Culture Reddit, where chaos thrives, tries to clean up to attract ads from big brands - [Deleted]

Liber Pater

kiwifarms.net
it always seemed advertisers are wayyy too paranoid about their ads coming up on spicy content

when was the last time people boycotted something (and i mean successfully, not like posts about boycotting chick fil a while it continues to make money hand over fist) on those grounds?
people don't give a shit aslong as they get their sugary drinks or cheeseburgers or whatever other disgusting filth they spend their money on cramming into their fat fucking faces
That should be an indication that perhaps there are motivations at play other than boosting sales.

Elaboration:
"Corporate wokeness" in a more general sense can be attributed to 3 main causes (in my opinion):
1. The left has been successful with their "Long March Through the Institutions" (this and many of the other bizarre/frightening trends in modern leftist politics today can probably be traced back to Marcuse and Dutschke, although many people erroneously attribute their ideas to the entirety of the Frankfurt School, or simply "Cultural Marxism"). As a result, many companies are now filled with dogmatic leftists (even at high levels) who bring ideological considerations into nearly every significant decision. This usually happens more quickly at newer firms with younger leadership (i.e. tech firms), as universities/educational institutions appear to have been the main starting point of the Long March.
2. As a firm grows larger, it needs access to increasingly large amounts of investment capital. This usually requires making itself attractive to large investment entities (and, by extension, the people who manage said investment entities). Thus, the phenomenon of "Woke Capital" necessarily results in some degree of wokeness at the firms who depend on Woke Capital. The situation with payment processors is similar, as market concentration in that industry ensures that many companies are highly dependent on one of a handful of (usually woke) processors in order to do business.
The existence of Woke Capital (or Woke Finance more generally) can be seen either as an outgrowth of Reason #1, Reason #3 (below), or (if you prefer) any number of conspiracy theories that you have probably already heard in some form or another.
3. As companies grow larger, they tend to grow more risk averse. This is the mechanism by which (in theory) smaller, newer, more risk-tolerant and innovative firms can "disrupt" industries dominated by lumbering, entrenched firms that are too cautious to innovate. This is especially true for publicly-traded companies, who have to worry about the fickleness of the stock exchange. Because regulatory/legislative changes are a major and recurring source of potential uncertainty (the government's agenda changes every few years due to elections), a firm pursuing a risk-averse strategy would want to minimize the risk of unfavorable regulatory action (as opposed to the risk-tolerant strategy of maximizing the chances of favorable regulatory action).
Most big companies are far more threatened by left-wing electoral victory than by right-wing electoral victory, so minimizing risk would involve trying to stay on the good side of leftist political decision-makers in order to (hopefully) stave off unwelcome regulatory action. In fact, most companies have traditionally taken it for granted that they will benefit from right-wing policies (regardless of how said companies behave) so they see no reason to appease conservatives in the same way that they bend over backwards for leftists.

Last edited:

Coleslaw

kiwifarms.net
The one thing I learned the past couple years is that you cannot be 99% on an SJW's side.

If you are favor of transgender rights and donate money to their causes and march in parades and this and that, but you think maybe there's a chance convicted rapists could be lying about their identities to get close to potential victims, you are just as bad as a lifelong KKK member. Heck, sometimes they consider you WORSE for being a fake ally or someone who "should know better." At least the KKK is honest about their intentions in their eyes but you are deceitful as well as hateful.

Look how often they eat each other in a contest of who belongs to the most oppressed group.

Hell, here's a video from the other day from a black trans group demanding apologies from a white trans group, and when a white trans woman who legit didn't do anything actually stood up to apologize, the black trans woman then berated the white trans woman for not apologizing well enough.

Cue the joke about a guy pushing another guy who lives on a different street down into the water.

The 8 of Spades

Pay No Attention To The ♂ Behind The Glassy Smirk
kiwifarms.net
I mod a subreddit. Well, at the point I more or less just show up and make sure it's running because Reddit is shit. It's absolutely terrible dealing with the fucking reports, I've told people to stop wasting their time reporting things because it's seriously insane. Every single thing is THREATENING VIOLENCE or some other bullshit and you look at the comment and it's some innocuous statement like "no, I'd punch the clown before he killed me" or something.

