Retro games and emulation - Discuss retro shit in case you're stuck in the past or a hipster

trueandhonestfan

I'll drink my agua to that!
kiwifarms.net
After searching I didn't really see a thread for older games, so I thought it might be nice to make one. So here's a thread to discuss old games and emulation, recommend old games, bitch about them or whatever else.

Reactions: awoo

Shroom King

kiwifarms.net
One of my friends has a raspberry pi with about 6-7 retro systems on it. I am sold after seeing that. Playing old games on a laptop is one thing but putting it on the big TV in the living room is worth the money for a pi. The latest pi has bluetooth for using PS4 controllers wirelessly.

trueandhonestfan

I'll drink my agua to that!
kiwifarms.net
One of my friends has a raspberry pi with about 6-7 retro systems on it. I am sold after seeing that. Playing old games on a laptop is one thing but putting it on the big TV in the living room is worth the money for a pi. The latest pi has bluetooth for using PS4 controllers wirelessly.
I'm using an old computer with a square flat panel monitor (the kind you see in schools and businesses) which will eventually be installed into a wooden arcade style case. A pi is nice too, but I had the computer lying around, and it would be upgradeable to some extent, has bigger storage, and probably performs a bit better with more customization.

Reactions: sikotik

Some JERK

Takin' all the pretty girls.
kiwifarms.net
The new pi's are space-heaters. Get a good enclosure with active and passive cooling.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Would PS1/N64 count as retro at this point? Because I have super fond memories playing Spyro, Crash, Oddworld, Klonoa, Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario 64, ect.

Haven't really used much in the ways of emulators. Other than this one on a website that let me played Pokemon gen 1 and 2, but that site's long gone now.

Last edited:

sikotik

It's Lego Frank Mutha Fucka!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Personally, Dreamcast emulation is a pain in the ass. No matter how hard you try, some of the games will either run like shit, have graphical issues, or both. The others run just fine. Still less of a pain than Saturn emulation, though.
That's why of all the consoles I've had I only kept my Dreamcast and PS2. All of the others are emulated on an Orange pi board because a Raspberry pi was just too plug and play for my :autism:.

Pigeonhole

Less fun than a glory hole.
kiwifarms.net
I used to emulate stuff a lot, but I've grown to appreciate using the original consoles more. Something to keep in mind especially if you don't have strong computers is burning discs is pretty viable.

It's easiest to do this with a dreamcast in burning games onto CDs but I've also done the free mcboot method to burn ps2 games. They usually play well and you get the authentic feel of the game.

Reactions: Derbydollar

Pepito

The horseman comes! And tonight he comes for you!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For me, a flashed PSP model 3000 is THE retro/emulation console. I have one and ran emus for DOS, ScummVM Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 and loaded ISOs for PS1 and PSP from the same memory card and with no need for rebooting the console. I even run Windows 95 on the thing.

That Darn Mimic

Uhh... meow?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
PSP is the ultimate emulator device. Nothing like playing some Wonderswan or Genesis on the go. PSP's own library isn't bad either, with stuff like Tactics Ogre, Brandish the Dark Revenant, and Ys Seven (and arguably the best ports of Final Fantasy 1-4).

PSP is the ultimate emulator device. Nothing like playing some Wonderswan or Genesis on the go. PSP's own library isn't bad either, with stuff like Tactics Ogre, Brandish the Dark Revenant, and Ys Seven (and arguably the best ports of Final Fantasy 1-4).
Not to mention FF7 Crisis Core, MGA1/2, MGPW, and Third Birthday.

I'm getting a NDS R4 or something in the mail today, so I can not pay a gorillian dollars for DS games you cannot buy new anymore for the purpose of playing older games I missed on my 2DS. Any recommendations on must-try DS games?

That Darn Mimic

Uhh... meow?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any recommendations on must-try DS games?
Off the top of my head I can think of a few.

Final Fantasy IV for sure.
Metroid Prime Hunters is good even if it kills your hand.
Meteos is a pretty great puzzler.
Etrian Odyssey 3 if you hate yourself.
Retro Game Challenge and its fan-translated sequel are great.
Elite Beat Agents and its two Japanese equivalents Ouendan are amazing rhythm games.
Pokémon Black and White weren't bad.
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is a unique experience.
The Castlevanias are really fun.
Contact is grindy but humorous. The manual was even styled like a personal blog.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few.

