Reptiles, arachnids, and other creepy critters thread - Because I know I'm not the only Kiwi into that shit

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
hernando-gator-RESIZED.jpg
since the "no 'Florida News' general" rule remains in place for A/N this seems as good a place to dump random gator stories

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2247660
since the "no 'Florida News' general" rule remains in place for A/N this seems as good a place to dump random gator stories
Yes please, Gators are very important
I forget what these guys are called but they're funky. I know they use the cheek flap things as an intimidation display.

Volunteering with reptile shit today, hopefully I'll get some more OC for this thread.
EDIT: so slugs are cute but there are too many where I live and they keep eating my plants. So I gathered a bunch to give to my friend for her box turtle (she has a DNR permit). Apparently slugs are like their fav food ever. Knowing that turtle he'll definitely enjoy them

Last edited:

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Went to the museum today and saw some cool stuff

First, a hero
20210616_144655.jpg
20210616_144759.jpg
20210616_144807.jpg
20210616_144829.jpg

I also saw some cool real animals
20210616_145539.jpg
20210616_140408.jpg
20210616_123740.jpg
The snake is a Madagascar hognose, first time I've met one in person

And since I'm a womanchild that loves plastic crap I bought these in the gift shop. Couldn't resist the fact that the container is shaped like an ootheca (egg case some insects have) and they had a hisser:heart-full:
20210616_191308.jpg

ForgedBlades

Milled wedges.
kiwifarms.net
  1. I hate all this shit and fuck this thread.
  2. I saw a bird in my parking garage today trying to pick up this giant ass beetle and fly away with it. I have never seen anything like it in the Midwest and I wasn't even aware that we had beetles that get that big within at least 1,000 square miles. No bullshit, this thing was like two inches long, backwoods of the Amazon shit. Now I'm paranoid as fuck that one's going to find my way into my apartment.

Exuvia

kiwifarms.net
  2. I saw a bird in my parking garage today trying to pick up this giant ass beetle and fly away with it. I have never seen anything like it in the Midwest and I wasn't even aware that we had beetles that get that big within at least 1,000 square miles. No bullshit, this thing was like two inches long, backwoods of the Amazon shit. Now I'm paranoid as fuck that one's going to find my way into my apartment.
It may have been a water beetle, some species can grow quite large and they live throughout the US. The good news is that they don't have any reason to go in your apartment (if that is the bug you saw).

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
What color was it? And roughly how big?

In the southeast we have a nstive dynastid/Hercules beetle that gets maybe an inch and a half, I've only seen a few in my life but they're awesome. Iirc they live as grubs for a few years in rotten wood in Woodlands and only live a few months as adults. We also have patent leather beetles, which are skinny and black and popular in captivity.

Could've also been a roach or water bug. As in actual waterbug, live in ponds, toebiters, dad bugs.

Anyway whatever it was was harmless to humans I'm sure.

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
My male still wants to escape his tank and still fucks up anything with tubes in it in front of our eyes.
I wanted to turn on the Smart TV for them, but nope. :(
Maybe try giving him some other enrichment in the tank? Like some mealworms or something else to munch on, or a kong ball or some other toy that requires work to get treats out.

This cool spider has set up shop in my bathroom. I think it's some kind of crab spider because of the long front legs.
20210620_192946.jpg

Cheerlead-in-Chief

kiwifarms.net
Maybe try giving him some other enrichment in the tank? Like some mealworms or something else to munch on, or a kong ball or some other toy that requires work to get treats out.

This cool spider has set up shop in my bathroom. I think it's some kind of crab spider because of the long front legs.
View attachment 2283617
Maybe we could buy them a toy. They might like it in addition to walking in the back yard.

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Maybe we could buy them a toy. They might like it in addition to walking in the back yard.
Yeah turtles are smart, if nothing else something that can store treats they have to work for that doesn't require any manipulation from front limbs. That's one of the reasons reptiles have done poorly on a lot of old school animal intelligence tests, because they required front limb dexterity that most reptiles don't have (and were conducted in cold air conditioned labs)