Resident Evil - Discuss Why Mr. X Is Gonna Give It To Ya

The Demon Pimp of Razgriz

Still Pimpin
kiwifarms.net
Meant to say made zombies interesting again after years of complete global saturation.

Also Crimson Heads coming back would of been nice since I figured they were the in between for zombies and lickers (unless I'm wrong and lickers are G-Virus infected people?)
Crimson Heads and Lickers are the result of two different strains of the T-Virus undergoing a secondary mutation process that happens when the T-Virus and its host fall into a period of dormancy called V-ACT. To be honest, though Crimson heads (heretofore) have only appeared at the Arklay Mansion Laboratory (where they were canonically studied), I wouldn't have minded Crimson Heads appearing this game while making the normal zombies easier to kill.

Ali della Fenice

Cosa credi, che abbia perso la forza?
kiwifarms.net
Meant to say made zombies interesting again after years of complete global saturation.

Also Crimson Heads coming back would of been nice since I figured they were the in between for zombies and lickers (unless I'm wrong and lickers are G-Virus infected people?)
regular zombie that underwent another t-virus mutation. That would have been a good alternative to make zombies harder to deal with, without making them too bullet spongy.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Had an interesting situation happen in Leon B:

I got the C4 but I triggered Mr X. because I forgot he appeared so early. So, I hid in the save room until he left and started walking towards the room you need to use the C4. I had to run up through the Library to get to that room and Mr. X was on my ass. So, I figured to conserve inventory I ran up to the spot to use the C4 and was hoping that the door would be blocked like it usually is. I use the C4, Mr. X is still on my ass, boom, but the door isn't blocked. I didn't look to see what happened because I had limited ammo but when I came back to that room when I lost Mr. X that door wasn't blocked like it usually is. I know for a fact he was just about to enter that door because he was climbing up the ladder.

I'm roughly half way through Leon B on hardcore. Just in the parking garage looking for electronic parts. Leon has it a little bit easier than Claire in that section because dogs are infinitely easier to deal with than Lickers.

Edit: I had a DSP moment when I realized when playing Leon B that you can knife the zombies after you kneecap them just to get rid of them when they're in a tight spot. I never did that in Claire A (and wasted too much TMP ammo later on).

Last edited:

Oh Shit I'm Sorry

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
kiwifarms.net
Had an interesting situation happen in Leon B:
I'm roughly half way through Leon B on hardcore. Just in the parking garage looking for electronic parts. Leon has it a little bit easier than Claire in that section because dogs are infinitely easier to deal with than Lickers.
You can walk past all 3 lickers in the corridor and cage room and never even have to bother returning after you get the key whereas those fucking dogs are gonna be humping your leg the entire time Leon is down there after he turns on the power

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm having more difficulty with Mr. X in Leon B on Hardcore than any other playthrough. He just keeps appearing at the worst times even when I lose him. It got to a point where it just became more annoying than a challenge or resembling intensity or whatever. It's obvious that the A.I. is tethered to be near you even when you lose him. Alien Isolation did the same thing. The big difference is that Alien Isolation gave you more options to hide or get around the Alien sneakily.

Got to the Sewers, completed the Ada segment, fully upgraded Matilda and Magnum. Let's go.

You can walk past all 3 lickers in the corridor and cage room and never even have to bother returning after you get the key whereas those fucking dogs are gonna be humping your leg the entire time Leon is down there after he turns on the power
Meanwhile I ran by every single dog in the garage and didn't take a single hit. In the morgue area I got bit one time and that was it. To each his own but it's pretty obvious that the dogs are easier to deal with. Especially when the Lickers are in that hallway in the police station and Mr. X is on your ass.

Edit: I'm at the lab and swimming in Shotty and Magnum ammo (I think I still have 14-ish rounds for it left) and tons of herbs. Time to wrap this up tomorrow.

I think Leon might edge out Claire when it comes to weapons. The Grenade Launcher is awesome but flame rounds are scarce and you can't make more. The Electric gun is awesome but rounds are extremely limited. Acid Rounds for the Grenade Launcher are garbage and the TMP is okay. Whereas you get plenty of Shotty and Magnum ammo if you know how to conserve it for boss fights. And the Flamethrower is okay but its main purpose is to remove the Plants. You also get plenty of ammo with the Flamethrower and can just go nuts with it.

Last edited:

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I beat Leon B on Hardcore. I still can't S rank for shit. I blame that on Mr. X and me running to the save rooms waiting for him to leave.

A great game but I still prefer it on Normal. I've done everything now since the cracked version doesn't have the DLC.

And here's an excessively long This Is How You DON'T Play:

Reactions: Judge Dredd

SkippyLongbottom

kiwifarms.net
I haven't touched hardcore yet but have done Claire A/Leon B on standard. I managed to S+ Leon A because I knew where shit was and was able to speed it up a bit.

Currently though I'm hitting a wall with Claire B for LA/CB. Not because it's difficult because I am passed the initial beginning where ammo is a bit fucked and Mr. X came early. It's just I find the sewer segment such a slog, and it with being the 4th time playing through again, it gets a bit samey and more being an errand boy in a sense. Run here, get this, go here, save ammo for this, shoot that etc.

Also I find Claire just not as fun as Leons. I mean they both have their ups and downs to runs with Leon's shotgun making RPD a cakewalk while Claire has some areas that are super simple like the Parking Garage. Much prefer Sherry over Ada as well.

Might dab back in sometime this weekend though. Hunk mode seems fun and the music is rad. Managed to also see a bit of the DLC so that might be a change of pace in a way.
Hunk and Kendo's music themes are fucking amazing too.

I've been seeing a lot of mixed reactions to the DLCs though. How does it fare with you guys?

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The one thing I like about Claire's weapons is that the TMP makes hitting the Birken eyeball in the 2nd to final fight much easier. With Leon, you have to use the pistol(s) or get close with the shotty. As an aside, Matilda was a pretty "meh" weapon. The Flamethrower was cool... Until you realize those zombies with the gray jumpsuit are fire retardant.

Hunk was really fun to use and the designers give you just enough resources to complete it in your own way.

Megaroad

rip dave white
kiwifarms.net
Ordered the RE2 board game for my social gatherings. Seems pretty interesting, will get the b scenario expansions if it's good.

ProfDongs

kiwifarms.net
Managed to pull off only using 42 pistol rounds for No Way Out. Ended up just tanking through most of what I could to pile in as many zombies for flame thrower and explosives. Aiming at the roof with the rockets might also be the best strategy for when you're getting swarmed and they're still scattered, the splash damage would probably still hit them from across the room if you aimed toward the center.

Judge Dredd

10 Gaschamber 20 GOTO 10
kiwifarms.net
Playing on Hardcore and on Claire A and I don't really like playing as Claire. She takes damage like a bitch. Her route's a little more convoluted, especially when Mr. X becomes a thing. The grenade launcher is boss but the Acid Rounds are garbage and not worth the resources. Even on Normal, a single Acid round cannot one shot a basic zombie.
Acid rounds are great. Especially against bosses. You can easily get enough to stunlock G3 if you're frugal. Because of this, you can use the smg on zombies (or even ignore it entirely).

Though the spark shot is almost worthless. It's only good against g-adults as everything else is to fast to make using it safe.

It's obvious that the A.I. is tethered to be near you even when you lose him.
It no where near Alien Isolation levels of bullshit. X will teleport but only in ways that seem plausible like the rare press office jump scare or the room with the jack handle. The exception being in 4th survivor. If he keeps showing up then I'm guessing you were running around, shooting a lot, and generally making a lot of noise.

I disagree. Zombies were never as ubiquitous as World War 2 games or Modern Warfare clones. Zombie games were generally varied and I think the people complaining that zombies are lame or overused are just parroting a meme. It's the video game equivalent of "Aquaman is lame" jokes.

Ordered the RE2 board game for my social gatherings. Seems pretty interesting, will get the b scenario expansions if it's good.
Let us know how it is because I had no idea it even existed.

Reactions: ASoulMan

Megaroad

rip dave white
kiwifarms.net

So here's the end of the first board game scenario as Leon for me: reaching the police station.

Not well versed when it comes to board games but I really like how they captured all the elements of the game. Limited ammo, inventory and well designed playing pieces. Will have to paint them later.

It has a solo player mode and I think it's pretty fun; enough so I ordered the Scenario B expansion pack.

Will start a proper co-op campaign with my fiance when he gets home tonight.

It was a great series initially and then it tanked for a number of reasons.

RE1 was never a really strong game in terms of plotline or story but more than made up for it in being the first of the games and thus setting a bar for things to get better, and being the first game.

RE2 was everything that RE1 wasn't the story line was better, it had more replay value between the two characters as they had better divergent story lines and the actual story and the characters were good.

RE3 is where they started to drop the ball, it wasn't nearly as good as the first two despite being more aesthetically pleasing, the game play wasn't as involved and having the nemesis stalking the character could have been a nice touch if it hadn't happened so frequently.

Codename Veronica:
Never played it. Heard it had a really weird story line.

RE Survivor steaming pile of shit, enough said really.

RE4 The first of the parasite games. It was ok, though the direction of changing the virus to the parasites was a bit weird. Also Leon was never as interesting as the other characters, so he was a curious choice a headliner. The whole rescue the girl thing from the evil cult that was somehow involved with umbrella was tentatively weak at best but the game was ok fun, it was a big departure from the survival aspect of the series, but it was ok.

RE5 This one shit the bed in my opinion. The game was ok in terms of the gameplay, but the characters in were just awful and the story even for a resident evil game. Also having Wesker as the bad guy.... Gameplay was fine, it was an action shooter, not much in terms of horror. The plot writer for the game should have been shot.

