Retro Games Worth Playing -

Cubanodun

Stylish Shitposter
kiwifarms.net
Oh, great, I'd really like to get the Castlevania on-

Nigga what

Little retro game collections on Switch are great and scratch that itch in my butthole to collect old cartridges, but Switch piracy isn't that hard and I'm more and more tempted by it every day. Also I still need to pick up Capcom's BERRT ASCHTIUON CORRECSHINU for whatever premium Play Asia is charging for it because they never released Beat 'Em Up Bundle on a cartridge
You are not the only one that i have see complaining about the digital only, even Yoko Taro said on Twitter that it would be better if they released it on physical, maybe when all the collections are out they will released it

Qi Meng Dealer

No one's idea of a hot date
kiwifarms.net
Konami is releasing shitloads of classics but sadly they are digital only still, considering that by far the Arcade one are perfect ports (or straight conversions according to HCG) and the Castlevania one is going to have more than one version is worth the investment or 20 or so bucks for it, the Arcade one even include Haunted Castle aka Arcade Castlevania before it was cool
If the included e-book is anywhere near the level of care put into the "Museum" section in SNK's 40th anniversay collection, that would be awesome. I find that's a missed opportunity in Sega's own collection released last year.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

30 nights of day
kiwifarms.net
Drill Dozer is worth playing, it's sort-of obscure but not obscure enough for that thread. It's also good! And expensive! So maybe emulate it.

It was made by GameFreak, the pokemon people, and is like a mix of Megaman and Mr. Driller in the style of The Misadventures of Tron Bonne and the bosses reminds me of that Rocket Slime game on the DS, also a fun game.

First video I found when searching youtube so it might not be a good video, but it's a loud video so turn down the sound.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Drill Dozer is worth playing, it's sort-of obscure but not obscure enough for that thread. It's also good! And expensive! So maybe emulate it.

It was made by GameFreak, the pokemon people, and is like a mix of Megaman and Mr. Driller in the style of The Misadventures of Tron Bonne and the bosses reminds me of that Rocket Slime game on the DS, also a fun game.

First video I found when searching youtube so it might not be a good video, but it's a loud video so turn down the sound.
That game had tons of love put into it and the music was great.

For another GBA game, Mario Party advance is a mario party game made to work in single player with heapings of the funny dialogue from the mario rpgs. It's ace.

Contact is a classic DS action rpg (That had both suda51 and ex love-de-lic talent) that was overlooked because it came out just before Mother 3.
It has some really wierd ideas and one of the best soundtracks on the system (@Count groudon I think you'll like this soundtrack, Drill Dozer too)

Also, Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland is ace. It's a game where you play as a creepy 30 year old trying to amass as much money to ascend to a paradise known as rupeeland. It only gets weirder from there.
Your money is your health bar and you instantly die upon going into the red. You are physically weak and must hire body guards to fight for you at local bars.
You make money by doing random quests/selling harvested or self manufactured items. There's a haggling system in play and it gets really tense if you don't look up any walkthroughs. (it also has ex love-de-lic talent onboard)

There's also a scene near the end that if it was in a title any less obscure it might have bumped the game up to a T or even an R (Not spoiling)

Also the japan only sequel recently got a translation. I might actually recommend that one first because it's a point and click instead of a full on bizarre action adventure.

Last edited:

CumDumpster

camedei707, Evil Overlord of Xedo
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure if anyone brought up the PSX game "Monkey Magic", but I will here, in case anyone missed it.

I've replayed this recently and it's a good Sunsoft platformer, despite being a tie-in videogame with a short TV anime (the anime was canned since it didn't fare too well, possibly because of UPN picking up the anime back then).

The platforming plays similar to "Bug!", except the gameplay is mostly restricted to a 2D space.

Gameplay sample:

Count groudon

Saltier than Njord's left testicle
kiwifarms.net
That game had tons of love put into it and the music was great.

For another GBA game, Mario Party advance is a mario party game made to work in single player with heapings of the funny dialogue from the mario rpgs. It's ace.
View attachment 708457

Contact is a classic DS action rpg (That had both suda51 and ex love-de-lic talent) that was overlooked because it came out just before Mother 3.
It has some really wierd ideas and one of the best soundtracks on the system (@Count groudon I think you'll like this soundtrack, Drill Dozer too)
View attachment 708464View attachment 708465View attachment 708466

Also, Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland is ace. It's a game where you play as a creepy 30 year old trying to amass as much money to ascend to a paradise known as rupeeland. It only gets weirder from there.
Your money is your health bar and you instantly die upon going into the red. You are physically weak and must hire body guards to fight for you at local bars.
You make money by doing random quests/selling harvested or self manufactured items. There's a haggling system in play and it gets really tense if you don't look up any walkthroughs. (it also has ex love-de-lic talent onboard)

View attachment 708477View attachment 708478

There's also a scene near the end that if it was in a title any less obscure it might have bumped the game up to a T or even an R (Not spoiling)

Also the japan only sequel recently got a translation. I might actually recommend that one first because it's a point and click instead of a full on bizarre action adventure.
Y’know, I always saw drill dozer at my local game store as a kid but I never actually thought about giving it a try. What a fool I was.

Also suda51 made a DS game? Why was I never told about this?

ducktales4gameboy

git branch -d giant_boobs
kiwifarms.net
Drill Dozer
I still have my cart and I think this is the first time I've ever seen any mention of it on the internet. Great game.

A thing worth noting about it that's not obvious unless you're playing physical (or spot that little sticker on the boxart) is that it had a rumble pack built into the cart. I'm not sure if any of the GBA emulators actually support it, but you really need it for the full experience.

Each stage has 3 gears to collect and each gives you an incremental upgrade to your abilities for the rest of that level. When you get the third gear for a stage you essentially go into god mode and the game signifies this by stopping the audio dead for a second and then blasting fast-paced upbeat music and cranking the rumble intensity up to maximum. It's really satisfying to get through a difficult section only to get the third gear and go into full-on fuck shit up murder mode for the rest of the level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Piss

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 708477View attachment 708478

That's a very good game, one of the best on the DS, but it only came out in Europe and Japan. And it's no wonder it never made it stateside, the game's full of sexual humor. It's kind of amazing Nintendo ever made a game like it in the first place, let alone setting it in the Zelda universe. It was rated PEGI 12, but some parts of that game might be enough to bump it to an M in America.

But it's worth like $80 or so now, so just pirate it

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Y’know, I always saw drill dozer at my local game store as a kid but I never actually thought about giving it a try. What a fool I was.

Also suda51 made a DS game? Why was I never told about this?
Grasshopper manufacture was involved and Suda had some input but it was mostly Akira Ueda's baby.

If you want a "Proper" DS suda51 game try Flower Sun and Rain. It's a port of a PS2 game with a proper english release and once again it's stylish and wierd.

Xarpho

kiwifarms.net
Most of the LucasArts titles (if you can find them, only Grim Fandango may be worth it since it's not a SCUMM title and the remake adds some traditional controls back) are all great. Monkey Island 1&2, Day of the Tentacle (the original Maniac Mansion is primitive but it adds a bit of backstory), Grim Fandango, Sam & Max Hit the Road...don't feel too bad about picking up a walkthrough for some of them, as usually the solutions are REALLY obtuse.

Reactions: The 8 of Spades

mr.moon1488

kiwifarms.net
Feel free to add in a game or series of games that you personally vouch for as fun and worth playing, can be any genre/console

So to start off an absolute classic series if you enjoy playing PC adventure games was the Sierra Quest for Glory series. Each of these games is good in its own way, it had an interesting RPG element that worked will with the adventure text games that Sierra was famous for, and then moved over well to the point and click genre as well. As well as being able to port your previous character stats and all to the next game in the series which helped build an affinity with the character over the run of the entire series.

Each of them is worth playing in its own right however the absolute pinnacle in terms of the series IMO is QFG 4, it combines all of the best elements of the previous entries into the series as well as building on the already well established lore of the world. It is challenging, has lots of replay-ability as there are the four classes to choose from and each has its own set of challenges, a really great story arc and theme for each of those classes as well as a dark more mature setting for the series, well developed and interesting characters, and all the while retaining all of the fantastic humor that made the series fun to play in the first place.
Any of the old final fantasies. You actually appreciate them much more when you're older.

Failure_Personified

Shouldn't Be Trusted, Persian Descent
kiwifarms.net
THIEF II: THE METAL AGE
Patch it with this:

AND PLAY LITERALLY THE BEST stealth GAME EVER MADE

THIEF II: THE METAL AGE
Patch it with this:

AND PLAY LITERALLY THE BEST stealth GAME EVER MADE
Thief II took up a lot of spare time when it first came out, still one of the most memorable PC games of the period. I've beaten every Thief game, except the most recent on the hardest setting. What was the instant reload button f7 I think. :lol:

Update looks good, in the midst of upgrading to a non-potato pc, so will play it once I can, the patch looks great!

• Agree
Reactions: Failure_Personified

DubbleBubble

kiwifarms.net
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender.

It's a fun pointy clicky adventure game with a sense of humor somewhere between space quest and leisure suit larry. But if anything the game is worth playing just because IT COULD NOT EXIST NOW. Within 5 minutes someone would be triggered to death because this game got it all, sexism for the whole family, radical space lesbians, gender bending "Trans-morphs", and a male protagonist that just wants to fuck, get loot and go home. And it starts by getting stranded on a planet decimated by "the great gender wars". This is one that most def aint getting a slick HD remaster or remake in current year.

TrippinKahlua

CEO - Alexander Edison Prins-Stairs Esquire III
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My retro collection grows. Today I got Smb/duck hunt/World Class Track Meet (basic I know but I needed it) Faxanadu and Zelda Links Awakening In Box (:heart-full:) and Super Pitfal In Box.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

30 nights of day
kiwifarms.net
I have a lot of fond memories of Faxanadu, but I don't think it holds up that well. Even back then it felt janky and it had moments where some absolute bullshit fucks you over and it makes you try to break the controller in half. Sturdy controllers on the NES, they creak but they don't crack.

Piss

kiwifarms.net
My retro collection grows. Today I got Smb/duck hunt/World Class Track Meet (basic I know but I needed it) Faxanadu and Zelda Links Awakening In Box (:heart-full:) and Super Pitfal In Box.
The only good thing about Super Pitfall is how the AVGN episode on it is one of his most charming ones.

(congrats on the pickups btw, Link's Awakening is bomb titties)

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino