Red Letter Media -

Reverend

kiwifarms.net

Idiotron

Autismus Prime
kiwifarms.net
Counter Point: M from NuBond was pretty bad ass lady who had her character arc done really well even though she had to deal with shit upto her eyeballs. Took 3 movies for her to be 'liked' but her death was good closure.
To be fair, she debuted as M in the mid 90's, it was a different time.
Also, Goldeneye is good and liked by most, debuting in a good piece of media helps with a character's likability.

stuffandthings

Inflammatory Metacommentary
kiwifarms.net
This is a review that has to be WATCHED, not just listened to. I've done both, and a lot of the humor is lost without all the constant visual irony on the screen. If anyone starts complaining about this one 'not being funny' ask them if they just put it on as background noise. He doesn't have as many voiced 'jokes' in this one, and just listened to it could be taken for a standard angry review done very well. The brilliance is in the bitter juxtaposition of script and visuals.

Flexo

Drunk posting normal. Beware sober posting.
kiwifarms.net
I think the best examples are Doctor Who and Marvel Comics. Doctor Who is almost 60 years old, and it had plenty of ups and downs over the decades, but it's only now that it's been damaged seemingly beyond repair, with plot developments that will be difficult if not impossible to repair, and, worse, a thoroughly alienated fanbase. Similarly, Marvel had plenty of periods of low quality during roughly the same period of time (if we date modern Marvel from the birth of the Avengers and Spider-Man), but it's only now -- ironically, while movies based on their material are the biggest entertainment juggernaut in the world -- that the quality is so damaged it's practically on life support.

There's something uniquely corrosive about identity politics. I think it may be because it's nearly a religious conviction. The people responsible will not abandon what they're doing to these properties no matter how badly it affects the bottom line. The only hope is for them to collapse completely and, maybe, get resurrected by someone who still cares about the core values of the original product. But I can't even think of an example where that happened.
TL;DR-

1980: "Make it entertaining. And if you want to slip some activism in there - hey, it's okay - but don't over do it, because we have merch to sell."
2020: "Make it activism. And if you want to slip some entertainment in there - hey, it's okay - but don't over do it, because we have upvotes on Twitter to collect."

(Stolen from youtube)

Starscreams Cape

Read my posts in his voice
kiwifarms.net
TL;DR-

1980: "Make it entertaining. And if you want to slip some activism in there - hey, it's okay - but don't over do it, because we have merch to sell."
2020: "Make it activism. And if you want to slip some entertainment in there - hey, it's okay - but don't over do it, because we have upvotes on Twitter to collect."

(Stolen from youtube)
This might be the most cutting, concise comment I've seen since I've joined this board.

TheImportantFart

The Farter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Holy fuck, that review was great.

I didn't watch Picard, because I heard it wasn't very good, and this review saved me the trouble. Did they actually have someone dropping multiple f-bombs? In Star Trek? That's almost as bad as it happening in Star Wars. Did they learn nothing from Data's "Oh shit" line in Generations?

I think everyone's right. This might be the most negative Plinkett review I've ever seen. He had nothing good to say about this show. Even with the Prequels he found a few things he liked. At this point, Season 2's going to be worth it just to hear what he has to say about it.

Dubu Kimchi

kiwifarms.net
Holy fuck, that review was great.

I didn't watch Picard, because I heard it wasn't very good, and this review saved me the trouble. Did they actually have someone dropping multiple f-bombs? In Star Trek? That's almost as bad as it happening in Star Wars. Did they learn nothing from Data's "Oh shit" line in Generations?

I think everyone's right. This might be the most negative Plinkett review I've ever seen. He had nothing good to say about this show. Even with the Prequels he found a few things he liked. At this point, Season 2's going to be worth it just to hear what he has to say about it.

They started swearing in 'Discovery' its a sign of 'maturity' and 'how things really are in the military' according to the apologists.

Are the new Trek uniforms popular with the convention goers?

TheImportantFart

The Farter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They started swearing in 'Discovery' its a sign of 'maturity'
Only a nine year old who sniggers to themselves because they know a naughty word would think swearing is mature. Ask Torchwood how well dropping swear words every five minutes to sound more "adult" worked out. As Benjamin Cook said, it was like watching K-9 hump a lamppost.

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Only a nine year old who sniggers to themselves because they know a naughty word would think swearing is mature. Ask Torchwood how well dropping swear words every five minutes to sound more "adult" worked out. As Benjamin Cook said, it was like watching K-9 hump a lamppost.
Jogga dont get me started about fucking torchwood.....christ it really is saying something when the fact the series ended with a serial child rapist saving the world while cackling about how he was going to rape little girls forever in hell doesnt even enter the top five biggest reasons why its a fucking trainwreck

Honestly its one of those things that I look back on whenever I need to remind myself that the cancer we have seen devour so much of pop culture is older than the SJW shit it currently uses as a disguise, and that something can be utterly antithetical to SJW dogma while still being the laziest and most insultingly bad trash imaginable
kill-the-moon-3.jpg

- picture extremely fucking related -

Flexo

Drunk posting normal. Beware sober posting.
kiwifarms.net
Are the new Trek uniforms popular with the convention goers?
Last convention I went to I saw one couple there in the Discovery uniforms.

I saw one other person in a mirror universe uniform (complete with mirror universe tribble). So personal ancedote: discovery is only barely more popular than the mirror universe.

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Heard at least 1 defense that the swearing in Torchwood was intended as an indication of how crass and low the frontier folk at the time were. i.e. If you heard their speech, you wouldn't think so at the time, but if you were of that time, it would sound like a string of F-bombs.
Erm.....think you got your woods mixed up there

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Now: Older writers are dying off en masse, and the fanfic writers who cut their teeth on anime and MLP fanfics are are all grown up and taking their place. Writers are chosen more for what politics they espouse than for their skill at writing. They barely have any life experience to think of, apart from their college trip to Mexico (which they spent hunched over their smartphone, tweeting,) and their SJW activism.
This is in part why all of these "new" adventures in old franchises feel like the same nihilistic gray sludge, that's the best sort of storyline these kinds of writers can come up with. DARK, GRITTY, HIDDEN SECRETS, SHOCKING (but not really since it's been done so many times recently) PERSONAL CONNECTION TO AN ANTAGONIST, and so on.

Cast Iron Pan

First-generation son of Antarcticano refugees
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't Michael Chabon an acclaimed writer, though?
He's best known for 'The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay', which is the only work of his I've read. It was lauded so heavily I was expecting a lot, but it was one of the worst books I had read up until that point (later displaced by 'A Million Little Pieces' as my lowest of the lows, then later displaced by anything by Frederik Pohl). Maybe his other novels are better.

There's one thing that I wish Mike/Plikett had talked about is in regards of the "Captain" who had a creepy relationship with Riker's daughter, you know, the guy who texted back their daughter with the exact location of Soji's homeworld after she texted him a brief description of the place.

It's just Kurtzman and his writers having no idea of what they're doing. It's like when Riker says to JL that he is on "active reserve", I'm not a military guy but I've heard that it's not the right term.
It's quite unbelievable that they couldn't afford a military advisor or even a script supervisor.
He's been doing this so long, I think he knows exactly what he's doing.

Tags
None