reddit General -

kpXV8f8W4YzKCiZL

kiwifarms.net
I have two major theories as to what actually caused reddit to grow shittier over time.
Ignoring the big picture for the moment (the worldwidesocjus revolution) I'm going to attempt to answer why reddit seemingly had a really hard time staving it off.

1) Edgelords use adblock

As a general rule the left-libertarian dudes who tended to be the majority of reddit ~2008-2012 were reasonably tech-savy and more importantly abhorred ads.
Many people point out that Reddit is now essentially an over-complicated marketing company, this meant that while the founders may have had genuinely good intent (which I doubt) they would still have little financial reason to support users like this.
I personally believe this spilled out into other areas, publishers switched woke not to "go broke" but to chase after the small amount of ad-revenue that could be gained from a less technically savvy audience that's less likely to use adblockers. I believe this is the mechanism that makes it not translate to other markets (Gillette).
This may be controversial but the social justice takover of reddit was a coordinated action. The "Fempire" (ShitRedditSays) was essentially the old againsthatesubbreddits.
This couldn't have gone unnoticed by the admins, and there were certainly accusations of admins participating but I hadn't come across any proof.

What is clear to me however is that they had a very solid incentive to "pick sides" when they had to make harder decisions.

2) Reddit tried to carry the torch 4chan passed it.

4chan created quite a legacy for itself of doing righteous raids all over the internet.This revealed how powerful regular people getting together to not only raise awareness but put very real pressure on people, organizations and institutions. Many subreddits tried to create similar enthusiasm to varying levels of success. Reddit had some advantages towards this kind of action in people could be more focused than you would find on the chans, but at the cost of it being much harder to get the ball rolling.
Those in power couldn't tolerate the proles on the internet getting uppity so I believe Reddit was explicitly targeted for a massive astroturfing overhaul.
I think it also explains why there hasn't been much of a "replacement Reddit" you can no longer create a site that stands against the progressive order without getting Gab'd.

The entire right/left fight online is only a small skirmish in the war on human liberty that is going on.
I really like the quote "World War III is a guerrila information war with no distinction between millitary and civilian". It seems to describe daily life more and more.
The opponents of this corporate-anarcho-tyranny will always be slandered so the hope of "winning the argument" on corporate controlled platforms is a joke.

Encourage your friends to leave Reddit, Facebook....ect there are alternatives, but with how things seem...there are real practical things we all need to do to prepare.

qu_rahn

kiwifarms.net
I have two major theories as to what actually caused reddit to grow shittier over time.
Ignoring the big picture for the moment (the worldwidesocjus revolution) I'm going to attempt to answer why reddit seemingly had a really hard time staving it off.

1) Edgelords use adblock

As a general rule the left-libertarian dudes who tended to be the majority of reddit ~2008-2012 were reasonably tech-savy and more importantly abhorred ads.
Many people point out that Reddit is now essentially an over-complicated marketing company, this meant that while the founders may have had genuinely good intent (which I doubt) they would still have little financial reason to support users like this.
I personally believe this spilled out into other areas, publishers switched woke not to "go broke" but to chase after the small amount of ad-revenue that could be gained from a less technically savvy audience that's less likely to use adblockers. I believe this is the mechanism that makes it not translate to other markets (Gillette).
This may be controversial but the social justice takover of reddit was a coordinated action. The "Fempire" (ShitRedditSays) was essentially the old againsthatesubbreddits.
This couldn't have gone unnoticed by the admins, and there were certainly accusations of admins participating but I hadn't come across any proof.

What is clear to me however is that they had a very solid incentive to "pick sides" when they had to make harder decisions.
The 150 mil from Tencent didn't hurt. But reddit was already gone by that point

Pointless Pedant

Waiting in queue for 2b2t
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But what do you mean, it's completely normal for a foreign company infamous for ties to a corrupt government to invest in international social media companies...

That said, the reddit I knew died around 2015-2017.
The 2016 election specifically. Steve Huffman was caught editing Trump supporter comments and from that point onwards his political bias became overt. After that progressively more political subreddits got banned or quarantined over the following years, with anything diverging too much from mainstream Democrat progressivism being shut down to try to maximise advertising revenue. This initially targeted the right but later also began to target the extreme left with CTH and gendercritical (which was left wing feminists who hated trannies).

People screeching about "normies" are missing the point here. The site went bad because the admins started interfering with the site's politics on a huge scale, not because some people used it who didn't have body odour.

Observotron

kiwifarms.net
wow you really held on to it
Honestly, at the time there was a lot to see and do, and it at least had the illusion of free speech. Not that I visited the more political subs, but for the most part they kept to themselves.

That's the thing though, I hear more about how bad those subs were more than I ever seen anything bad they did. It's kind of like The Last of Us 2, I hear about how much transphobes hate the game more than I see transphobes hate the game.

Fangsofjeff

♡ i like corn ♡
kiwifarms.net
To reddit feminist expats: lolcow.farm might be your cup of tea. It's very feminist and there are gender critical threads. There's also 9chan.tw where you could create a board.
If you ask me, the site died when homie necked himself because the feds wanted to lock his ass up for sharing fucking scientific journals. I just find it hilarious that cucks like chapo got the ax. All their cries to do away with people they don't like kinda blew up in their faces lol
Who necked himself now? I never heard about this.

Neanderthal Guru

kiwifarms.net
2015 was the last good year, already irretrievably fucked though. 2016 opened the soy floodgates with vote manipulation that just became accepted as long as it was for the "right" reasons
Mid-2015 was when they first implemented 'anti-harassment' rules that they kept incrementally making stricter. That was the most significant turning point in my view. Everything leading up to today was a slow evolution of those rules.

Forgetful Gynn

Respect for the truth is the basis of all morality
kiwifarms.net
Anything "anti-harassment" or "anti-hate" seems to invite perpetually coddled faggotry from the user base. Unless niggas be doxxing you and threatening to kill you, it aint harassment. And funnily enough, it's the progtards that do that over children saying "Guacamole nigga penis".
The whole concept of being against "hate" is retarded. How the fuck can you say you love something if you're not capable of hating anything that threatens it? You cannot have one without the other. Are they trying to tell us something about themselves?

Tags
reddit