Resident Evil - Hard-on for STARS

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

The handsome tard

Hyperion is working on the cure, it wont be cheap.
kiwifarms.net
Man, capcom really dropped the ball the switch port for RE 5. The frames keep dropping below 30 frames (when I know that the switch is at least capable of maintaining 30 frames easily). Its not like Im asking for 60 frames. Then again I got RE 5 and 6 with the RE 4 port (which is a pretty good one, then again, how you fuck up RE 4? A freaking gamecube game...), I dont know what I expected...

• Informative
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
There's a great game buried within RE6, but it did a fucking awful job of teaching you how to play it.
I uhh actually like RE 6 for how much dumb action it is. Doing stuff like quick shoting an enemy and then dodging and shooting from the floor was all endearing to me in a way. It was a terrible RE game but worked enough for me to get something out of it. The set pieces were also hilarious like when Leon gets out of the subway and into the town proper and going down the street is just constant car crashes and explosions.

I also liked the BSAA there is something I love about the idea of these guys having to wake up every morning and start fighting RE monsters for their job.

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
I uhh actually like RE 6 for how much dumb action it is. Doing stuff like quick shoting an enemy and then dodging and shooting from the floor was all endearing to me in a way. It was a terrible RE game but worked enough for me to get something out of it. The set pieces were also hilarious like when Leon gets out of the subway and into the town proper and going down the street is just constant car crashes and explosions.

I also liked the BSAA there is something I love about the idea of these guys having to wake up every morning and start fighting RE monsters for their job.
There was a decent game hidden in RE6...or hell, one can say it is a decent game if you really focus mostly on its good aspects (which are very good) most agree that the bad sadly outweights the good. And given how Capcom is taking another approach to the series, thankfully, we sadly wont see those mechanics at their true potential (whatever they could have been...).

Also, with BOWs being produced and distributed like fucking candy in the RE universe, something like the BSAA was a natural eventuality, especially after a small american city was fucking wiped off the map to prevent the spread of a possibly apocalyptic virus...And now with RE 7 hinting at a new Organization creating BOWs, it makes sense the BSAA is using the help of "Blue Umbrella" (a group of people who worked under Umbrella in the past and are attempting to prevent disasters caused by it sort as an attempt to redeem "the brand", takes one to fight one, isnt it?), tho Chris understandably is very distrusting of them through the entire DLC (and possibly even RE8 ).

Burned Man

kiwifarms.net
Bring back Operation Raccoon City you cowards.
ORC was a weird love letter to HUNK that also didn't have enough of him in it. They made sure to showcase him in the intro he does a neckbreaker, he has his scene with Birkin off screen but you hear it, they namedrop Goblin 6 one of his team members that's in the Umbrella Chronicles version of 4th Survivor, and one of the main characters that was the poster boy was trained by him, also that last shot he is in the game where he confronts G like a badass. They would have done better just to have made a game for him.

I think ORC would have worked better if they made you a team of faceless generic USS goons and actually had you doing darker things to cover up Umbrellas involvement. Have them weaken or destroy some strategic barriers around the police station to let the zombies in, actually kill some survivors now and again, kill only a few US army teams instead of hundreds of them, maybe collect some of the data from the UBCS monitors rather then randomly fight against Nikolai for no reason, not interfere with canon and chase Leon and Claire around and have to get into a weird inexplicable team death match at the end. Also making the game less janky would have been nice too.

I liked the multiplayer component of having a shootout while dealing with BOWs running around and then at the end its every man for them self to get on the escape helicopter.

I also hope that one day in this world of bioterrorism and Blue Umbrellas that HUNK can show up again if only as a continued excuse to have him in more mini games.

EDIT: I just remembered how they had a heroes vs villains mode and they were so desperate to fill out the villain's team that one of the characters is the helicopter pilot that extracts HUNK in 4th Survivor.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
It was at the end of Chris's campaign in RE6 when I was fighting a giant monster in a giant underwater lab facility that I realized just how off the rails the series had gotten.

In its quest to up the scale more and more it just became numbing and so far from the idea of horror.

ORC was a weird love letter to HUNK that also didn't have enough of him in it. They made sure to showcase him in the intro he does a neckbreaker, he has his scene with Birkin off screen but you hear it, they namedrop Goblin 6 one of his team members that's in the Umbrella Chronicles version of 4th Survivor, and one of the main characters that was the poster boy was trained by him, also that last shot he is in the game where he confronts G like a badass. They would have done better just to have made a game for him.

I think ORC would have worked better if they made you a team of faceless generic USS goons and actually had you doing darker things to cover up Umbrellas involvement. Have them weaken or destroy some strategic barriers around the police station to let the zombies in, actually kill some survivors now and again, kill only a few US army teams instead of hundreds of them, maybe collect some of the data from the UBCS monitors rather then randomly fight against Nikolai for no reason, not interfere with canon and chase Leon and Claire around and have to get into a weird inexplicable team death match at the end. Also making the game less janky would have been nice too.

I liked the multiplayer component of having a shootout while dealing with BOWs running around and then at the end its every man for them self to get on the escape helicopter.

I also hope that one day in this world of bioterrorism and Blue Umbrellas that HUNK can show up again if only as a continued excuse to have him in more mini games.
I remember hearing a rumor once a long time ago that RE4 would have you playing as HUNK or some type of Umbrella agent, showing the series from the "other side"

I doubt that was more than a fan rumor, but it's an interesting idea.

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
It was at the end of Chris's campaign in RE6 when I was fighting a giant monster in a giant underwater lab facility that I realized just how off the rails the series had gotten.

In its quest to up the scale more and more it just became numbing and so far from the idea of horror.
Kind late there buddy...Wasnt Leon dodging lasers and giant tentacles enough of a hint? RE5 went from hint to constantly screaming actions this and there...RE 6 was just the punchline of the "joke".
...But hey, we got RE 7 and the remakes so not all is lost.

Its my belief that Hunk went freelance mercenary once Umbrella bit the dust. He is still around but its clear that the story just didnt focus on him just yet...

Besides, lets face it, Hunk going Boba Fett would be fitting, with him being just like him, appearing once and suddenly everyone loves him.

I think RE 5 and 6 were taking their cue from the movies. Obviously 4 started it but 5 and 6 went full bore with that bullshit.
5 is great ACTION game but thats it, its not a good Resident Evil game.
Its like making a shooter out of, say, Phoenix Wright and its a damn good fun game...but its still not Phoenix Wright even if it does have it so on the title.
RE 6...I dont know, that game is exausting to play for me...

huckbeine

I'm cute, buy my comic
kiwifarms.net
I like RE6 because the whole gameplay revolves around on how it will work for Mercenaries. the health system, the quick shot, the melee system and cooldown, its centered around the Mercenaries mode. I hate RE6 because its Mercenaries mode is complete shit compared to RE5. no executors, no insta kill manjinis and stuff. Mercenaries mode in 6 was easy and focus on combo and scores, even in No Mercy. No Mercy mode in RE5 is really good and tense.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I think RE 5 and 6 were taking their cue from the movies. Obviously 4 started it but 5 and 6 went full bore with that bullshit.
You know I've never even really made that connection before as I haven't seen any of the movies since I stopped watching midway through Apocalypse, but you're totally right.

Kind late there buddy...Wasnt Leon dodging lasers and giant tentacles enough of a hint? RE5 went from hint to constantly screaming actions this and there...RE 6 was just the punchline of the "joke".
...But hey, we got RE 7 and the remakes so not all is lost.
The end of Leon's campaign was bad enough, it's true, but for some reason it was especially the end of Chris's campaign that really pissed me off, I guess because fighting another giant monster was just really past the point of ridiculousness.

But the point is though I started Sherry and Jake's campaign I didn't finish it and I never even touched Ada's campaign, I had seen enough.

What's sad is there was a germ of a good idea in Leon's campaign, I remember thinking after 4 that 4's gameplay in a Raccoon City esque setting would be interesting and that's sorta what Leon's campaign was in part, trouble is it was just a small part of a much larger, crappier game and even what was there was not executed as well as I had hoped.

But really, there's no point on focusing on the bad anymore, the series was redeemed with 7 and 2 Remake (arguably even earlier with Revelations 2, which was pretty good as well) so it's all good.

Last edited:

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
Revelations 2 is awesome. The monsters look fucking horrifying. Also Moira Burton is awesome. I liked the theme: father - daughter relationships.

It's interesting that this theme is quite common in Resident Evil games.

