Rick and Morty Griefing Thread - Originally titled "Rick and Morty writer Jessica Gao, who wrote Pickle Rick, leaves show"

2odastream

r/Drama queen
kiwifarms.net
"And nothing of value was lost" -Jay Sherman
https://ew.com/tv/2019/02/12/rick-and-morty-jessica-gao/
The Emmy-winning writer of an acclaimed Rick and Morty episode scored an ABC comedy sitcom pilot order, but isn’t returning to the Adult Swim series.

Jessica Gao landed a pilot deal for an untitled comedy about “a first-generation Chinese-American woman who struggles to set healthy boundaries with her crazy, exhausting family. When her wealthy grandmother dies and names Janet the sole inheritor, she suddenly finds herself the unwilling new matriarch of the family she’s spent her life trying to keep at arm’s length.”

Gao was an executive story editor for Rick and Morty season 3 and was wrote the gonzo “Pickle Rick” episode. EW has confirmed she’s not returning for the upcoming fourth season. Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, who provided audio commentary for the episode, praised one of the “Pickle Rick” monologues as “maybe the best writing in 2017.”

Rick and Morty hired some new writers for season 3 in an effort to have a more gender-balanced writers room. Some members of the show’s fandom attacked those writers online and doxxed one of them (Gao has said she wasn’t the one targeted). Co-creator Dan Harmon blasted those fans in an EW interview. “I’m on a Twitter sabbatical, so the last thing I saw about that was [the Reddit thread detailing the harassment], and I’ve seen the tweets they’ve sent to the [unnamed] female writer,” Harmon says. “I was familiar going into the third season, having talked to Felicia Day, that any high-profile women get doxxed, they get harassed, they get threatened, they get slandered. And part of it is a testosterone-based subculture patting themselves on the back for trolling these women … I think it’s all disgusting.”

Last edited:

MadDamon

MAD DAMON
kiwifarms.net
" comedy about “a first-generation Chinese-American woman who struggles to set healthy boundaries with her crazy, exhausting family. "

Now that's totally not racist. Painting Chinamans as crazy and unbearable over-achievers are totally okay when a china"woman" do it.

Also imagine how people will yell 'racist' at it if they feature the parent speaking in Engurish, which is very common in those first genernation Chinese immigrant s.

2odastream

r/Drama queen
kiwifarms.net
I was going to say "good" but then I saw it was because she got a pilot order. Good luck on that one, ABC.
Implying this series won't be hilariously bad and go even further in cementing her status as a hack.
The episode was actually very well written for a WILD and QUIRKY HEHE type show for adolescents. She's probably way too talented to be involved with this show at this point.
>very well written
"I'M PICKLE RIIIIIICK"
"Doctor Wong, fIrSt OfF rAcIsT nAmE"
"nihilism lmao"
Did we watch the same episode?

Yellow Yam Scam

delicate shim cheong
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Implying this series won't be hilariously bad and go even further in cementing her status as a hack.

>very well written
"I'M PICKLE RIIIIIICK"
"Doctor Wong, fIrSt OfF rAcIsT nAmE"
"nihilism lmao"
Did we watch the same episode?
It's babby's first sci-fi anthology for 16 year olds who shop at Target. The episode was perfectly fine for what it was, you're probably mistaking how you feel about the actual writing for how you feel about the 30 year olds on Reddit getting Pickle Rick tattoos.

2odastream

r/Drama queen
kiwifarms.net
It's babby's first sci-fi anthology for 16 year olds who shop at Target. The episode was perfectly fine for what it was, you're probably mistaking how you feel about the actual writing for how you feel about the 30 year olds on Reddit getting Pickle Rick tattoos.
There's literally a gigantic pretentious speech near the end. It's one of the worst things ever and proof an overrated show has only gotten worse.

TherapyMan

kiwifarms.net
Basically this, but I don't know what kind of 16 year old shops at Target.

In many ways, that episode was highly successful. It catapulted a franchise from merely being somewhat popular to being entirely ubiquitous and provided a successful line of merch that made the brand way more recognizable. Most content creators would kill for the sort of publicity Pickle Rick got, and even though it's become cool on the internet to bash the show because of r/imaverysmart shit, it's unsurprising that the creator behind the episode is getting offered more lucrative gigs.

There's literally a gigantic pretentious speech near the end. It's one of the worst things ever and proof an overrated show has only gotten worse.
You sound like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and is merely bandwagoning popular complaints.

Detrogen

Real Humdinger
kiwifarms.net
Rick and Morty is dead in the water. Season 3 was modern Simpsons-tier garbage. Outside of a comic series floating around on shelves and a smattering of unsellable merchandise clogging up various “geek” stores, you don’t see it anywhere and nobody talks about it anymore.

Adult Swim should cut their losses and move on.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
The writer responsible for the second worst Rick and morty meme is leaving! Oh no! Fingers crossed her celestial sitcom isn't as insulting to Asians as Margaret Cho's.
It sounds like another Fresh Off the Boat. How many sitcoms about first generation Chinese families do we need on television?

edit: I know Gao's show is just riding off the coattails of Crazy Rich Asians, but its still nuts that they wouldn't rework the premise so that it wasn't exactly the same as another program airing on the same network.

Testaclese Maximus

as friendly as a rabbit
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Pickle Rick episode had a level of self-awareness the fans who based memes off it sorely lack. Kind of like the show as a whole. Based on that production alone she seems like she’s got some decent comedy writer chops, and her new show sounds like a spiritual successor to Arrested Developement.

Holy shit a lot of Rick and Morty weirdos in here. Calm down guys, the scifi cartoon doesn't have to validate your every opinion.

It's a funny cartoon that goes a tiny bit more in depth with some fantasy science than futurama. The surprisingly deep characters are what make it a little more than just another funny scifi cartoon.

I thought season 3 was funny. I thought season 2 was funny. I thought most of season 1 was funny (The pilot was rough).

I look forward to season 4, the fans saying it's totally ruined now, the fans saying it's the only good season, the fans saying the other fans are horrible people for their opinions, Dan Harmon equating trolling with terrorism, and all that fun stuff. We can only hope for a repeat of the mulan sauce silliness.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino