Reptiles, arachnids, and other creepy critters thread - Because I know I'm not the only Kiwi into that shit

big jeff

kiwifarms.net
dd.png

spiders are best

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
afaik one of the reasons Florida is strict about herp (and getting stricter) is because it's soooooooooooooooo fucking easy for shit to thrive and become an invasive species when it gets out because of the climate
in most areas the unfortunate solution of "winter / dry and then it dies" resolves a lot of loose reptile issues in most places, but Florida still hasn't upgraded its biomes since dinosaur times
That's the reason but it's shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted. 40 years ago the current regulations would be a great idea, but regulating people in 2021 buying desert lizards won't make the populations of invasive boas, anacondas, iguanas, tegu, et al stop breeding in the swamps. At this point you could release a basically any number of big lizards into the swamps and just let them duke it out and it wouldn't make it much worse for the native flora and fauna. Even the fucking anoles you see almost everywhere are invasive Cuban anoles (the green ones are the native Carolina anoles but they mostly just stick to the trees because they are better adapted in that niche then the brown anoles).

Semi-related, I learned that there are breeding populations of capybara up around Jacksonville which is kind of dope. There are also a few breeding populations of Rhesus Macaque here and there, mostly central Florida.

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2110003

So this one isn't as brightly colored as they usually are, ripped it off of wikipedia.

They are the giant desert centipede and I hate them more than anything I've ever hated in my entire life. I don't give a shit what wikipedia or whatever says about them, they are very venomous and it'll ruin an adult human's day but will kill dogs and cats. No clue how it impacts children. They can get around a foot long (30.48 cm for those of you not in the US) and the main part of the body is bright red. I don't see them horribly often, but 3 have gotten into my house over the last decade and I contemplated shooting them each time because I can't stand how they move.

I see tarantulas twice a year when they come out to breed (I think thats why they're coming out anyway) but they're pretty chill dudes. Just run around doing spider shit and being peaceful.
Vietnamese centipedes are even nastier venom wise, I've had two and would keep them again in a heartbeat.

U need to check ur centipede privilege, not all of us live where you can just go out side and get giant centipedes :(

In all seriousness they aren't for everyone but centipedes are fun as hell if you like them, when my baby died i was a wreck for like a week afterwards.

And yeah tarantulas spotted in the wild are usually mature males in breeding season, they get leggy and roam far and wide for spider puspus (then die)

Frillies! One of my friends has one, they're from Australia like beardies but more arboreal iirc. Hers hates people too but will grudgingly tolerate sitting on your shoulder

Random pics
20200912_175653.jpg
20200914_092342.jpg
20210320_235642.jpg
20210410_162511.jpg

Btw I have a Cuban anole that was found on a plant shipment from Florida. Can't be released obvious because they're invasive but it's a cute little guy and not too much work to care for
20210311_191254.jpg

Last edited:

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Btw I have a Cuban anole that was found on a plant shipment from Florida. Can't be released obvious because they're invasive but it's a cute little guy and not too much work to care for
View attachment 2123831
I keep expecting that one day I'll randomly encounter some critter in some lettuce and I'll have to keep him safe from the cats all his live-long days.

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
I keep expecting that one day I'll randomly encounter some critter in some lettuce and I'll have to keep him safe from the cats all his live-long days.
Lettuce from the grocery store probably not so much, at least not alive since they usually refrigerate it. Nursery plants are a different story, my anole isnt the only reptile the organization I volunteer with has gotten after being found on plants from Florida. We've also gotten baby iguanas and even basilisk lizards. Wouldn't be surprised if we eventually get a baby tegu that way too (who would probably get adopted pretty quickly since there are some big tegu enthusiasts in my area, like with retics they're a lot of work but dedicated spergs love them).

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
What are these things on a bearded dragon's neck called? Why are they so fun to mess with? I'm asking for a friend.
View attachment 2135080
Pic isn't my lizard
No idea, they are fun to mess with tho. Dragon nubs.

I saw this cool guy while walking back to the bus stop after getting my second COVID shot
20210505_144108.jpg
20210505_144117.jpg

I think it's either a yellow eared slider or some kind of cooter

Amputechture

It lacks a human pulse...
kiwifarms.net

CheezzyMach

Viva Latina
kiwifarms.net
This might not be the right thread but have any of you guy tried edible insects? Thinking of ordering some of the flavored ones off Amazon. * My parents think I'm weird for wanting to try it but hey I love Shrimp and apparently they're closely related to insects so whateva *

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
This might not be the right thread but have any of you guy tried edible insects? Thinking of ordering some of the flavored ones off Amazon. * My parents think I'm weird for wanting to try it but hey I love Shrimp and apparently they're closely related to insects so whateva *
I have, just mealworms and crickets. They aren't bad at all but for some reason the Thunderdome crowd looses their shit over even the thought of people eating insects (even though people have been doing it forever throughout the world).

I know Flukers and I think other feeder sellers sell cooked insects for humans to eat. I've thought of cooking mealworms myself but I never have enough in my colony for it (especially since I've also started putting them in my bird feeder, I actually need to get more at the moment because of that and my animals being fat fucks).

I couldn't eat roaches though, I see them as pets too much. I will use them as feeders for other animals though, especially dubia.

Speaking of I'm currently trying to get my friends dubia colony going better, and I seem to be doing ok so far. I know they aren't hard but my friends and I have always had issues keeping a colony going strong just because of how many animals we all have and care for that eat them. Especially beardies, one of the best feeders for beardies after soldier fly larva (want to get some more of those too esp. for my bird feeder as well).

In sad new, one of my friends ball python that was extremely dear to her passed away unexpectedly recently. She was still young and recently had been having issues with head swelling, though a recent blood test was clear for anything iffy. It's horrible and the worst part about keeping exotic animals is how much we still don't know about vet care for them because people have only been keeping them as pets for a fairly short period of time.