Red Letter Media -

Flexo

Booze for every robot; a bullet for every human
kiwifarms.net
On the other hand, the author miscounted how old Shatner is. He's entering his tenth decade of life, not his ninth. Either Angry Intern fucked up, or Shatner can't count. Either is plausible.
Maybe a mix? Maybe the intern got a few quotes and bullet points from Shatner then ghost wrote the article with a bit of his own spice and flavoring? That would be my bet.
From what people told me hes heavy handed on race issues and doesnt really give a shit about Star Trek.
That is so weird considering this video:
That's strange to me because one recurring theme in the Star Trek interviews I've seen him do is Brooks' dismissive, even hostile attitude towards the media trying to talk about the struggles related to/the importance of his race. I haven't seen the recent DS9 documentary, which sounds like it went turbo-woke, but ignoring that the most I've seen him pander to that crowd is saying that he especially liked the prospect of playing a single dad as a role model for black men.
Avery was BARELY in the documentary.

Also not sure how much I would say the docu went "turbo-woke." There are some points, like when they admit they should have jumped on board the Bashir/Garak ship and there's a few turbo cringe points (the segment on women, the brief Trump clip) but compared to some standards we have now like Discovery or Picard, it didn't near crawl that far up its ass as some stuff has.

Dixieland Buckaroo

A 12-piece bucket o' trouble
kiwifarms.net
Maybe a mix? Maybe the intern got a few quotes and bullet points from Shatner then ghost wrote the article with a bit of his own spice and flavoring? That would be my bet.

That is so weird considering this video:

Avery was BARELY in the documentary.

Also not sure how much I would say the docu went "turbo-woke." There are some points, like when they admit they should have jumped on board the Bashir/Garak ship and there's a few turbo cringe points (the segment on women, the brief Trump clip) but compared to some standards we have now like Discovery or Picard, it didn't near crawl that far up its ass as some stuff has.
The only Avery bits was from footage from other places (cons, interviews, etc.). I don't think he consented to talk to What We Left Behind. Maybe his views have changed, but from what I've seen of him, he's pretty based. Avery definitely has strong views on race in America, but they didn't seem too irrational. That said, he's weird as a three dollar bill (as seen on The Captains).

That doc definitely had some [current year] trash in it, but agreed, it has nothing compared to current year star trek.

Flexo

kiwifarms.net
I dunno. What We Left Behind made me very happy that DS9 is off the air and never coming back. Their new ideas were absolutely horrible.
I dunno, I thought it had a lot of interesting potential. The most important thing is that it was a brainstorming session where you just throw out literally every idea and see what works. Refinement of it all would start after.

I mean I have NEVER seen a rough draft that wasn't horrible.

I would absolutely love to see a comparison of that writing session to a disc or picard writing room session.

rabo

Make it soy!
kiwifarms.net
As I said earlier I mostly hated how little he gave a fuck when he was at this captain's panel, I understand this is a job but if you agreed to turn up maybe don't be a huge vortex of energy around the other people, who, I might add, have been doing and putting up with these type of conventions far more than Avery ever did.

I didn't want him to dance and sing and stuff but give a minimal fuck, you're an actor, you can act like you wanna be there god damn it? People wanted to see Sisko, who ironically next to Kirk is the most bright and cheerful of the captain when he wants. I mean, yeah DS9 was dour as fuck for a lot of the show and we had Sisko brooding a lot over a lot of stuff. But when he was just off duty, with the crew, or especially with Jake, Sisko is one of the cheerful captains.

Just seeing him sit there not giving any shit was a bit disheartening.

Dixieland Buckaroo

A 12-piece bucket o' trouble
kiwifarms.net
As I said earlier I mostly hated how little he gave a fuck when he was at this captain's panel, I understand this is a job but if you agreed to turn up maybe don't be a huge vortex of energy around the other people, who, I might add, have been doing and putting up with these type of conventions far more than Avery ever did.

I didn't want him to dance and sing and stuff but give a minimal fuck, you're an actor, you can act like you wanna be there god damn it? People wanted to see Sisko, who ironically next to Kirk is the most bright and cheerful of the captain when he wants. I mean, yeah DS9 was dour as fuck for a lot of the show and we had Sisko brooding a lot over a lot of stuff. But when he was just off duty, with the crew, or especially with Jake, Sisko is one of the cheerful captains.

Just seeing him sit there not giving any shit was a bit disheartening.
Avery definitely does not give a shit about Sisko, at least these days. It was a job to him, one I think he took in part to be a father figure for a lot of young viewers missing a dad in their lives. He seems to be genuine in his buy-in to bettering mankind that classic trek represents. When he does reflect, he talks fondly of his colleagues and directing work on the show, especially when Far Beyond the Stars comes up.

But now I think he's a theater professor, and definitely plays up that role of avant-garde theater guy. Or maybe playing Sisko and Hawke was the act, and this is who he's always been.

ProblematicUser420

kiwifarms.net
Maybe I'm remebering wrong and they actually meant he wasn't heavy handed with race/SJW stuff?

I'll be honest I only know one other person in my life who is into Star Trek but I don't really know how he falls politically so maybe I just misunderstood. I know for sure he said Avery Brooks doesn't really care about Star Trek though, but he's a turbo trekkie so probably he does expect a song and dance from him about Trek lol.

Reactions: waffle

Flexo

kiwifarms.net
Maybe I'm remebering wrong and they actually meant he wasn't heavy handed with race/SJW stuff?

I'll be honest I only know one other person in my life who is into Star Trek but I don't really know how he falls politically so maybe I just misunderstood. I know for sure he said Avery Brooks doesn't really care about Star Trek though, but he's a turbo trekkie so probably he does expect a song and dance from him about Trek lol.
Now THAT I do believe.

Like... go onto Amazon and look for albums made by the trek captains. Shatner, Stewart...

They've got nothing on Brooks who has multiple, serious albums listed. I do think music a real life passion for Avery.

Last edited:

GeneralFriendliness

A.W. "Noa" Brimley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He was 100% correct with his Rise of Skywalker leaks. That's why I can't completely write him off.
A broken clock is right twice a day but I wouldn't use it to tell time.
All of Doomcock's personal "leaks" turned out to be wrong though, like the one about nuPalpatine in the movie just being a hologram. The ones he was right about though were already floating around way before his "insiders" told him about it. Many of the more accurate leaks were already on shitholes like reddit, SWinsider, 4chan, etc, some of which included valid pics and proof like nuPalpatine's retarded throne. Hell the movie's production was so fucked up that leaks for it were coming out a year before its release. So in short, Doomcock is full of it and his "insider sources" are full of it, which is a shame since I used to like the guy before he started doing this insider bullshit spew and focused more on news. Hell he was sorely behind the times on other products while others already covered it in full, like the stupid Disney Wars park at Hollywood Studios. And his newest claims like Favreu becoming head of Lucasfilm make even less sense and now he's claiming that George is coming back as head of LFL.

Last edited:

rabo

Make it soy!
kiwifarms.net
I feel sorry for them, doing a movie review show when there's no movies anymore is a bit of a problem. It was smart of them to diversify over time their content so they do have other stuff to fall back on. But I'm sure an episode of Half in the Bag is a lot easier for them to shoot than anything else if they don't have a skit or anything it's just Mike and Jay talking for a couple of hours with a few camera setup.

Best of the Worst is the most grueling one because they need to get other people together with them and pick movies and watch them the whole fucking day and talk about it. They way they put it an episode of BotW is a day's work for everybody there. You have to watch 3 movies, do intro, talk about them for 2 hours (edited down) and might have some outro crap to do. Factor in eating, breaks etc and these guys are getting up and preparing to shoot for the entire day.

So I think we can expect a lot more Re:View coming for now~ But they can't do too much of these because there's only so many classic they can talk about.

These are dire times for movie-content!

• Feels
Reactions: Draza and kobox666

Oglooger

Surfing the Kali Yuga, one kalpa at a time
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I feel sorry for them, doing a movie review show when there's no movies anymore is a bit of a problem. It was smart of them to diversify over time their content so they do have other stuff to fall back on. But I'm sure an episode of Half in the Bag is a lot easier for them to shoot than anything else if they don't have a skit or anything it's just Mike and Jay talking for a couple of hours with a few camera setup.

Best of the Worst is the most grueling one because they need to get other people together with them and pick movies and watch them the whole fucking day and talk about it. They way they put it an episode of BotW is a day's work for everybody there. You have to watch 3 movies, do intro, talk about them for 2 hours (edited down) and might have some outro crap to do. Factor in eating, breaks etc and these guys are getting up and preparing to shoot for the entire day.

So I think we can expect a lot more Re:View coming for now~ But they can't do too much of these because there's only so many classic they can talk about.

These are dire times for movie-content!
Maybe Plinkett can finally review the Twilight series or break new ground by comparing the Ben Hurr movies.

Tags
None