Regarding the apparent and imminent repeal of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act and the future of this website. -

• Emails (registration / password reset) appear to be working; be sure to check spam.

Desktop User2

kiwifarms.net
Trump has now secured a vote on $2000 covid aid checks, but he has also secured a vote to repeal Section 230. Democrats want to keep the two votes separate. Republicans want to somehow tie them together. They are different issues and they need to stay separated.
They want the votes tied because they know it won´t pass. Democrats want to tease a fast vote because of the senate runoff elections but they know they will get into power and how the deficit hole could swallow their gov so it´s all smoke and mirrors for all but a minority of ideologues. You won´t get your fat nigga checks, maybe a compromise in 1k.

The Final Troondown

Yo Mama Gave Me Informed Consent
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't a decent part of the reason Trump won in 2016 was because he wasn't at all PC and was appealing to a lot of people on the net in places like here and 4chan? Isn't he biting one of the hands that feed him by trying to fuck over internet freedoms?
Not really
The internet trump train are vocal but they’re a tiny part of his support
His base largely consists of evangelicals and former blue collar workers which is why he pushes the abortion issue so hard
He’s a neocon with a few flashy additions but he’s still beholden to the neocon base

he’ll likely have support on this because both sides of congress have their bread buttered on business as usual and any kind of upstart movement threatens business as usual
There’s not a candidate in either house who isn’t backed by the wall st & Madison ave dynasty and those powers that be really want their monopoly on speech back

Last edited:

Menotaur

kiwifarms.net
He signed it cause he was told he is never fucking getting Section 230 repelled.

Period. Sentence. Paragraph.

I admire his attempt to destroy something else though, it was a nice enough try.

I look more forward to the power struggle between Mitch and Trump over the coming 4 years. Mitch is the greatest cunt to ever serve as a politician and I hate him - but the man knows his craft well and I don't give Trump much of a chance.

AltisticRight

Free 🌽 202 E 37th St VA, Richmond, 901-922-9912
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How the fuck does 230 make it impossible to bring 5G and bring the troops back home? How exactly is it a gift to China or Russia, two countries where the platform is absolutely held accountable for whatever the user spews? He's using the same argument China uses to implement a firewall where people are blocked from accessing various websites outside of the country.

Your nation isn't vulnerable because ChiCom wumao accounts called you 川建國 or Jack Dorsey labelled your tweets advocating for a Tiananmen Square event on local soil "you're a faggot and we would have deleted your Tweet but you're also the president" amid ANTIFA cunts and chimpouts.

Twitter already label official Russian, American, Chinese, and British accounts with a tag and relevant information. What else do you fucking want? What a manchild.

Many would cite their hatred of Facebook and Twitter, and I resonate with all the arguments. However, just remember one thing. Facebook, Google, and Twitter have trillions, they can hire a bunch of people to moderate speech, or create automated flagging systems. They have the money and power to get the best lawyers. Without 230, a competing social media platform will be absolutely fucked. This is essentially homosexual market protectionism that will only benefit, and further expand the biggest platforms' reach.

If anyone wants to argue that 230 shouldn't protect the biggest platforms, that's just dumb. By market share, none of these companies are "big enough". Collectively, they are. Such a law can't be implemented and will once again fuck over any smaller social media platforms, because in their eyes, "if you succeed, you'll get fucked big time". Apps like Snapchat and Vine were market dominant at one time and I doubt they have the money to deal with a slew of frivolous lolsuits or would even reach the status without 230.

A law that lets me call someone a nigger chink spik faggot online should be Eternal. You don't like 230? What's your problem with capitalism? Move to Cuba, organgenigger.

Girlboy69

Debut TBA
kiwifarms.net
Was there any reaction from tech giants?
They have the means to defend themselves at least, they are likely less worried. I would assume repealing 230 means smaller communities close down and their members flock to Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. Which is good for clicks but bad once they realize they have "problematic" people who can get them sued repeatedly now flooding their platform.

Unless I misunderstood 230. Basically it does the opposite of what Trump says it will do.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They have the means to defend themselves at least, they are likely less worried.
This will still affect them. Between wasting a ton of money on lawyers and/or purging anything remotely offensive (it's on the both sides, meaning "still can be taken to court") or keeping things the same, they will likely prefer the latter. If threat is real, they are bound to react somehow, unless they know something, that we don't.

AnOminous

i will eat your fucking soul
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
This will still affect them. Between wasting a ton of money on lawyers and/or purging anything remotely offensive (it's on the both sides, meaning "still can be taken to court") or keeping things the same, they will likely prefer the latter. If threat is real, they are bound to react somehow, unless they know something, that we don't.
I look forward to Congressvermin who people don't like getting Twitter sued. If every politician they have on there gets them constantly sued they're getting rid of that shit, or putting an indemnification agreement into their TOS so if you get them sued, you owe them their legal fees. These fuckers will pay for this if they do it.

Girlboy69

Debut TBA
kiwifarms.net
Twitter should be worried considering all the "All Trump supporters are child rapists who should die!" People on there and the fact that there are 400 cases of allegations being thrown around on there every hour of every day. I wouldn't say good things wouldn't come from repealing Section 230, but they definitely aren't worth what we have to give up.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I look forward to Congressvermin who people don't like getting Twitter sued. If every politician they have on there gets them constantly sued they're getting rid of that shit, or putting an indemnification agreement into their TOS so if you get them sued, you owe them their legal fees. These fuckers will pay for this if they do it.
Twitter should be worried considering all the "All Trump supporters are child rapists who should die!" People on there and the fact that there are 400 cases of allegations being thrown around on there every hour of every day. I wouldn't say good things wouldn't come from repealing Section 230, but they definitely aren't worth what we have to give up.
That's what I'm talking about - they should realize all the seriousness of the situation, because repealing of 230 benefits no one and I don't think something like this can happen without some negotiations in the background, so if the repealing is really imminent, then they would react somehow. Otherwise either there is still no concrete answer and bargaining is still going or they know Trump is full of shit.

Girlboy69

Debut TBA
kiwifarms.net
I saw a Trump supporter on Twitter last night echoing "REPEAL SECTION 230" and I didn't feel like wading through Karen to find it but I'd almost guarantee that she has tweeted about not wearing masks. All someone has to do is claim that they took her advice and that's why they got sick and they could sue Twitter, which would get these people banned. Lindsey Graham would get them sued and he's championing it. Honestly, if I were Graham, I'd just come out and say I'm gay rather than let Trump blackmail him with that knowledge..which is my tinfoil hat opinion on why Graham worships Trump.

Graham isn't completely stupid, he's afraid of losing his career.

hundredpercent

kiwifarms.net
They already have indemnification, no? It will still force KYC on them.

AnOminous

True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
They already have indemnification, no? It will still force KYC on them.
I don't know if they've actually used it for bullshit little claims that get smacked down with 230 currently. If it started costing them six figures every time they wouldn't be able to afford not to try to get it back, especially from millionaires like most of Congress.

hundredpercent

kiwifarms.net
I don't know if they've actually used it for bullshit little claims that get smacked down with 230 currently. If it started costing them six figures every time they wouldn't be able to afford not to try to get it back, especially from millionaires like most of Congress.
Am I correct in guessing that this would cause them to ban all unidentified accounts, and check their users' credit score?

If they're judgement-proof, Twitter will have to pay, and if they're unidentified, Twitter will also have to pay. So you'd have to prove you could afford the costs arising out of your shitposting.

AnOminous

True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Am I correct in guessing that this would cause them to ban all unidentified accounts, and check their users' credit score?

If they're judgement-proof, Twitter will have to pay, and if they're unidentified, Twitter will also have to pay. So you'd have to prove you could afford the costs arising out of your shitposting.
Something like that could be necessary. Courts would have to spend the next 30 years working out doctrines for dealing with it much as they did with 230 and it would be a gigantic mess in the meantime. Probably America would lose its dominance over the Internet and our economy would be wrecked but I guess Trump doesn't care so long as he gets his butthurt soothed.

X Prime

The Doubly Derivative
kiwifarms.net
Something like that could be necessary. Courts would have to spend the next 30 years working out doctrines for dealing with it much as they did with 230 and it would be a gigantic mess in the meantime. Probably America would lose its dominance over the Internet and our economy would be wrecked but I guess Trump doesn't care so long as he gets his butthurt soothed.
It's a bit late to be upset about America losing its dominance over the Internet after, for example, Obama gave away IANA.

Rustled Jimmies

I'm the Keytar'd Retard
kiwifarms.net
So basically the same as most other presidents.
Obama didn't threaten to build a wall to keep evil Mexicans out. Because it was a dumbfuck idea to begin with. People are supposed to live their lives off a $600 stimulus and he wanted to blow money on a wall saying Mexico would pay for it.

If 2020 has proven anything it's that Americans are Americans' worst enemies. You got the blacks fighting against the whites for equal rights in the eyes of law enforcement, you got democrats fighting republicans over which senile old man is better. Immigrants aren't the reason for the country being fucked up.

He just said all that stuff to fearmonger people into voting for him. Now he is pulling the same tactic out of office saying boogeymen rigged the election, same process that put him in office but this time it's a conspiracy.