Careercow Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka - Deadbeat founder of Something Awful, forced out of his own community, on his second divorce, stuck his dick in crazy, "Birth Giver"

Vivacious

kiwifarms.net
Lowtax was definitely in China for a time, I remember him posting about how filthy it was, seeing people shit on the street. I don't know that he was teaching English or doing any kind of work, though..

Was he visiting his wife's family? Though I also heard she was adopted.

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
Logan should post here and talk about Rich some more. We need another Mandy, imo.
I've always liked Mandy. Even when she used to go a bit batshit on SS and here, she was still honest, and though she sometimes jumped over the fence right next to the cliff, at least she was always consistent. Logan can't even keep her narrative the same for 12 hours.

:edited for spelling.

Last edited:

repentance

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Lowtax was definitely in China for a time, I remember him posting about how filthy it was, seeing people shit on the street. I don't know that he was teaching English or doing any kind of work, though..

I don't remember people being aware of why he was there at the time, but I recall him mentioning much later that he'd been teaching English there.

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
Think that was more like 2014 or 15, not sure though... I know it was a LONG time after I lived in China, and I didn't leave til 2009

Last edited:

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Every single one of them* and 99% of all medical costs.

When you hear people getting $100,000 hospital bills because they shoved a pool ball up their ass, that is because the hospitals have bill you what they bill insurance, and they bill insurance a made up number that includes a distributed load of all their operating expenses to cover for methheads who can't/won't pay.
If you get a medical bill, ask to speak to financial aid. Just showing up in the financial aid office will get 25% knocked off your bill before you even start.
Then ask for an itemized bill. This is where there is a lot of double billing and "well we don't have to charge for that" will knock that shit down even more, as they are dealing with an actual human and not an insurance adjuster who will approve anything within what their system says something should cost.
Want to get that shit even lower? Offer to pay in cash or debit card.
Want to pay amounts that you'll swear is the result of someone fucking up and leaving off a zero? Pay in cash before you have a procedure.

My friend and his wife paid less than the insurance deductible for the birth of their kid by going to the hospital administration when they were pregnant and paying upfront for the delivery.

Remember Skrelli and his epipen shit? That's why he marked epipens to $600 a unit, it was to gouge insurers. His only fuck up was not creating the personal exception program all the other drug companies run to avoid that exact fiasco.

* Ok, There are some extreme, extreme fringe cases where the $5000/mo is $5000/mo because what the drug treats is so uncommon there isn't actually a production line so batches have be cooked up by hand by a bunnysuited labtech. But in those cases you just get the nightly news involved and the drug company will happily write down the cost of keeping you alive because they don't want the PR nightmare.
Minor PL: I have a relative that is employed in a local hospital - billing department. Part of her job is literally 2x billing insurance. Shit should be a felony, but it's her job. She has it as part of her job descrip - in front of god and everyone.

Also, if you ever take an Accounting or Econ class, you might be taught that 'Ebil Insurance Companies" in the 60's/70's used to pay each and every invoice w/o knowing wtf they were paying. A factory doctor (John Deere Tractor iirc) saw an invoice for a co-worker and realized the hospital was billing the insurance for 100 minor procedures, instead of the actual full operation.

Just 2 'Le Happy Merchant' tricks that hospitals do.

Also, Hospital meals are partially subsidized by fed, state, and local gubments in the US (depending on yur area). Want to eat out cheap? Hospitals! You are paying for it anyway, Make sure to eat where the staff eats, not where they direct visitors. I've had $5 steak dinners. No tax, either!

Vivacious

kiwifarms.net
I read the Oral History of SA on Vice and caught some more details

• Lowtax moved out to Orange County to work on Planet Quake and that's presumably where he started SA. Seems like he eventually moved back to Kansas City and has never lived anywhere else
  • In 2005, Lowtax was still working out of his house and hadn't bought the office yet, even though this was the beginning of the decline of the site
  • The paywall started in 2002 and the site began to be profitable after that

• Informative
Reactions: Humpty hump

MirnaMinkoff

Mama, nobody sends you a turd and expects to live.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So... Lowtax was in bed when he called the police and when they arrived... and "had difficulty moving on the bed" but still refused medical attention? Lowtax also claims he slipped and "took her down with him"?

If Lowtax' back is that bad, why is he in the basement and not on the first floor? What if there was a fire? He also claimed to have surgery the following day, so what happened to that?
Lowtax is fucking Christopher Reeve the minute he’s being accused of anything. He lays it’s on so thick that it’s some of his best comedy in years.

He was giving a General Hospital level performance. “Please do send the kind officers to my bedside, for I am an wretched invalid incapable of walking and my crazy, drunken caretaker has been beating me because I required rest before my major surgery in the morning!!

Apparently going into a doctors office to get some epidural shots equals SURGERY!!

I read the Oral History of SA on Vice and caught some more details

• Lowtax moved out to Orange County to work on Planet Quake and that's presumably where he started SA. Seems like he eventually moved back to Kansas City and has never lived anywhere else
  • In 2005, Lowtax was still working out of his house and hadn't bought the office yet, even though this was the beginning of the decline of the site
  • The paywall started in 2002 and the site began to be profitable after that
Looking at your time line it certainly seems like declining revenue at SA, combined with his massive tax problems match right up with his pill eating and relationship problems.

Goons throwing money at him last April helped at first but it was so much money it allowed him to do stupid shit like lease an expensive house, and car, increase pill eating and eventually decide a new younger trophy girlfriend and $60 cookies were needed.

The paetron money was like fuel for the dumpster fire.

Leonard Helplessness

kiwifarms.net
Updating my timeline

This is inaccurate. I attended that event and Richard was very much awake and active, though whether he was fully conscious was questionable. The infamous couch photo was from years earlier, to my knowledge -- though Richard did have that same couch when I was there.

repentance

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
GBS thread is complaining that Jeffrey and the mods aren't being transparent enough. Seems like they want Resetera : 2, complete with town hall meetings, or something.

Reactions: Brain Problems

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
Why is Dick Masterson running a screen for Lowtax on the recent TDS podcast?

He in the episode says, paraphrasing "...Farms sent me some calls but I'm not going to play those..."
"..I saw some text between you (LowTax) and your child... eh.... I dont want to show those.."

and in the same episode talks about how "one side typically crafts and presents evidence to form the narrative" but proceeds to side with LowTax the entire time.

Also says nothing about LowTax's patreon going from 8k to >1k (how could that be...? wow... really makes you think...)

LowTax seems like a spergy-drunkard nowadays.

I've tried to like Dick Masterson over the years. His trolling of Maddox was one of the funniest internet sagas of recent years, and he puts his money behind some good causes fighting the good fight against censorship.

But it's rapidly dawning on me that his edgy woman-hating dickhead persona isn't really an act. He really is just an obnoxious cunt.

mc1footpinus

kiwifarms.net
Zombie Karl Marx could crawl out of his grave to buy Something Awful, and he still wouldn't be good enough.

Just ugh, just when you begin to think it's a post-white-male society, here we have it in tyool 2020 2 fatcat white businessmen trading counterculture communications assets. One of which came back from the dead because apparently "there aren't enough white guys around"

Last edited: