Regarding the apparent and imminent repeal of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act and the future of this website.

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Distant Stare

Orbital Drop Shock Troopers
kiwifarms.net
I WANT EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS FORUM
OFF
THE
INTERNET

Capture.JPG

If 230 is no more, can Chris sue YouTube for giving a platform to trolls?

ConfederateIrishman

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean, a massively unpopular President that lost is basically asking Congress: "Please throw the entire internet into chaos because I'm a little fucking bitch." That simply is not going to happen. Reform is more likely. Congress isn't going to scramble for a guy that needs to win 3 states in less than 2 weeks with 0 legal victories.

What I wouldn't be surprised about is basically everyone supports the bill, it gets a veto proof majority and Trump gets fucked.
The problem is the opposition would love to sign it for different reasons, so they give Trump support on this and only this so the retard hangs himself on his own rope.

Arm Pit Cream

5%er, Jupiterian Philosopher, Anglophobe, CSIS
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
While its not hyperbolic, I think you're overstating the likelihood of it getting in:

While he's being a retarded, reactionary faggot as per usual, there's simply not enough time for it to get done. That's a gigantic ask of a traditionally non-partisan bill. Not to mention, when his legal challenges fail, there's not going to be anything he can do and he has nothing to leverage Congress with. I mean, we're assuming the GOP cucks and basically just writes in "230 is gone lolz". The government just isn't capable of drafting that sort of legislation within a month, let alone as a rider on a non-partisan bill. These are the last death throws of a faggot that lost.

And while Biden wants to repeal 230 as well, he won't have a big enough mandate and it'll take a backseat.
I fully agree with this, I don't think in this lame duck session with so little occurring that somehow Section 230 will take precedent over other bills or other legislation. For Biden, he'll obviously fuck with it in some sort of way in the coming years, but with Corona and the implications of section 230, I find it very hard to believe they'll press forward on such a nebulous policy when there's far more pressing concerns. Shit will hit the fan at some point, but it seems far more of a distant problem with Biden in office. A large reason why Trump likely wanted section 230 repealed was cause he had telecom companies talking in his ear and begging for a sweetheart deal, while wanting to bring the pressure to "big tech".
When Biden mentions section 230, it's always in the context of Facebook or bigger social media sites too, so I'm not sure his personal view on smaller social media websites or the additional protections he might grant them over bigger ones. It's clear that internet policy isn't a 70yo+ man's strong suit and that's for the betterment of everybody.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
Why can't the boomers just leave the internet alone?
Boomers hate technology and have little to zero patience with it. It's a well known proven fact.

I've lost count as to how many times in my current and past jobs I've dealt with women in their 50's/60's who'm even after explaining anything computer related slowly and carefully to them to where a retarded monkey could fucking figure it out, it still doesn't click for them.

Manhog

kiwifarms.net
I fully agree with this, I don't think in this lame duck session with so little occurring that somehow Section 230 will take precedent over other bills or other legislation. For Biden, he'll obviously fuck with it in some sort of way in the coming years, but with Corona and the implications of section 230, I find it very hard to believe they'll press forward on such a nebulous policy when there's far more pressing concerns. Shit will hit the fan at some point, but it seems far more of a distant problem with Biden in office. A large reason why Trump likely wanted section 230 repealed was cause he had telecom companies talking in his ear and begging for a sweetheart deal, while wanting to bring the pressure to "big tech".
When Biden mentions section 230, it's always in the context of Facebook or bigger social media sites too, so I'm not sure his personal view on smaller social media websites or the additional protections he might grant them over bigger ones. It's clear that internet policy isn't a 70yo+ man's strong suit and that's for the betterment of everybody.
Josh is using this as an excuse to escape and troon out in peace

Arma Rex

Literally Hitler
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This honestly just seems like him wanting to get away from everything and try to start a life. The problem is Josh is awkward and will still have the same issues he did while running the site.
Maybe so. Personally, if that's his goal, I hope he goes for it. He's dedicated a shit ton of his life on this website, with little payoff.

Dutch Courage

Curious Onlooker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I shudder to think of all the delirious crowing a whole raft of lolcows will be doing once this place closes down. At least until they see their viewership numbers collapse.

Do what you gotta do with the site; your life has to come first. Glad we had it as long as we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.