Retro Games Worth Playing -

Lemmingwise

Men with wombs
kiwifarms.net
Deuteros is, at heart, a spreadsheet. But you wouldn't know it to think it.
I thought let's post deuteros, I'm sure no one remembers that.

Good job mate. Great game. I still pick it up about every five years and get past one more hurdle than before.

The best thing about the difficulty spike with the methoids going after you, is that you saved them in the first game.

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 687319
Army Men RTS

It's Command and Conquer but with an aesthetic of being toys waging battle in residential locations like a bathroom, a backyard or a basement. It also plays a lot simpler than most other RTS games so it is a lot easier to get into compared to Command and Conquer

but on-top of that it natively works in widescreen (shocked me) and I couldn't find any modern Windows hiccups. The only thing I disliked about it was it lacks a skirmish mode but there's actually a mod for the game that simply allows you to play the multiplayer with AI opponents without a human opponent being present. And fully incorporates it into the UI. Why this wasn't in the game at launch is puzzling since it's standard in the genre.
I think that is the last Army Men game worth playing. I thought it was fun playing on the consoles but that was years ago. This was also soon after 3DO went under and the game managed to get a release under a different publisher.

Have you played the original Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure/Final Fantasy Mystic Quest(the title in Europe) on the Gameboy? It's much more of a Final Fantasy converted into a clunky Zelda but some things originated in that game and carried over, like certain enemy designs, items and those weird dancing shopkeepers. I can't imagine that it holds up, even back then it wasn't great, but it was alright.
Never played a lot of gameboy titles admittedly. I did beat FFMQ on SNES but I have a feeling it was a different game completely to the gameboy title. Still a nice little potboiler RPG if you wanted to play something not overly complicated.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Fus Ro Dank
kiwifarms.net
Never played a lot of gameboy titles admittedly. I did beat FFMQ on SNES but I have a feeling it was a different game completely to the gameboy title. Still a nice little potboiler RPG if you wanted to play something not overly complicated.
Yeah, the SNES Mystic Quest wasn't bad and it was the first JRPG I played(they didn't release them in Europe). I had played the gameboy game but that was Seiken Densetsu 1 with the Final Fantasy name slapped on it.

Another old SNES game that might actually be better today compared to when it was released is Wonder Project J, a really strange point-and-click:ish adventure:ish game that was only released in Japan but translation patches are available.

J is a robot/android created by a man called Gepetto. The goal is to train J to solve tasks or overcome challenges like winning a track & field competition against robots, go treasure hunting/dungeon crawling and all kinds of things that I don't remember. What makes the game unique is that it has a lot of animation and you're not actually controlling the main character.

Instead you play as the mouse cursor, this is a point-and-click(ish) game after all. The mouse cursor is the fairy that can be seen in the pictures below. This means that the player can only direct J's attention towards things but he ultimately does what he wants with the knowledge/abilities that he possess, sort of like the creature from Black & White, and if he can't figure out what to do he gives up or messes it up. He has a bunch of stats that relates to all this and the player has to figure out what raises them and when they apply. I think there was a time element similar to Harvest Moon or that recent game that is exactly like Harvest Moon, there's only so much time per day and things happened on certain dates.

It's neat game with an interesting twist to how it's played and with all the quirky indie-titles that have been released over the last few years I think it's easier for players to swallow the weirdness of how it plays.

Some more images:

TrippinKahlua

Seductively secretly sexy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Double posting bump.

In addition to a Boy & Blob I have won a Paperboy In Box. Great classic retro game and I am gonna be damn happy to have it in my growing slowly but surely NES Box collection.

Tonight I hope to win Battle of Olympus (which looks damn beautiful), SMB/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet, and Faxanadu.

Hope the seller hooks me up with a shipping bundle.

Recon

Tactical Autism Response Division
kiwifarms.net
The hardware scaling on the Atari Lynx blew my mind as a kid. Lynx was the first color portable.
Slime World, Blue Lightning, Xenophobe & Xybots were my life as soon as I could afford 'em.
They just had a "feel" to them that was reminiscent of arcade games.

KotatsuApe

It's warm in here
kiwifarms.net
Back in the day i was a massive arcade sperg so i have to recommend Metal Slug and King of Fighters (up to the 2003 version, the new ones are shite). Still play them emulated on PC and they're still a blast.

Metal Slug 3 is my favorite because it's long as hell, has great variety of stages and enemies, and the hidden shortcuts that let you skip parts of levels (or even make them harder/longer) are a great addition

Sexual Chocolate

kiwifarms.net
COLONIZATION is still incredibly addictive - play the Amiga version though (you can get the WinUAE emulator for free), it has better graphics and sound than the updated DOS version being sold on Steam

Reactions: garakfan69

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Fus Ro Dank
kiwifarms.net
Double posting bump.

In addition to a Boy & Blob I have won a Paperboy In Box. Great classic retro game and I am gonna be damn happy to have it in my growing slowly but surely NES Box collection.

Tonight I hope to win Battle of Olympus (which looks damn beautiful), SMB/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet, and Faxanadu.

Hope the seller hooks me up with a shipping bundle.
What are you paying for them and what region are you in?

The hardware scaling on the Atari Lynx blew my mind as a kid. Lynx was the first color portable.
Slime World, Blue Lightning, Xenophobe & Xybots were my life as soon as I could afford 'em.
They just had a "feel" to them that was reminiscent of arcade games.
The Lynx looked fantastic for its time, the Amiga/Atari shop where I lived had a demo unit and California Games in 89-90 is in my memory still one of the most vibrant looking game I have ever seen.

TrippinKahlua

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What are you paying for them and what region are you in?
I try not to go over $10 on loose NES carts. But in box could go up to $30 if I'm adamant in winning it. I got up to $34 the other night for an in Box Zelda Links Awakening but I nailed it. Think I got Paperboy in box for about $20-25.

As for where I live, in the British Caribbean. Where retro game collecting doesn't exist and if it does the markup is not worth it.

Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

TrippinKahlua

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I want Shatterhand but those more expensive carts will have to wait til later.

I keep on saying how I am getting Battle of Olympus but the bitch keeps evading me. I am likely to try once more for this wave.

Violence Jack

Hands-on paleontologist
kiwifarms.net
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is amazing for being so broken and using a shitty beta version of source. I know many people probably won't give it a chance, but I find that you can get it stable enough if you download the latest unofficial patch by wesp. It's a game that oozes atmosphere and the interactions are top notch for an RPG. That being said its graphics haven't aged well neither has the combat. Still it's a fun game with a lot of replay value despite the jank.

Some advice if you decide to play: for a smooth first time playthrough i recommend either a ventrue or a brujah; save malkavian or nosferatu for a second playthrough because they drastically change how you play the game.
About near the beginning of the tail end of the game you'll be forced to slog through the worse sewer level ever committed to a computer game. You'll know it when you see buggaboos swarming you from every angle after which you'll question the shaky morality of the people who made this game. Now i would never advocate cheating, but the noclip command exists. So...
Another fun little exploit you can do if you're having trouble keep skill books you find and sell them to the pawn shop next to your pad. You can then buy back multiple copies from the vendor it's an easy way to get a leg up in the early-game.
Also I recommend not using the plus version of the patch if you're playing for the first time. It adds a bunch of fan mods which are pretty interesting for a second playthrough, but they aren't necessary.

Reactions: Lilac1
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino