Careercow Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka - Deadbeat founder of Something Awful, forced out of his own community, on his second divorce, stuck his dick in crazy, "Birth Giver"

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

ellroy

kiwifarms.net
Eric Bauman was the smartest of the Internet 1.0 guys (except for maybe Tom from Myspace) for knowing when to cash out and cash out hard.
I think Moot is the clear winner. Maybe he didn’t walk away with a wheel barrow full of cash but he got famous in tech and academic circles for his time on 4chan, got a high paying job at Google, and gets to live in Japan like he wanted to as a teenage weeb.

Tom and Eric will be forgotten but Moot will live on.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Eric Bauman was the smartest of the Internet 1.0 guys (except for maybe Tom from Myspace) for knowing when to cash out and cash out hard.
I think Moot is the clear winner. Maybe he didn’t walk away with a wheel barrow full of cash but he got famous in tech and academic circles for his time on 4chan, got a high paying job at Google, and gets to live in Japan like he wanted to as a teenage weeb.

Tom and Eric will be forgotten but Moot will live on.

You can probably debate who won the most out of all the "old" era webmasters - but it's no debate as to who was the biggest loser.

Lowtax.

ellroy

kiwifarms.net
I feel like at Maddox's peak was also much higher and at one point he was also much more mainstream than SA.
Maddox never had Lowtax’s revenue stream or at least had to work harder than Lowtax ever did. Maddox.xmission had a lot of pull but that never made him money beyond his merchandising. His books did, his shitty YouTube channel made a little, collaborating with Dick did until Maddox ended it.

Lowtax had a turn key operation or at least something he treated as turn key and made some significant money for little work.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
He recently quit Google. I'm not sure what kind of parting of the ways it was. I believe it is actually pretty common for people to leave Google when their options vest, which is five years. He was there from 2016 to 2021, so that fits. Also they seemed to throw him mainly at hopeless projects, maybe in the hopes he could pull some weird voodoo to fix them, and he probably didn't see much of a future there.

The stock options by themselves would probably keep him afloat another 10 years even in Japan if managed wisely, even if he does nothing else.

ellroy

kiwifarms.net
He recently quit Google. I'm not sure what kind of parting of the ways it was. I believe it is actually pretty common for people to leave Google when their options vest, which is five years. He was there from 2016 to 2021, so that fits. Also they seemed to throw him mainly at hopeless projects, maybe in the hopes he could pull some weird voodoo to fix them, and he probably didn't see much of a future there.

The stock options by themselves would probably keep him afloat another 10 years even in Japan if managed wisely, even if he does nothing else.
I heard he was working Google Maps. What’s your source on him getting a raw deal?

edit: I did a quick look up. Apparently Moot first worked on a failing Google+ social network and then worked on the start up incubator Area 120 but wound up in Google Maps as a product manager (not a technical role). If this is what you meant by impossible tasks, then I see your reasoning but it is a stretch to claim they are without some other knowledge. I did find it interesting that the SJW’s were against his hiring in the first place even though moot courted them during 2014 when Gamergate went on.

Last edited:

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I heard he was working Google Maps. What’s your source on him getting a raw deal?

edit: I did a quick look up. Apparently Moot first worked on a failing Google+ social network and then worked on the start up incubator Area 120 but wound up in Google Maps as a product manager (not a technical role). If this is what you meant by impossible tasks, then I see your reasoning but it is a stretch to claim they are without some other knowledge. I did find it interesting that the SJW’s were against his hiring in the first place even though moot courted them during 2014 when Gamergate went on.
Apparently he left some time around April 22 or so, at least that's when the news stories are. "Product manager" sounds like a really shitty job for a tech guy, at least to me. I got the impression they really didn't have any idea what to use him for.

ellroy

kiwifarms.net
Apparently he left some time around April 22 or so, at least that's when the news stories are. "Product manager" sounds like a really shitty job for a tech guy, at least to me. I got the impression they really didn't have any idea what to use him for.
It’s a crappy job but I don’t think they hired him to code. I think they just wanted someone that understood social networks through experience. Just that experience didn’t work in corporate Google.

northstar747

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Screenshot_20210922-071215_Brave.jpg

Lol

Ghostse

Gorilla Channel Executive Producer
kiwifarms.net
It’s a crappy job but I don’t think they hired him to code. I think they just wanted someone that understood social networks through experience. Just that experience didn’t work in corporate Google.

It could have also been a defensive hire; if you're paying Moot $200,000+options to do nothing, then Apple, Microsoft, or some start up isn't hiring him to work on a product that'll be used against you.

ellroy

kiwifarms.net
It could have also been a defensive hire; if you're paying Moot $200,000+options to do nothing, then Apple, Microsoft, or some start up isn't hiring him to work on a product that'll be used against you.
That sounds like something straight out of Hooli from the Silicon Valley TV show. The sad thing is its plausible.

I wonder if Moot ever wound up on the roof…

Ghostse

Gorilla Channel Executive Producer
kiwifarms.net
That sounds like something straight out of Hooli from the Silicon Valley TV show. The sad thing is its plausible.

I wonder if Moot ever wound up on the roof…

I have friends trapped in that area and they tell me Silicon Valley is a documentary.

They have stories of people pulling six figures for essentially showing up and continuing to draw breath. Because they actually show up, and the company just needs/wants a warm body.

ellroy

kiwifarms.net
I have friends trapped in that area and they tell me Silicon Valley is a documentary.

They have stories of people pulling six figures for essentially showing up and continuing to draw breath. Because they actually show up, and the company just needs/wants a warm body.
That sounds like defense contracting. They hire people with a clearance and a pulse, and they spend their day drinking coffee and burning money. The pay is awful compared to tech though.

The golden neckbeard

Web 1.0 Archaeologist and Professor of Goon study
kiwifarms.net
You can probably debate who won the most out of all the "old" era webmasters - but it's no debate as to who was the biggest loser.

Lowtax.

This is like the best post ITT

Assuming he is telling the truth that's a pretty serious problem and indicative of pretty severe Nerve degeneration. Alot of Lou Gehrig and MS patients get this sort thing.

hoping for the best I guess. This place wouldn't be the same if Lowtax died, i feel like this cow could be milked another decade or so before being put out to pasture.