Final Fantasy IV for sure.
Metroid Prime Hunters is good even if it kills your hand.
Meteos is a pretty great puzzler.
Etrian Odyssey 3 if you hate yourself.
Retro Game Challenge and its fan-translated sequel are great.
Elite Beat Agents and its two Japanese equivalents Ouendan are amazing rhythm games.
Pokémon Black and White weren't bad.
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is a unique experience.
The Castlevanias are really fun.
Contact is grindy but humorous. The manual was even styled like a personal blog.
Thanks, I'm big into Castlevania games so those are a must, I'll be adding the others to my try list.

Chrono Trigger. Even if you've played it on the SNES, the new translation alone is worth it.
I haven't played it in years, thanks for the idea.

Sergeant Politeness

Pitiful, laughable, once again silent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have my Wii homebrewed and I have a few emulators through it, mostly the Nintendo ones (GBA/NES/SNES). They run practically flawlessly, and I've yet to find an issue with any of them. Same with ePSXe.

Meanwhile, PCSX2 is a fucking nightmare. Games that work fine through it usually look ugly as sin, even if they're not constantly glitching out. And usually, they glitch out. First time I ran Jak and Daxter through it, everyone's eyes were missing. :cryblood:

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have my Wii homebrewed and I have a few emulators through it, mostly the Nintendo ones (GBA/NES/SNES). They run practically flawlessly, and I've yet to find an issue with any of them. Same with ePSXe.

Meanwhile, PCSX2 is a fucking nightmare. Games that work fine through it usually look ugly as sin, even if they're not constantly glitching out. And usually, they glitch out. First time I ran Jak and Daxter through it, everyone's eyes were missing. :cryblood:
PCSX2 has always been touch and go. It took them years before they could get the emulator beyond proof of concept level usable, and some games to this day are still nigh impossible to run well, if at all.

The problems are threefold, according to the dev logs they published. First, they had to emulate the bizarre and very complicated architecture of the PS2, something even the official creators found so hard they basically had to clone the hardware inside early PS3 models instead of making software emulators.

Second, they then had to re-route all of that emulated hardware through x86 processor instructions, which is no easy feat since the PS2 had different timing for basically everything.

And once the first two problems were overcome, the final one is that all PS2 games are not created equal. Some barely stressed the hardware of the real PS2, others pushed it to its limits, and some made use of functions not much used in other games.

The fact the PCSX2 emulator is as good as it is right now, all that said, is a testament to literal years of effort, and they are still trying to figure out all the quirks they have to replicate to this day.

TrippinKahlua

From RC Enthusiast to T-Shirt Brand.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yay! I need a Retro Game themed thread here.

But emulation isn't always easy. You may as well just hack your Wii with Homebrew to use an NES Emulator. You can play any game that way, from any region. I did want to give the official NES Mini, or whatever its called, a chance, but its filled with so much bugs in it, wasn't that the case?

I got about 100 or so in my Wii, but silly me hardly plays them. I guess when you have a hard copy, it makes things easier to decide what to play. Oh well, at least I got Tetris on my Wii and other random crap like

- The Little Mermaid
- Clash at Demonhead
- Roger Rabbit - Famicom (Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle is my favorite game!)

Sergeant Politeness

Pitiful, laughable, once again silent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I did want to give the official NES Mini, or whatever its called, a chance, but its filled with so much bugs in it, wasn't that the case?
I thought it was a nice idea, but way too little for way too much, especially after the scalpers got a hold of them. The games didn't even have manuals, and the controllers they used could literally be used on a Wii since they have the same connector port. Add to that Nintendo intentionally gouging everyone by producing as little stock as possible (as they always do), and I passed.

For what it's worth, the selection isn't terrible (dunno how the emulation is though), but they're mainstays of any shitty emulation site anyway. Grab a couple ROMs, LetterBomb your Wii, and save yourself the frustration of getting the Classic Edition, especially now that it's dead. (Also, why is it dead? Does Nintendo hate money or something?)

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino