Reptiles, arachnids, and other creepy critters thread - Because I know I'm not the only Kiwi into that shit

Ribbit

kiwifarms.net
I will bite you!! by Jo 54401 PM.jpg

Cheerlead-in-Chief

kiwifarms.net
Late post: On Easter Sunday this year, my two turtles danced for my mom's fiancé to welcome him. Sometimes in the tank they watch his back when he's at the dining room table. Since the tank is also near the living room, they also like watching TV up to 10 PM...but they especially like staring at us watching TV or sleeping on the sofa lol.

They also like to fuck up/disconnect the devices in the tank, or straddle the wires in order to escape their tank.

Another Kiwi mentioned how Red Eared Sliders are very intelligent: Are they intelligent enough to give different methods of affection, like my mated pair are?

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net
Late post: On Easter Sunday this year, my two turtles danced for my mom's fiancé to welcome him. Sometimes in the tank they watch his back when he's at the dining room table. Since the tank is also near the living room, they also like watching TV up to 10 PM...but they especially like staring at us watching TV or sleeping on the sofa lol.

They also like to fuck up/disconnect the devices in the tank, or straddle the wires in order to escape their tank.

Another Kiwi mentioned how Red Eared Sliders are very intelligent: Are they intelligent enough to give different methods of affection, like my mated pair are?
I think so, at the very least I know turtles like to beg for food and also can enjoy being pet. I've heard about even training them to recognize their names. That said they're also stubborn af and do what they want in their own time.

How big is the tank? Also it might be good to try experimenting with different enrichment for them if you aren't already, like giving them live feeder guppies or insects to eat that they have to chase (good exercise for them too).

Cheerlead-in-Chief

kiwifarms.net
I think so, at the very least I know turtles like to beg for food and also can enjoy being pet. I've heard about even training them to recognize their names. That said they're also stubborn af and do what they want in their own time.

How big is the tank? Also it might be good to try experimenting with different enrichment for them if you aren't already, like giving them live feeder guppies or insects to eat that they have to chase (good exercise for them too).
Ten gallon but we put them at night most nights. and put them into the kiddy pool to feed them and clean them daily
They eat anything: We just fed them raw chicken, and mom plans on feeding them more today.
Their diet:
  1. Dried crickets and shrimp
  2. Pellets
  3. Raw chicken and (sometimes) raw fish
  4. vegetables/fruits like kale, broccoli floret heads, snake berries, blackberries, watermelon, mango (Lilly likes it)
  5. live crickets and flies
Irwin has strange eating habits: He sometimes will analyze food for minutes in the water despite beoing familiar with the food. :(

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Ten gallon but we put them at night most nights. and put them into the kiddy pool to feed them and clean them daily
They eat anything: We just fed them raw chicken, and mom plans on feeding them more today.
Their diet:
  1. Dried crickets and shrimp
  2. Pellets
  3. Raw chicken and (sometimes) raw fish
  4. vegetables/fruits like kale, broccoli floret heads, snake berries, blackberries, watermelon, mango (Lilly likes it)
  5. live crickets and flies
Irwin has strange eating habits: He sometimes will analyze food for minutes in the water despite beoing familiar with the food. :(
Diet sounds good, tho I'd upgrade the tank size when possible. In the meantime what you're doing with the kiddie pool sounds like a good idea.

As treats I'd see about occasionally offering other insects like dubia roaches or soldier fly larva, maybe even hornworms (not wild ones tho). Also live bearing feeder fish, not feeder goldfish I hear they're bad for animals.

U got turt pics?

Cheerlead-in-Chief

kiwifarms.net
Diet sounds good, tho I'd upgrade the tank size when possible. In the meantime what you're doing with the kiddie pool sounds like a good idea.

As treats I'd see about occasionally offering other insects like dubia roaches or soldier fly larva, maybe even hornworms (not wild ones tho). Also live bearing feeder fish, not feeder goldfish I hear they're bad for animals.

U got turt pics?
Thanks, mom got the idea from that Youtuber Turtle Girl. :)

I do have some pics of them when they were younger from my old account, and a video...but alas both were under the bridge lol (Lilly, top and Irwin, lower pic) I'm fully aware I suck ass at photographs
lilly_by_crazyrandomzyngirl_.jpg

younger_irwin_walking_.jpg

Oh, and cringy voice warning: this is how we greet them

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
Thanks, mom got the idea from that Youtuber Turtle Girl. :)

I do have some pics of them when they were younger from my old account, and a video...but alas both were under the bridge lol (Lilly, top and Irwin, lower pic) I'm fully aware I suck ass at photographs
View attachment 2228770
View attachment 2228772

Oh, and cringy voice warning: this is how we greet them
Awww, they hopefully should be around for another 25+ years lol. Red ears can live a good long time and get a foot long.

Ideally you want to have 10 gallons per inch of shell length. One thing that might be worth considering in the future is building a protected outside pond for them, like a koi pond. I know some people do that for red ears. I've also seen some really cool custom enclosures.

Cheerlead-in-Chief

kiwifarms.net
Awww, they hopefully should be around for another 25+ years lol. Red ears can live a good long time and get a foot long.

Ideally you want to have 10 gallons per inch of shell length. One thing that might be worth considering in the future is building a protected outside pond for them, like a koi pond. I know some people do that for red ears. I've also seen some really cool custom enclosures.
In the future, we're going to be living between Dom. Rep. (a whole floor for an apartment) but commuting between there and the States due to my medical conditions/doctors in the States,
I am aware of the 10 gallons per shell length rule, but our apartment is small. :(

I have an architect for an aunt. Perhaps I can consult her and mom on that idea. Apologies for PL'ing in here!!

Android raptor

kiwifarms.net
In the future, we're going to be living between Dom. Rep. (a whole floor for an apartment) but commuting between there and the States due to my medical conditions/doctors in the States,
I am aware of the 10 gallons per shell length rule, but our apartment is small. :(

I have an architect for an aunt. Perhaps I can consult her and mom on that idea. Apologies for PL'ing in here!!
Hmmm, in that case I wonder if you could create a more portable enclosure with a small swimming pool? Definitely ask your aunt, unfortunately I don't know shit about actually making enclosures lol.