Megaroad 2012

I CANT CONTROL MYSELF.
kiwifarms.net
I think ORC would have worked better if they made you a team of faceless generic USS goons
I would have actually probably played it if I wasn't shown a checking off the tropes list cast of blando ambiguous europeans and gruff guys.

Nemesis already cornered that market.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
Man, here is something people just dont seem to question much but looking back on RE 6 made me realize something.

The whole "Human becomes monster" trope is insane even when buying its own logic most of the time. It didnt bother me much when it happened with Birkin since you could make the argument that the G-Virus was just that powerful and he had time to "grow" into that state. I dont count Nemesis and other BOWs changing into bigger forms as much since you can make the argument they were already supposed to do that so there would be some "way" for them to change so drastically. However, I feel like this trope began to become an absurd in Code Veronica with Steven becoming some big ass monster (tho it wasnt as bad, he still kept a human "shape"). RE 4 is when the transformations had them turn into whatever the plot wanted them to, organic mass be damned. RE 6 is when the worst ones are, them being Simmons and the Ada Wong impostor, the former keeps constantly shifting into multiple times cartoonishly fast (one of them a fucking T-REX, like, where all that mass came from?! and where does it go when he turns human again?!) and the latter becomes a giant silly pudding monster.

RE7 sort of had it tho you could make the argument that the Bakers and Eviline were using the mold she produces to achieve those large monstrous forms...unlike 6 where rules of mass and volume be fucking damned, am I right?

Catgirl IRL

kiwifarms.net
Birkin underwent massive growth - heh - in a short period of time, and RE4 had a midget being eaten so someone else could turn I to a skyscraper monster.

Laws of mass and thermo dynamics are a neccesary wank for the franchise to exist.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Revelations 2 is awesome. The monsters look fucking horrifying. Also Moira Burton is awesome. I liked the theme: father - daughter relationships.

Yes, Revelations 2 is great and was the first sign that the series still had potential after 6.

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
Birkin underwent massive growth - heh - in a short period of time, and RE4 had a midget being eaten so someone else could turn I to a skyscraper monster.

Laws of mass and thermo dynamics are a neccesary wank for the franchise to exist.
To be honest, Birkin had "time" to grow into each form and the whole point of them in RE 2 is to show how powerful the G-virus is. And Salazar didnt turn into the monster itself, he seemed to merely "fuse" with it (so both of those cases arent as insane as latter examples...)

And yep, it surely is, the problem is when we buy in its own logic, they break even that. Suspension of disbelief can only go so far, you know?

Catgirl IRL

kiwifarms.net
Birkin went from the size of a big lion to something that could consume an entire train within the space of about five minutes.

I get your point dude, but it isn't as clear cut as you make out. The 103 would collapse under the strain of his own cardiovascular system.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: The handsome tard

Burned Man

kiwifarms.net
Its my belief that Hunk went freelance mercenary once Umbrella bit the dust. He is still around but its clear that the story just didnt focus on him just yet...

Besides, lets face it, Hunk going Boba Fett would be fitting, with him being just like him, appearing once and suddenly everyone loves him.
I'd like just a little hint at what he is up to. Like that file in Code Veronica where he calls out Ashford for not telling him what he was transporting. Just a nod like a protagonist stumbling upon some massacred Blue Umbrella goons and recovering some mission logs implying HUNK completed the mission at the cost of his team again. Doesn't have to be a full blown on screen moment.

I really liked the asymmetrical coop it was fun running around with Moira with a crowbar and flashlight and just baffling to play as a little girl that could only point to stuff for Barry to shoot. We assumed for the longest time that Natasha could even pick up the crates you climb on throughout the game it was a great moment when I finally did and started walking around holding a crate bigger then I was.

I would have actually probably played it if I wasn't shown a checking off the tropes list cast of blando ambiguous europeans and gruff guys.

Nemesis already cornered that market.
I think blander company goons would have worked better then the strange group of eccentric weirdos we got. The UBCS guys were all mercs, war criminals, convicted terrorists and they seemed more professional then the Umbrella special forces.

One part of the game that annoyed me was the company cuts you off because you don't kill Leon NOW NOW NOW! Like you don't refuse the order he just gets away and this is basically just after the car crash scene, he hasn't even seen anything yet to make him a threat. Cut to the cast being all FUCK YOU Umbrella we'll just keep killing all your BOWs and cost you a bunch of money even though Umbrella plans to nuke the city anyway and their plan works with the company giving them a chance again.

Tags
None