Haven't played any of them since. I like the idea of franchise, but it's essentially just diminishing returns for me at this point. The remake of 2 looks good though.

RadicalCentrist

kiwifarms.net
I got the C4 but I triggered Mr X. because I forgot he appeared so early. So, I hid in the save room until he left and started walking towards the room you need to use the C4. I had to run up through the Library to get to that room and Mr. X was on my ass. So, I figured to conserve inventory I ran up to the spot to use the C4 and was hoping that the door would be blocked like it usually is. I use the C4, Mr. X is still on my ass, boom, but the door isn't blocked. I didn't look to see what happened because I had limited ammo but when I came back to that room when I lost Mr. X that door wasn't blocked like it usually is. I know for a fact he was just about to enter that door because he was climbing up the ladder.
If you run and push past the door and place the C4 quickly while the door is still swinging then it never gets blocked off since its still in motion. You see this in speedruns, usually.

Jaimas

Autism War Correspondent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I worked out Mr. X's behavior with a series of experiments on Leon and Claire's B scenario:

I wanted to know exactly what it was that dictated Mr. X's behavior. And while some is scripted, like the archive room where you get the jack handle, the rest of Mr. X seems to be relatively competently programmed with a number of interesting quirks.

To figure out his behaviors, the first thing I did was run tests on what grabbed his attention.

So I murdered all the Zombies in the Library, triggered his appearance in scenario B, lost him in the east wing, hid in the library, and timed how long it took him to find me if I stayed stock still. 9:23 was the final time.

I then did similar, reloading my save, and timed how long it took him to do the same thing but if I was merely walking around. 5:41 this time, though I admittedly got less lucky and he just happened to open the door right in front of me before dubstep walking my way.

Third try, I ran around the Library this time and he found me in 1:55.

Next, I went to the library and shot into the air. Found me in about 35 seconds.

Then. I reloaded my save, went to the library, provoked the zombies a bit, but didn't run and didn't shoot any of them. Found me in 56 seconds.

To follow this up, I reloaded my save again, and spooked (but didn't anger) the Licker in the Western 1F hall. Found me in 43 seconds.

Finally, I unlocked most of the second floor, ditched X in the east wing again, and went on a walking tour of the police station starting from the western office on the first floor. 4 minutes and 12 seconds later, he peeked his head into the holding cell room connecting to the library when I was in it.

What I gathered from this was that Mr. X's ability to track you is based heavily on sound. He hears footsteps (especially when you're running), environmental noises (quickly opened doors, things getting knocked over or hit), monster roars and groans (Zombies and Lickers), secondary weapon explosions, and especially gunfire. Those Zombies that try to grab for you from the windows count as a noise-maker, so consider introducing the Zombie outside's face to a 9mm or two in Scenario A near the Dark Room if you want to be slightly harder to find. If you shoot anywhere in the police station he's allowed to go, he will find you in 50 seconds at the absolute most and likely within 30 seconds.

I then did further tests to figure out his behaviors. I wanted to know what happened if he legitimately couldn't find you or get to you.

Curiously, Mr. X does not do locked or barricaded doors; while these will obviously bar the player's path too, X will have to go around and find another path to get to you under normal circumstances if you leave certain doors locked. Note, however, that X always knows the fastest route to you if you did something to reveal your presence (like shoot or piss off a monster).

If Mr. X follows you into a room, and loses track of you, he will usually refuse to leave that room because he hasn't heard you make noises anywhere else. He'll just keep sweeping the area until he finds you, and you'll get tired of it long before he does, so take advantage and slip out while you can.

If for some reason Mr. X can't find you (you're in someplace he flat-out can't go, like a save room), he'll eventually wander off, but odds are good he won't wander far. It's if he can't get to you at all for a while and has no idea where you are, however, that things get interesting: He begins a patrol strategy. He'll enter one of the doors in the main hall, based on where he heard you last, and will wander through the station in a methodical direction, going room by room. If he entered via the Library, he will work his way past the Unicorn statue, down the STARS Hallway, through the bathrooms, down the stairs, through the western police office, and into the main hall, before going, again, to where he heard you last and repeating the procedure.

He generally avoids the third floor, but can absolutely go there, and will if he thinks you're up there, especially in or around the holding cell. Worth noting that he is perfectly capable of reaching the 3rd floor concourse in the main hall, but unless you shoot or make noise (or trigger a certain scripted encounter), odds are good he'll leave you alone up there. You will see him, however, repeatedly patrolling below.

The Areas he won't go are as follows:
  • The Interrogation Room (1F East)
  • The Observation Room (1F East)
  • Dark Room Save Room (1F West)
  • Boiler Room Save Room (1F East)
  • Chief Irons' Office (2F East)
  • S.T.A.R.S. Office (2F West)
  • The Watchman's Room (1F East)
  • The Break Room Hall (1F East)
  • The Break Room Save Room (1F East)
  • The Clock Tower (3F)

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino