reddit General -

2138_1255

kiwifarms.net
Searching up my pie chart of choice, the percentage of "HWHITE" globally looks to be 14-16% or so. It doesn't distinguish by age, but I'm betting once you move the "age slider" below 30-35 it'll go below 10%.

So; what's this "majority" BS?

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I personally believe this spilled out into other areas, publishers switched woke not to "go broke" but to chase after the small amount of ad-revenue that could be gained from a less technically savvy audience that's less likely to use adblockers.
The problem with this kind of thinking is that those users may not be the target audience for their ads, but they're usually opinion leaders in their own circle of friends, at least on Internet nerd issues, and they tell their boomer relatives and clueless friends where to go when they're cleaning the malware off their computers while visiting.

I love some of the banned ones. /r/rightwinglgbt

Basically "shut up FAG if we want your opinion we'll TELL YOU what it is."

Stuck in Corners

guuurrrl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So you're telling me, Reddit has finally dropped its charade and is standing firm with what the owners think politically. All of Silicon Valley is getting together to do everything to slam down Trump.
We're in the 4th quarter in a tie game with 15 seconds on the clock, baby! Consider this their attempt in trying to shoot for a hail Mary at the 50 yard line.

It's all or nothing for these tech companies this year. Everything has got to go to make sure they don't repeat 2016.

Last edited:

Ita Mori

Heh
kiwifarms.net
If you ask me, the site died when homie necked himself because the feds wanted to lock his ass up for sharing fucking scientific journals. I just find it hilarious that cucks like chapo got the ax. All their cries to do away with people they don't like kinda blew up in their faces lol
They will never understand that the cannons they demand shoot their rivals will shoot them right afterwards. Anything that strays from corporate democrat liberalism too far will get the boot. While the prole libs/cons are useful idiots for radicals, the elite corporate will never heed to the progressive mob. The biggest example is Bernie. You can shit on Drumpf and his bootlickers all you want, but you're not going to get to shit on my puppet or on my lawn, tankie.

LullerDerbyRollin

I have no mouth and I have only more to scream
kiwifarms.net
We're in the 4th quarter in a tie game with 15 seconds on the clock, baby! Consider this their attempt in trying to shoot for a hail Mary at the 50 yard line.

It's all or nothing for these tech companies this year. Everything has got to do to make sure they don't repeat 2016.
Oh good, seems you figured out just who I'm voting for. 'Cause these faggots sure stopped protecting me and have only further driven me into every closet I can find.

Fangsofjeff

♡ i like corn ♡
kiwifarms.net
I have two major theories as to what actually caused reddit to grow shittier over time.
Ignoring the big picture for the moment (the worldwidesocjus revolution) I'm going to attempt to answer why reddit seemingly had a really hard time staving it off.

1) Edgelords use adblock

As a general rule the left-libertarian dudes who tended to be the majority of reddit ~2008-2012 were reasonably tech-savy and more importantly abhorred ads.
Many people point out that Reddit is now essentially an over-complicated marketing company, this meant that while the founders may have had genuinely good intent (which I doubt) they would still have little financial reason to support users like this.
I personally believe this spilled out into other areas, publishers switched woke not to "go broke" but to chase after the small amount of ad-revenue that could be gained from a less technically savvy audience that's less likely to use adblockers. I believe this is the mechanism that makes it not translate to other markets (Gillette).
This may be controversial but the social justice takover of reddit was a coordinated action. The "Fempire" (ShitRedditSays) was essentially the old againsthatesubbreddits.
This couldn't have gone unnoticed by the admins, and there were certainly accusations of admins participating but I hadn't come across any proof.

What is clear to me however is that they had a very solid incentive to "pick sides" when they had to make harder decisions.

2) Reddit tried to carry the torch 4chan passed it.

4chan created quite a legacy for itself of doing righteous raids all over the internet.This revealed how powerful regular people getting together to not only raise awareness but put very real pressure on people, organizations and institutions. Many subreddits tried to create similar enthusiasm to varying levels of success. Reddit had some advantages towards this kind of action in people could be more focused than you would find on the chans, but at the cost of it being much harder to get the ball rolling.
Those in power couldn't tolerate the proles on the internet getting uppity so I believe Reddit was explicitly targeted for a massive astroturfing overhaul.
I think it also explains why there hasn't been much of a "replacement Reddit" you can no longer create a site that stands against the progressive order without getting Gab'd.

The entire right/left fight online is only a small skirmish in the war on human liberty that is going on.
I really like the quote "World War III is a guerrila information war with no distinction between millitary and civilian". It seems to describe daily life more and more.
The opponents of this corporate-anarcho-tyranny will always be slandered so the hope of "winning the argument" on corporate controlled platforms is a joke.

Encourage your friends to leave Reddit, Facebook....ect there are alternatives, but with how things seem...there are real practical things we all need to do to prepare.
What alternatives do you suggest?

HTTP Error 404

kiwifarms.net

kpXV8f8W4YzKCiZL

kiwifarms.net
What alternatives do you suggest?
The lazy answer is whatever option you can migrate your friends and family to that:
  • Is as private as possible (E2E encryption is a plus)
  • Ideally hosted by one or many of you
  • and is still interopable with other systems
I like ZeroNet but it's really hard to bring people there I kinda see it as the "Nuclear Option" for when things get worse than they are now.
This site actually has a matrix instance which actually helps things a lot. Ideally you would have a separate instance/account for shitposting and talking with your friends.
Activitypub is cool but ironically is very SJ dominated, there are other instances (Technically Gab is one, but I don't like how they handle Chat and other features)
I think someone here already brought up delta chat which is probably the easiest to get people to use, but right now Matrix is my jam.

kpXV8f8W4YzKCiZL

kiwifarms.net
I like ZeroNet but it's really hard to bring people there I kinda see it as the "Nuclear Option" for when things get worse than they are now.
This site actually has a matrix instance which actually helps things a lot. Ideally you would have a separate instance/account for shitposting and talking with your friends.
Activitypub is cool but ironically is very SJ dominated, there are other instances (Technically Gab is one, but I don't like how they handle Chat and other features)
I think someone here already brought up delta chat which is probably the easiest to get people to use, but right now Matrix is my jam.
I forgot to mention that Nextcloud is actually pretty good with it's plugin system.
It's got it's own (Nextcloud-based) federated chat with it's Talk app, and a activitypub plugin.
You can run most of these on with Docker, which is trivial to use on linux (I have trouble working with it on windows)

Fangsofjeff

♡ i like corn ♡
kiwifarms.net
The problem with this kind of thinking is that those users may not be the target audience for their ads, but they're usually opinion leaders in their own circle of friends, at least on Internet nerd issues, and they tell their boomer relatives and clueless friends where to go when they're cleaning the malware off their computers while visiting.

I love some of the banned ones. /r/rightwinglgbt

Basically "shut up FAG if we want your opinion we'll TELL YOU what it is."
It's been like that for a long time, lmao. Trannies took over nearly every single LGBT sub and made it all about them. After that, censorship in reddit LGBT communities started growing and growing like a fucking cancer.
The lazy answer is whatever option you can migrate your friends and family to that:
  • Is as private as possible (E2E encryption is a plus)
  • Ideally hosted by one or many of you
  • and is still interopable with other systems
Neat, I'll keep an eye on those sites. It's good to know about places that haven't been pozzed up yet. Thanks mate.

KingCoelacanth

Click here to change your title
kiwifarms.net
But those are communist countries. America is still capitalist.
If you can control what people see and what ideas are expressed, you control how they think. 95% of US media is owned by 6 corporations, and alternative media is steadily being taken over by hormone popping loyalists. Modern Russia isn't really communist by any stretch and you don't need communism to control what people see on tv, the radio, in the theater, etc.

Forgetful Gynn

Respect for the truth is the basis of all morality
kiwifarms.net
Indeed. Also note a lot of information activism died with him in general. Beyond sad its kind of pathetic, speaking of people in general. It also shows how one person can change the landscape.
And yet, creating reddit was probably one of the more harmful things to ever happen to the internet and the free exchange of ideas.

Tags
reddit