Reptiles, arachnids, and other creepy critters thread - Because I know I'm not the only Kiwi into that shit

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net
ITT reptiles, amphibians, spiders, scorpions, millipedes, etc. Sperg about your animals, post pics, anything related to herp and invert shit. Maybe even hobby drama and gossip not fucked up enough for the herp horrorcow thread.

My new brown widow seems to be doing well. She's eating, webbing, and even made an egg sack. I plan on getting the egg sack out with some tongs and going out in the woods and finding a nice place for it. I also cleaned my friend's rosy boa rack and didn't get bit (which is always nice since they try to bite at everything so I tend to get bit at least once about half the time I mess with them).

SSF2T Old User

Summer Time = Summer Babes
kiwifarms.net
I always wanted a reptile as a pet. Closest thing i came to one was a pet turtle when I was in elementary school. Fucking thing shit a lot though.

AgriDrThunder

Shameful
kiwifarms.net
Asian lady beetles, or Harmonia axyridis, are the bane of my existence.

They were introduced in the Midwest decades ago to fight aphids and they're fucking everywhere now. Each spring and fall they get super active and they love to invade houses and set up shop. They crawl everywhere, they attack windows. They are attracted to light. They like flying in your face or crawling on you and they release a sweet but awful smelling stink juice when threatened. I can't even comfortably drink a can of pop in my house for months of the year because the fuckers will crawl in the can and float in the pop if you don't hold the can the entire time.

I hate these fuckers more than any other animal. Fuck Asian beetles and fuck Asia and Asians.

f1204ebcb95f8d684dfb195a1c055a92 - Copy.jpg
BX.jpg
V.jpg

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Anyone else have a bearded dragon? I love mine, she's my buddy.
I don't, but I have friends who do, and I'm currently staying with them and helping care for animals. They also do reptile rescue and we get in lots of beardies, many with health issues like MBD. We currently have one we just got with some mouth issues, gonna take her to the vet when possible.

They're fun, though they definitely can have attitude. Also the pet stores do not give proper care info at all.

SSF2T Old User

Summer Time = Summer Babes
kiwifarms.net
This reminds me of a nightmare I had once as a kid. I was walking in the halls at my elementary school and opened the doors to go up the stairs and these fuckers were all over the walls, and one of them flew at my face. I woke up immediately after that.

I'm confused by your first pic though. If regular lady bugs eat garden pests, then whats the point of having the Asian ones? Are Aphids not part of the regular lady bug's diet?

AgriDrThunder

Shameful
kiwifarms.net

Niggernerd

Hiya pops, long time no post.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tarantulas are a very sweet looky pets. They're relatively low maintenance but that's usually the new worlds. Old worlds still kinda scare the shit out of me because of their fast aggressive reflexes but overall they have gorgeous colors. Thought about getting a cobalt blue tarantula, orchid mantis or devil flower mantis

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Tarantulas are a very sweet looky pets. They're relatively low maintenance but that's usually the new worlds. Old worlds still kinda scare the shit out of me because of their fast aggressive reflexes but overall they have gorgeous colors. Thought about getting a cobalt blue tarantula, orchid mantis or devil flower mantis
Old worlds are beautiful but yeah they definitely aren't for beginners. I've also had horrible luck keeping avics alive.

My new world terrestrial guys all seem to be doing good though. Even if my red knee is a butthead that likes to kick hairs.

Niggernerd

Hiya pops, long time no post.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Old worlds are beautiful but yeah they definitely aren't for beginners. I've also had horrible luck keeping avics alive.

My new world terrestrial guys all seem to be doing good though. Even if my red knee is a butthead that likes to kick hairs.
I bet that red knees a beaut after molting.

speaking of molting, for those who want a tarantula in the future, when it's molting make sure not to have crickets or any other thing in the enclosure because spidey is soft and weak and it'll die from the stress.

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
I bet that red knees a beaut after molting.

speaking of molting, for those who want a tarantula in the future, when it's molting make sure not to have crickets or any other thing in the enclosure because spidey is soft and weak and it'll die from the stress.
Oh he gets more handsome with every molt. He's just a pissy teen currently.

And yeah it's best to avoid having any feeders near molting spiders. Crickets and mealworms can even eat a spider that's molting.

My baby Asian forest scorpion molted last month and I only tried feeding her a couple days ago. I know it takes a while for the new exoskeleton to harden so I wanted to make sure it was safe. She got the crickets fine and I even saw her use her stinger (normally I see my scorps just use their claws and shove bugs into their mouth without stinging).

Coffee Druid

Your cordial caffeinated chevalier
kiwifarms.net
I have a blood python (python brongersmai) named Anri. Super sweet gal, is the perfect lap snake. Bloods are ground snakes so they’re notoriously thicc bodied. One fun fact is that they can normally go months without pooping because of how slow their metabolisms work. Picture below isn’t my snake, just a specimen off google. My gal is young so her colors haven’t gone as dark yet.

I have friends with snakes and reptiles, so I get to hang out with several species here and there. My boyfriend has a red tail boa constrictor, local giant centipede, and we’re fostering some baby garter snakes. I’d love to get a giant millipede. They’re so round and friendly. My true dream pet is a monitor lizard (preferably a white/black throat or water monitor). Those require a LOT of husbandry though.

74EF0022-BB0C-4AC0-890E-7980F0564F97.jpeg

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Giant African millipedes are hard AF to get now because the countries they're native to cracked the fuck down on catching and exporting wild ones. Which is probably for the best, but makes it sadly really hard to get ahold of them now. I've gotten to interact with some though, they're fantastic.

Bloods are fun looking, but I've heard they can be mean. Sounds like you lucked out with a good tempered one. I also hear they need lots of water.

Another thing I want to add with spiders for beginners to be aware of is that it's not good to feed them vertebrates (i.e. pinkies) more than occasionally. The high levels of calcium and fat can be unhealthy and even kill them if they get too much. Even bird eating spiders, despite their common name, mostly eat invertebrates in the wild and should only be fed vertebrates maybe every couple months (if at all).

Same thing with other big, carnivorous inverts. I know there are tons of fuckboys that get a kick out of feeding giant centipedes mice or small lizards, but it's not healthy for them to get that every meal and in the wild they mostly eat invertebrates.

Tossing your inverts an extra pinkie a picky snake refused occasionally is fine, but I have heard horror stories about people feeding them vertebrates every damn meal and killing or seriously sickening their pets.