Law Representatove Eric Swalwell (D-CA) introduces bill to make “attacks on journalists” a federal crime - California man still mad about wrestling gif

Cosmug

Gay Niggers from Ultra Space
kiwifarms.net
Three Democratic lawmakers reintroduced a Journalist Protection Act that intends to designate "certain attacks on those reporting the news" as a federal crime.

The bill was introduced by Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.), Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.).

It was originally introduced by Swalwell in February 2018 when the House was under Republican control. Democrats officially took back the House this January.

"The Journalist Protection Act makes it a federal crime to intentionally cause bodily injury to a journalist affecting interstate or foreign commerce in the course of reporting or in a manner designed to intimidate him or her from newsgathering for a media organization," reads the Tuesday press release. "It represents a clear statement that assaults against people engaged in reporting is unacceptable, and helps ensure law enforcement is able to punish those who interfere with newsgathering."

The lawmakers said they were introducing the bill as a response to President Trump's "climate of extreme hostility" toward the media.

"Both before and since taking office, President Trump has blatantly stoked a climate of extreme hostility toward the press," the release said. "He has called the press 'the enemy of the American people,' and described mainstream media outlets as 'a stain on America.'

"Such antagonistic rhetoric encourages others to think, regardless of their views, that violence against journalists is more acceptable."

Trump has often referred to the media as "the enemy of the people" while regularly evoking the phase "fake news."
"I really wish I didn't have to introduce this, but we have seen rhetoric from the president declaring the media as the 'enemy of the state,' " Swalwell said last year when he first introduced the bill.
Original co-sponsors of the Journalist Protection Act in the House were Reps. David Cicilline (D-R.I.), Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.), Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.), Hank Johnson(D-Ga.), Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), Andy Levin (D-Mich.), Gwen Moore (D-Wis.), Bobby Rush (D-Ill.), Darren Soto (D-Fla.) and Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.).
TL;DR “climate of hate” cited as reason to make calling the press bad at their job a crime.
This is actually a re-up of a bill introduced last February, text here https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr4935

Elwood P. Dowd

I am the lizard king. I can do ... anything.
kiwifarms.net
How on earth would this stand a constitutional challenge? Christ, Blumenthal used to be the Connecticut AG. :\

Reactions: Marvin
How on earth would this stand a constitutional challenge? Christ, Blumenthal used to be the Connecticut AG. :\
The point probably isn't to get this bill passed but just to be able to say "look the republicans/drumpf are literally supporting beating up journalists" when it fails. Dems wouldn't want this passed as it could possibly give Alex Jones, Gavin Mcinnes, etc a federal case against the payment processors, social media and maybe mainstream media.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
The point probably isn't to get this bill passed but just to be able to say "look the republicans/drumpf are literally supporting beating up journalists" when it fails. Dems wouldn't want this passed as it could possibly give Alex Jones, Gavin Mcinnes, etc a federal case against the payment processors, social media and maybe mainstream media.
The dems seem to be all about fake bills to drum up their victim complex lately.

Vorhtbame

Whatever it is, I'm against it.
kiwifarms.net
I keep hearing Alex Trebek announcing "It's time for Double Jeopardy!" and I'm not sure why. Hmm...

Positron

Lost at Dirac Sea
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
LOL how do you define a "journalist"? Everyone with a blog is calling themselves "journalist" these days.

Reactions: fortunecookie

thismanlies

The Funnest Part of Gaming is Looting Corpses.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I only see groups like antifa being hurt by this.
Violent exceptional individuals get saddled with felonies for assaulting members of a despised profession. It's a win/win for society.

heathercho

あかんで !
kiwifarms.net
Isn't his name Swallowswell? Please amend title to this guy's real name. He deserves to be known by the name of his father and his father's father.

• Informative
Reactions: fortunecookie

Karl_der_Grosse

Sing with me, just for today
kiwifarms.net
Swalwell is easily in the running for top ten dumbest Democrats in the house. He's a dullard completely consumed by his hatred of Trump and his love of the camera.

An Ghost

Boof
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
knew a guy that ran a shitty anime podcast that he literally only continued to get press passes at cons.good to know there might be a way for white male weeb neckbeards to become a protected class that isn't trooning out

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino