up. Those were the worst uniforms in the entire franchise. He was also off point in saying they looked comfortable, because the actors complained that they were way too tight and there were plenty of moments where they needed help actually getting into and even out of them. There's a reason most uniforms in reality are just shirt, belt, pants, maybe a jacket and hat.
Wasn't there some crazy amount of sweat in them too, to the point they had to dry them out after every day of shooting with hair dryers and they constantly stank?

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't there some crazy amount of sweat in them too, to the point they had to dry them out after every day of shooting with hair dryers and they constantly stank?
I haven't read up on it in awhile but I think it was the thiness of the material that made the sweat look obvious. All the subsequent uniforms had ways of hiding sweat (the jackets for Wrath of Khan, black material for TNG/DS9, jackets again for First Contact/DS9).

Francis E. Dec Esc.

kiwifarms.net
According to Walter Koenig, you also had to completely disrobe to go to the bathroom.

KrewlKween

It's a Krewl Krewl Summer
kiwifarms.net
Mike is still trying to think too deeply about all of this. I love that Rich is constantly bringing him back down to earth and pointing out things likely have no deeper meaning because Alex Kurtzman. It seemed at times they were getting confused about the admonition. It wasn't that a supreme being comes to wipe out synths when they get too developed, its first contact for the synths and they come to wipe out humanity, the only thing in the synths way. I think they're all way off on what is actually going on with the borg reclamation project though. They kept spinning their wheels about what it actually meant, being some sort of trap to lure Soji in. I think since the Romulans knew about the admonition they think the only way to stop it short of wiping out synths (what they tried already) is to try and BECOME synth. By "reclaiming" borg technology to find a way to become more synthetic to either hide themselves from the supreme being that comes to aid the synths or to curry favor with it. I think Mike is spot on about the 8 suns being part of a super weapon though. I wasn't quire sure what all that 8 suns shit was about. Who really made it and why. I only remember someone saying it was a "warning" and that's it.

• Feels
Reactions: Guts Gets Some

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Mike is still trying to think too deeply about all of this. I love that Rich is constantly bringing him back down to earth and pointing out things likely have no deeper meaning because Alex Kurtzman. It seemed at times they were getting confused about the admonition. It wasn't that a supreme being comes to wipe out synths when they get too developed, its first contact for the synths and they come to wipe out humanity, the only thing in the synths way. I think they're all way off on what is actually going on with the borg reclamation project though. They kept spinning their wheels about what it actually meant, being some sort of trap to lure Soji in. I think since the Romulans knew about the admonition they think the only way to stop it short of wiping out synths (what they tried already) is to try and BECOME synth. By "reclaiming" borg technology to find a way to become more synthetic to either hide themselves from the supreme being that comes to aid the synths or to curry favor with it. I think Mike is spot on about the 8 suns being part of a super weapon though. I wasn't quire sure what all that 8 suns shit was about. Who really made it and why. I only remember someone saying it was a "warning" and that's it.
It's a modern rendition of "Who's on First?".

Racist Trash

Hey, I'm a piece of plastic in a plastic suit!
kiwifarms.net
I still vividly recall the miserable experience of watching Star Trek Into Darkness and not having a clue what the fuck was happening, they seriously put that fuck nugget in charge of the entire Star Trek franchise?
It is baffling that he still has anything to do with Star Trek after killing the reboot film franchise, like I enjoyed ST:Beyond but it flopped because of just how fucking exceptional Into Darkness was and I feel bad for Simon Peg where he makes a good enough movie and it got fucked by Kurtzman's legacy.

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
Mike has made plenty of mistakes regarding Trek facts. In the Plinkett reviews, he was actually incorrect in that the original Enterprise wasn't built on Earth, like in the film. But... he also thought Yoda was in a thong during TLJ, so the dementia is settling in. It's understandable.

Even Jim thought those uniforms looked cozy, so I guess the costume department did their jobs right, haha. And yet they thought the later velvet ones weren't comfortable, when they were in use across all forms of Trek for the next 20+ years straight. Obviously, they were well liked.

Racist Trash

Hey, I'm a piece of plastic in a plastic suit!
kiwifarms.net
Discard had one positive effect: Lots and lots of RLM Trek videos.

It truly has been great having all this brilliant RLM content in such a short period of time I feel like it has revitilised mike's desire to make videos more than anything. Probably because it causes Rich to suffer.

Tags
None