They don't stop. It's like the only reason they show up is to find things to report. I've made it very clear that I'm not removing comments period, none of the other mods are going to blank shit cause it hurts your feelings, handle it yourselves. Nope. These faggots need daddy 8 to come and save them from the bad thoughts. I guarantee the only reason I haven't been shuffled off the platform for not being a censorious little bitch is because I don't deal with anything political. If it was, I'd have been replaced with a troon by now.

Reddit is a walking corpse and they haven't realized it yet. It's obvious to anyone who uses, used, or just looks at the site. It's stagnant and filled with AstroTurf, screaming idiots, and now they want to sanitize what's been wiped with Lysol already? Digg v5 here we go. No clue where they're going to go but it's coming.

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
kiwifarms.net
No clue where they're going to go but it's coming.
The purity spiral.

Start with a rainbow, but the warm colors look threatening

So you ban the warm colors, but now that makes Green the "warmest" cool remaining, ban green!

So you ban green, now, compared to purple, blue is obviously warmer, there's still a threat! Ban blue!

So you ban blue, now, it's only purple, right? Nope, see this pixel here that looks to be just a bit brighter than the rest? A hidden warm color! Ban it!

So you ban that, we're okay now? Nope! See all those purple pixels? Well, they're RIGHT NEXT TO WHERE THAT FAKE-PURPLE ONE WAS! They probably supported it and are now planning revenge for their buddy being cast out, GET THEM!

And on and on it goes until the last two bits of purple are demanding the OTHER one be cast out as they are the only "One True Color"

Once you make your first subjective ideology-based ban, you can never stop, the first person cast out for being "too radical" means you have sown your own destruction, you have planted the seed of the everliving purity vine, all that matters now is how long it has to germinate before it rises up and gets you and everything else, for it only lives to devour that which is not like it. And even then, when it covers the land completely, it will attack itself.

Last edited:

Manwithn0n0men

kiwifarms.net
That should be an indication that perhaps there are motivations at play other than boosting sales.

go dive into this

Choke point is an interesting term. The government’s controversial Operation Choke Point program — which sought to investigate banks doing business with gun dealers, payday lenders and other “higher risk” companies — may have ceased with the Obama administration, but it appears that efforts to use banks as a lever for broader social change are just getting underway.

Nykysnottrans

Repeat after me: I am beautiful.
kiwifarms.net
The quote function is not working for me for some reason so I'm gonna do it like this:

the 35-year-old co-founder is now trying to clean up the edgy website known for provocative discussions and fringe groups, while revamping its advertising offering in a bid to woo big brands and move toward profitability.
Oh really? They're making Reddit more respectable? Let's look at how respectable:

MedicalGoreRedditAssNetwork.jpg

Hellooo advertisers and welcome to Reddit!

As part of his pitch, he cites a unique audience that tends toward millennials and Generation Z: according to Comscore data from 2018, 17% of Reddit’s users do not use Facebook, 28% are not on Twitter and 43% do not have Snapchat.
Those 28% who are not on Twitter are very likely Twitter refugees who left Twitter or got suspended when Twitter went full SJW.

Reddit now has a human-approved “whitelist” of communities that are deemed safe, while advertisers can also opt for “negative targeting” — requesting that their content not appear near a certain keyword, for example.
What he doesn't say is that Reddit also has a secret blacklist, and that blacklist is derived from Nathan Beam's Masstagger, which is entirely based on Nathan Beam's own extremely far left SJW ideas of who qualifies as a far right Natsee on Reddit. Nathan Beam has classified lesbians, feminists, Pewdiepie fans and even Magic The Gathering card players as far right Natsees. Nathan's private blacklist has become Reddit's general blocklist. (Nathan Beam, for those of you who don't know, is a former GamerGater turned Born-again SJW.)

More broadly, Reddit is looking to clean up its content by investing in a combination of machine learning tools that recognize suspicious or badly behaved accounts, working together with human moderators who oversee the entire site, Huffman said. It also relies on moderators who are not employees to set standards and monitor individual forums.
I.e. they are using Masstagger and letting Nathan Beam tell them who to ban. Thousands of Reddit subs and millions of Reddit users are now at risk of being tagged as far right Natsee subs because they're not up to Nathan's SJW standards.

Others remain wary until the company becomes more transparent. One potential investor said that they were close to putting money into the group but opted not to after it would not share even the most basic metrics, such as revenue.

Advertisers, too, have voiced surprise over the lack of financial disclosure and acknowledged that it is in the early days of its maturation.
So the whole scare mongering about Reddit becoming a clone of Stormfront is nothing but a distraction from the fact that Reddit can't be bothered to provide potential investors with the hard financial data they need. Maybe if Reddit spend more time addressing their investors' actual conerns (which are financial) instead of creating and enforcing SJW blacklists they'd do better.

The latest Reddit purge is all the fault of The League of Extraordinary Trolls, Reddit's resident SJW vigilantes. One of the founders of The League of Extraordinary Trolls, a transwoman called Ianna Drew Urquhart aka /u/drewiepoodle, was invited to Reddit's HQ last year to indoctrinate their devs and admins with SJW cult dogma. We are now seeing the outcome of that SJW brainwashing session:

One of the former members of The League of Extraordinary Trolls was the notorious moderator of /r/watchpeopledie, an elderly alcoholic by the name of /r/T_dumbsford You can see him front left in this picture: https://twitter.com/drewiepoodle/status/1025455503785316357

He trooned out under the influence of his fellow League Trolls and against the explicit advice of his doctors. He died within a year of starting HRT. The following was posted to Reddit detailing his sad story but it got deleted to cover up.

TheSadCaseOfPennyOaken.jpg

These SJW vigilantes are now allowed to run rampant on Reddit censoring everything and everyone. A bunch of psychiatric patients and alcoholics are allowed to dictate public discourse on Reddit. /u/drewiepoodle is the most respectable of the bunch because he seems to have it the most together and works professionally as a nurse, but he recruits all these other crazies to do his bidding for him.

Sperghetti

#waxmymeatballs
kiwifarms.net
I think it's because the board of directors are usually filled with really old people and those old people still think it's back-in-the-day where public outrage actually meant something. They're just not with the times and don't understand that exceptional individuals will go on the internet and whine about anything and everything.
I've honestly seen some small and medium-sized businesses implement policies that screw themselves over because the people who run them don't understand that 90% of their complaints come from customers who are either crazy, exceptional, or both.

It also doesn't help that there's been a huge trend in recent years for companies to present themselves as being "ethical", and brag about how much they care about social causes and how much they give to charities. Caving in to lunatics ranting about some social issue just goes with that fake "we're totally not a soulless mega-corporation concerned only with profit" image they're trying to cultivate.

moocow

Moo.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reddit really disappoints me. It was a neat idea (the format/layout of its discussions is unique among forum software (besides Voat, lol) as far as I know) but today it's infested by deviants and obsessed with censoring conservatives, so naturally it's gone to complete shit. I honestly think the only new development work that's been done on the software itself in the last few years has been adding censorship features and tweaking their ad platform.

It doesn't surprise me to see the media both ignoring the deviants and complaining that it's not being censored enough either. They're enemies of free speech too, and I'm sure they have more than their fair share of deviants among their ranks.

1. The left has been successful with their "Long March Through the Institutions"
Any management course at an undergraduate level is going to be full of union and diversity propaganda.

those old people still think it's back-in-the-day where public outrage actually meant something
I know somebody who made a TV advertisement for a franchise which was taken down by corporate after 3 months because of a single complaint by an out-of-state traveller.

Nykysnottrans

kiwifarms.net
Is no one concerned that Redit's push to become a better place and more advertiser friendly, comes hot on the heels of getting $300 million from a Chinese Government linked shell company? Tencent?
Could their COO have something to do with it?

This is Jen Wong, Reddit's COO:

Feel free to contact her and let her know how you feel about The League of Extraordinary Trolls data-mining you and cyberstalking you and your online associates over which subs you choose to participate in.

Highlight: "Our politics is on fire — no surprise," @Reddit COO @onewong says about the different political threads on Reddit. Talks about the differing points of view on the website. Full comments:
Here's an example of a Reddit AMA where Reddit just today was platforming one of the mainstream media fear/smear merchants that are trying to ruin Reddit with their alarmist SJW bullshit:

Posted byu/A_Marantz 1 hour ago

I spent the past three years embedded with internet trolls and propagandists in order to write a new nonfiction book, ANTISOCIAL, about how the internet is breaking our society. I also spent a lot of time reporting from Reddit's HQ in San Francisco. AMA!
Journalist-Live
Hi! My name is Andrew Marantz. I’m a staff writer for the New Yorker, and today my first book is out: ANTISOCIAL: Online Extremists, Techno-Utopians, and the Hijacking of the American Conversation. For the last several years, I’ve been embedded in two very different worlds while researching this story. The first is the world of social-media entrepreneurs—the new gatekeepers of Silicon Valley—who upended all traditional means of receiving and transmitting information with little forethought, but tons of reckless ambition. The second is the world of the gate-crashers—the conspiracists, white supremacists, and nihilist trolls who have become experts at using social media to advance their corrosive agenda. ANTISOCIAL is my attempt to weave together these two worlds to create a portrait of today’s America—online and IRL. AMA!

Check out this comment:

Actually a lot of the most interesting stuff happened while I was embedded at the headquarters of Reddit itself! A lot of the biggest social media companies, including Reddit, were founded by people who were very idealistic (even utopian, to quote the subtitle) about what would happen if they redistributed the power of information as broadly and freely as possible. Those idealistic expectations didn't really come to pass, to say the least. So seeing them cope with that in real time was fascinating. After Charlottesville, I was in the room while Reddit admins banned over 100 subreddits -- Nazi subs, bestiality subs -- to try to make the atmosphere on Reddit less toxic. It wasn't perfect, it was messy and subjective, but I think you could pretty easily argue that it was better than nothing...and yet I had a lot of conflicting reactions while sitting in that room.

Why did he have "conflicting reactions" about Reddit deleting 100 subs in his presence? Isn't that exactly what he wanted them to do? Isn't that exactly why he was working from their HQ, effectively working with Reddit to achieve exactly that aim?

So there you have it: Reddit is enabling the very people that want to censor Reddit. In the name of "We are doing something about the Natsees.". In this comment he talks about how he suckered high profile alt-right figures into letting him into their lives (not a huge achievement, as a lot of them where just narcissistic media whore attention-seekers):

A_Marantz 4 points

I visited all the terrible places online, but I was mostly interested in meeting people in real life. The channers are what they are, and they're important to understand, but they're mostly anonymous. I gave preference to people who were courageous enough, or foolish enough, to let me meet them IRL and observe as they lived their daily lives.

Check out the Twitter thread in response to that Reddit AMA too, Cassandra Fairbanks is in there claiming he's lying about her in his book, calling it "analogue clickbait":

Daughter of Cernunnos

Lolifags belong in bodybags.
kiwifarms.net
The quote function is not working for me for some reason so I'm gonna do it like this:

Oh really? They're making Reddit more respectable? Let's look at how respectable:

View attachment 963647

Hellooo advertisers and welcome to Reddit!

Those 28% who are not on Twitter are very likely Twitter refugees who left Twitter or got suspended when Twitter went full SJW.

What he doesn't say is that Reddit also has a secret blacklist, and that blacklist is derived from Nathan Beam's Masstagger, which is entirely based on Nathan Beam's own extremely far left SJW ideas of who qualifies as a far right Natsee on Reddit. Nathan Beam has classified lesbians, feminists, Pewdiepie fans and even Magic The Gathering card players as far right Natsees. Nathan's private blacklist has become Reddit's general blocklist. (Nathan Beam, for those of you who don't know, is a former GamerGater turned Born-again SJW.)

I.e. they are using Masstagger and letting Nathan Beam tell them who to ban. Thousands of Reddit subs and millions of Reddit users are now at risk of being tagged as far right Natsee subs because they're not up to Nathan's SJW standards.

So the whole scare mongering about Reddit becoming a clone of Stormfront is nothing but a distraction from the fact that Reddit can't be bothered to provide potential investors with the hard financial data they need. Maybe if Reddit spend more time addressing their investors' actual conerns (which are financial) instead of creating and enforcing SJW blacklists they'd do better.

The latest Reddit purge is all the fault of The League of Extraordinary Trolls, Reddit's resident SJW vigilantes. One of the founders of The League of Extraordinary Trolls, a transwoman called Ianna Drew Urquhart aka /u/drewiepoodle, was invited to Reddit's HQ last year to indoctrinate their devs and admins with SJW cult dogma. We are now seeing the outcome of that SJW brainwashing session:

One of the former members of The League of Extraordinary Trolls was the notorious moderator of /r/watchpeopledie, an elderly alcoholic by the name of /r/T_dumbsford You can see him front left in this picture: https://twitter.com/drewiepoodle/status/1025455503785316357

He trooned out under the influence of his fellow League Trolls and against the explicit advice of his doctors. He died within a year of starting HRT. The following was posted to Reddit detailing his sad story but it got deleted to cover up.

View attachment 963665

These SJW vigilantes are now allowed to run rampant on Reddit censoring everything and everyone. A bunch of psychiatric patients and alcoholics are allowed to dictate public discourse on Reddit. /u/drewiepoodle is the most respectable of the bunch because he seems to have it the most together and works professionally as a nurse, but he recruits all these other crazies to do his bidding for him.
These reddit posts titles are hilarious. I'm dying!
1570580912922.png

Also:
dr. told me i'll shit my liver out my ass
:lit:
1570581055934.png

Nykysnottrans

kiwifarms.net
It was only a matter of time: someone has created an open source Masstagger, the browser extention that SJW vigilantes on Reddit use to cyberstalk and smear anyone who isn't sufficiently SJW in their eyes:

OpenTagger is an AGPL recreation of masstagger, meant to have many uses.

The GNU Affero General Public License is a free, copyleft license published by the Free Software Foundation in November 2007, and based on the GNU General Public License, version 3 and the Affero General Public License.
I finally got off my ass and made OpenTagger work! It is available for Firefox and Chrome (might not work on chrome).

This is a completely open source version of MassTagger, but without stolen and reverse engineered code!
It has some of the same drawbacks as MassTagger, such as the fact that it isn't instant (unless the user has already been tagged recently)

Report any bugs in the comments please! <3

Edit: There's a lot of tagged subs now. To see all the tagged subs and what category they're in, go here: https://opentagger.steamport.xyz/sets. If you use Firefox, it should automatically be displayed into a readable format.

If you know programming go here and follow the flamewar between Masstagger's Nathan Beam (posting as /u/morpen) and the creator of OpenTagger, because there is nothing more beautiful than two pissed off programmers slinging tech babble at eachother:

LecturingNathanBeamMasstaggerOnEqualityUnderLaw.jpg

NathanBeamCertifiedSJWLearn2Code.jpg

"The SJWs can code", that's rich coming from someone who's software is closed architecture. Show your work Nathan, you hypocrite. You uploaded your hangman code to Github, show us the rest.

Note: please do not use MassTagger or OpenTagger if you are European as both appear to violate the GDPR and other EU laws. I am posting about this incident to show how technocratic authoritarian SJWs on Reddit codifying their SJW bullshit through censorware such as Masstagger - that then becomes like a parasitical coathanger existing alongside Reddit's visible system - inevitably results in such a digital arms race.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
I've honestly seen some small and medium-sized businesses implement policies that screw themselves over because the people who run them don't understand that 90% of their complaints come from customers who are either crazy, exceptional, or both.

It also doesn't help that there's been a huge trend in recent years for companies to present themselves as being "ethical", and brag about how much they care about social causes and how much they give to charities. Caving in to lunatics ranting about some social issue just goes with that fake "we're totally not a soulless mega-corporation concerned only with profit" image they're trying to cultivate.
Anyone who has ever worked in a public-facing job knows that 5% of customers create 95% of the grief. These idiots can't even take their business elsewhere, because they have or will pull the same shit there too. Yet time after time corporations cave to them and roll out the red carpet instead of finding a way to sweep them under the rug. But caving to tiny minorities, be it some rich asshole, troons, or the Chinese Communist Party, seems sadly common elsewhere in society today.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino