Reptiles, arachnids, and other creepy critters thread - Because I know I'm not the only Kiwi into that shit

Ribbit

kiwifarms.net
photos of snakes - 112021 62141 PM.jpg

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net
The mud daubers that were laid and growing and eating zombie spiders and whatnot since last year are finally emerging, saw one fly off this morning
20210519_164941.jpg

I watched the mom build the nest last summer, I've left it alone and told my neighbors to do the same since mud daubers aren't aggressive and even prey on stuff that can be annoying to humans. They like to turn spiders into zombies and munch on them tho so I've been careful about making sure to shut the door so none fly in and hurt my spiders.

Speaking of spiders have a pic of my curly hair sling and extremely anxious stripe knee
20210519_165315.jpg
20210519_165348.jpg

I also finally made a trip to the pet store and got more rats, mealworms, and crickets so my guys can continue to be fat&sassy.

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Saw some cool guys at the park last night
20210521_210629.jpg
20210521_211605.jpg
20210521_221210.jpg
20210521_220639.jpg
The roach in the last pic caught my eye since it didnt look like any roach I'd seen around before. I did some research and I think it's a red runner/Turkish roach. They're native to Turkey and the middle east and have been popping up in the US thanks to military shenanigans. They aren't really pests and are a popular feeder species I've always been curious about, so I'm going to go back and try to catch some and see if I can get a colony going. Best case scenario I get a whole new feeder colony for my animals and even my friends animals.

Also I bought some dried mealworms for my bird feeder and, uh, might have eaten one (wasn't bad but the bag said not for human consumption so that makes me wary. Still I'm tempted to try more with that popcorn seasoning on them).

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Caught some red runners last night yeah boiiiiiii
20210522_222146.jpg
Moved them to a bigger container and I'm going to keep them in a different room from my other animals for a bit. I want to wait a while and get a nice colony established before feeding any off, don't want to feed anyone roaches that might have parasites or be contaminated with pesticides.

They live up to their name, they're wicked fast. Thankfully they don't seem to climb glass or dig, so that should mean they'll be great feeders for animals that rely on vision or touch primarily to hunt (like frogs, tarantulas, chameleons, etc). Definitely should be good to give beardies a work out too (adult soldier flies are also great for that).

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
There is nothing more pure than pit vipers cuddling. Snakes are solitary animals but pit vipers are pretty social by snake standards, they den together in winter and in spring pregnant female with stay around the den and hang out together and even stay with their babies for a little bit after giving birth.

Wonderful animals that are sadly horribly misunderstood and persecuted
20201027_152319.jpg

Exuvia

kiwifarms.net
I was trying to find a specific clip where someone put aircraft takeoff noises on top of slo-mo beetle footage but it seems to have vanished into the ether. This video is a good substitute though! The way the flight muscles are so prominent on some beetles is really neat to watch.

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
I was trying to find a specific clip where someone put aircraft takeoff noises on top of slo-mo beetle footage but it seems to have vanished into the ether. This video is a good substitute though! The way the flight muscles are so prominent on some beetles is really neat to watch.
Oh that's a really cool video! I really want to see footage like that of a giant cave roach taking off, they only fly when highly annoyed but it must look so impressive since they're so big.
20201005_182740.jpg

Jeffrey Epstein

Have your whites spayed or neutered pls
kiwifarms.net
Asian lady beetles, or Harmonia axyridis, are the bane of my existence.

They were introduced in the Midwest decades ago to fight aphids and they're fucking everywhere now. Each spring and fall they get super active and they love to invade houses and set up shop. They crawl everywhere, they attack windows. They are attracted to light. They like flying in your face or crawling on you and they release a sweet but awful smelling stink juice when threatened. I can't even comfortably drink a can of pop in my house for months of the year because the fuckers will crawl in the can and float in the pop if you don't hold the can the entire time.

I hate these fuckers more than any other animal. Fuck Asian beetles and fuck Asia and Asians.

View attachment 1782901View attachment 1782902View attachment 1782904
Yeah there were a bunch of these carcasses in the corners of my room and they got into the lighting fixtures a few years back.