Rick and Morty Griefing Thread - Originally titled "Rick and Morty writer Jessica Gao, who wrote Pickle Rick, leaves show"

UnKillShredDur

Black Deaths Matter.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't have cable, but the most recent episode on the site where I watch this shit... I don't think I'd be ok posting it here, just google watch cartoons online or something, you'll probably find it.
seems to have skipped episodes 5 and 6 to bring back that incest baby in a prematurely posted episode 7, which was a Voltron parody of all things. I don't know why I keep waiting for this show to get funny again, but this wasn't that either...

Some Badger

Meles Meles Americana
kiwifarms.net
Possibly late, but looking back on it there was definitely someone in the writer's room who had a piss fetish and was lowkey projecting it through Summer. There's like three, maybe four instances in previous seasons where Summer brings up peeing herself as part of a joke.

TV writers are all fuckin' weird.

Derpman123

You talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded
kiwifarms.net
The leak episode was nothing but pop culture reference from Godfather to Anime. No jokes just references. Fuck even Family Guy puts in some jokes.

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net
I think the main problem(s) with this newest episode is that it doesn't feel very cohesive. The horse masturbation machine somehow leads to giant sperm somehow leads to an Independence Day spoof. Add on top of that the dated jokes about how women aren't respected by men that don't make sense anymore, even within the context of the show itself and a "lying is bad" message. I can't decide if the CHUDs (surprisingly not a 4chan reference) or the giant sperm were more pointless. It's kind of impressive how even Reddit hates this episode.

Why doesn't Rick immediately suspect Morty did something wrong considering how weird he was acting as soon as the episode started? And why was Rick so nice all of a sudden in comparison to the last few seasons? It should be a good thing that he doesn't know everything and he's spending time with his family without taking them to alien orgies like a degenerate, but it's jarring because he was a complete dick on semi-God mode (not season 3 tier) for the past few episodes.

This season feels surprisingly aimless, like they're just going through the motions while simultaneously running out of ideas.
I liked it. It was so weird and fucked up that it kept me fully engaged to see where it went next. The "women are the real heroes and men are all assholes" shit was out of place, though.

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net
I don't have cable, but the most recent episode on the site where I watch this shit... I don't think I'd be ok posting it here, just google watch cartoons online or something, you'll probably find it.
seems to have skipped episodes 5 and 6 to bring back that incest baby in a prematurely posted episode 7, which was a Voltron parody of all things. I don't know why I keep waiting for this show to get funny again, but this wasn't that either...
I just watched it and it was really bad, holy shit. They really did the "ha ha! Anime characters look and talk differently to western cartoons! They over emote and grunt at the end of sentences sometimes!" bit where they just have western characters with anime eyes. That was hack almost 2 decades ago. You were right, it was an entire episode hinging on references with only like 3 actual jokes.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
The horse sperm episode felt a lot like an early season episode character and plot-wise though depressingly unfunny except the gag about the cool samurai spec ops. The joke about Obama drone striking people was surprisingly based, but it quickly ramped up the first world feminism problems likely due to the female writer used the episode (that's not her own creation) to vent for feeling unappreciated.

Besides that, it's once again an episode about children masturbating and having sex, with a bonus of incest. By now I wonder if every episode in the season will feature this.

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
I didn't even finish the episode. It's rare for me to quit something part way through even if I wouldn't have started it if I'd know how bad it was.

Little of it really made sense. A show can have things in it that don't make sense in our world, but they need to be internally consistent with each other. Super-unperceptive Rick, very forced exposition (hint: if you have a character literally saying: "normally I would be okay with this but I'm super embarassed because of reason X, Y, Z" that's not clever self-aware metahumour. It's bad writing. And then of course there's the "give that MAN a nobel peace prize" stuff. Dull.

Are they the same writers for each episode because this felt so bad it was out of place even amongst the mixed stuff we've had so far.

Green Man

Ooh, somebody stop me!
kiwifarms.net
Space Jam 2.

Has Rick and Morty became Warner Bros. version of the Simpsons?

Given that I've seen anti-vaping ads with Rick & Morty featured, I think that's right on the money, that's the last stage of consoomerism kicking in. First it starts with cringy shirts and blacklight posters at places like Spencer's Gifts and Hot Topic, then being featured in regular commercials, and the final stage is being featured in Ad Council PSA's as a way to appeal to those "darn kids" or whatever the fuck. That's when you know a franchise is pretty much dead and void of whatever allure and excitement it might've had in the beginning. The first sign is when it gets it's own subreddit. Once that transpires it's a steep downhill trajectory for people who went "hey I kinda like this" and the TV series, movie, book series, whatever will be rendered devoid of whatever drew you to it in the first place, and gets to the point where you won't tell anyone that you ever liked it because it's virtually unrecognizable and the new fanbase is as cringe as it gets.

Then gradually people start to realize it just needs to be put out of it's fucking misery at this point and that it would've been far better if it had just ended on a high note. Exhibits: Rick and Morty, The Simpsons, The Walking Dead, Family Guy, etc.

Quite a few similarities with The Simpsons, actually, but I don't know if it'll have the same longevity. We are in the timeline where Futurama got the axe so we could have like twelve to fifteen more seasons of The Simpsons than anyone really wanted or needed.

Seriously though, a fucking anti-vaping PSA. "Hey you crazy kids, Rick here from acclaimed series Rick & Morty! I know in the show I'm an alcoholic and often use space drugs but vaping is really bad for you!"

José Mourinho

The Special One
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Has Rick and Morty became Warner Bros. version of the Simpsons?
I'd argue it's way worse. When we think of The Simpsons today, it's usually the same thing: "The Golden Age is Seasons 1/2/3-7/8/9/10/whatever", a lot of memorable lines from the Golden Age, and there's still memes popping up even today, and some are even from Zombie Simpsons which says a lot.

When we think about Rick & Morty, I bet most who once watched it don't even know that there's seasons after Season 3 that were already aired (at least people right now still acknowledge that The Simpsons is still airing with new seasons), and the notable memes were either Pickle Rick or the "high IQ" copypasta from Reddit (there are others, don't get me wrong, like Meeseeks or "Pass the Butter" but not as notable as the ones I posted), thus the show is seen as a joke now.

Express RX-78

kiwifarms.net
I've been thinking about something. How many seasons, how many episodes, how many years did it take for The Simpsons die and go into zombie mode compared to Rick and Morty jumping the shark after 2 seasons? (first episode of R&M S1: December 2, 2013 - last episode of R&M S2: October 4, 2015)

Express RX-78

kiwifarms.net
Apparently there's a canonical reason why Rick and Morty are such brand whores, or something.

https://www.avclub.com/that-space-jam-cameo-isnt-rick-and-morty-selling-out-i-1847310645
Copying the article here because fuck it:
Rick Sanchez wants your money. That’s not a secret—in fact, it’s a point Rick And Morty had returned to again and again, across its now five seasons on the air: There is no principle, friend, or family member that the gleefully amoral super scientist will not betray for a juicy enough incentive, or a big enough pile of cash. The mercenary attitude of the show’s central character extends well outside its universe, too: If you want Rick Sanchez to yell “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!” while telling millennials to shove Hardee’s hamburgers in their faces—or show up to add some inexplicable Adult Swim cred to your new Space Jam movie—it’s pretty easy to pull off. Just pay the man, and make it happen.Series co-creator/star Justin Roiland, who not only voices every enthusiastic ode to Old Spice or Pringles that tumbles from Rick’s puke-stained mouth, but who also writes pretty much all of Rick And Morty’s surprisingly numerous ad spots, is clearly aware of the loophole at work here. By crafting a character of functionally infinite cynicism, Roiland has created a paradoxically perfect pitchman: Rick can say anything, tell his ravenous audience to buy literally any product, and never slip out of character—so long as it’s clear he’s only saying this stuff because someone paid him to say it. Or, as Roiland put it in an interview with Collider last month:

"Rick is the type of person that would see right through any fucking advertisement and who these big corporations are, the whole corporations weighing in on socio-political stuff. It’s just so fucking ridiculous. It’s funny to me, and Rick is somebody who would see right through that shit. It’s like they just want money. That’s all they care about. So I’m trying to keep all of that in mind while writing these commercials."

The end results are ad campaigns that feel effective in direct proportion to how checked-out their star sounds. An Instagram promotion that sees Rick effusing about the interactive wonders of the “Rickstaverse” constructed experience comes off as positively moribund, for instance, while the Old Spice spot, where Rick literally counts his ad money while reading from a sheet of provided copy, feels totally of a piece with the show. (After all, this is the series that’s had its heroes canonically hang out with Logic to promote his album, and beg Nintendo to send them shit—to say nothing of the enormously strange situation that bled out into real life when Rick waxed poetic about McDonald’s Mulan-themed Szechuan dipping sauce in the season 3 premiere.)

You can’t even really fault Roiland (or co-creator Dan Harmon) for trying to find a way to balance getting paid with maintaining the show’s own sensibility: They’re beholden to their corporate masters, after all, who are the ones actually selling ads that it’s then on Roiland to make feel authentically inauthentic. And it’s hard to deny that setting up a merch-filled Rickmobile to roam the country, or writing a crooning birthday song for Kanye West (apparently commissioned by Kim Kardashian for her now-ex husband), does feel like something Rick would do, provided the price was right.

So why, given all the fast food endorsements, Pringles ads, and pickle-branded seltzer waters, does the sudden appearance of Rick and Morty in the new Space Jam movie still feel like some sort of nadir, a threshold crossed? It’s not just that the real Rick would come up with something way nastier than “dum-dums” to label the Tune Squad with after inexplicably returning the Tasmanian Devil to them. (Oh, for a version of A New Legacy that was rated PG-13, with the solitary “fuck” reserved for Roiland’s belch-filled ramblings.) No, the real problem with the scene, which went viral on the internet this weekend, is that Rick isn’t in on the joke. There’s no wink to camera, no allusions to a paycheck, no acknowledgement that his and Morty’s appearance is just one more empty IP gesture in a film so filled with them that it blocks out any other creative impulse that might try to bleed through. For once, Rick isn’t cheerfully selling out; he’s being sold. Space Jam does what not even the Galactic Federation, the Citadel Of Ricks, or the fully mustered might of the Wendy’s corporation could do: It tames Rick Sanchez C-137.
Also Rick not knowing who/what the Tasmanian Devil is makes him look like complete fucking dumbass.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Simpsons became merch whores fairly quickly (seriously, if you were around in the early 90s, you couldn't turn your head without seeing The Simpsons being advertised somehwhere) but the show was still pretty damn great throughout the decade.

To me, cracks in the armor started to show in Seasons 8 and 9, and then it became the unwatchable mess it has morphed into now by around Season 13.

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net
I don't understand the people confused and upset by R&M shilling product. Not necessarily any of you just in general.

1626695836460.png

They were hocking Wendy's burgers and Nintendo products for years. The show has always been goofy bullshit, I don't know where this idea it was some "transgressive show, and now it's selling out!" is coming from. It airs on Adult fucking Swim, probably the most mainstream comedy channel since Comedy Central slid into irrelevance years ago.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
I don't understand the people confused and upset by R&M shilling product. Not necessarily any of you just in general.

They were hocking Wendy's burgers and Nintendo products for years. The show has always been goofy bullshit, I don't know where this idea it was some "transgressive show, and now it's selling out!" is coming from. It airs on Adult fucking Swim, probably the most mainstream comedy channel since Comedy Central slid into irrelevance years ago.
Difference was Nintendo and Mickey D's felt like the writers outwardly taking the piss and expecting nothing from it. Now it feels more like they're actively trying to sell me shit through the episode while pretending they're not and putting on this fedora-tipping air of being better than other shows that do ads like this. Like because they're so kooky and self-aware about it that it automatically makes it better.
I can't speak for anyone else, but personally? It's less about it no longer being counter-culture and more that the show itself will still insist on the fact that it's totally not selling out, then also have, for instance. some guards from the Federation talk about how amazing Kohl's pants are. Or trying to make a bit out of whatever commercial they're doing while also having to interject that "I dunno, W-Wendy's is the best or something, buy the product?" and completely kill the flow of whatever bit they were doing for it.

Shit like the Nintendo or McDonald's jokes worked because it was so brazen about it so early in the show's run that nobody actually thought those companies would do anything. Back when Season 1 aired, Adult Swim was nowhere near the level of popularity it has now. It had some great shows in its own right, and grew a niche audience over the years, but AS wasn't "mainstream" per se until around Season 3. Nintendo sent them 3DSes afterwards for good PR, and McDonald's brought the sauce back without Roiland or Harmon's input because they knew they could make a fortune selling some long-discontinued movie sauce. Nowadays? Well, there's a reason AS penned a 70-episode contract for the show.

"Oh man Wendy's food stalking R&M and trying to beat the shit outta them sure is gonna entice me to the sweet mouthwatering taste of a Wendy's new bacon double cheeseburger. Oh BOY Morty talking about nothing but PS5 specs for half a minute while Rick counts his cash is so much fun! Really makes me wanna buy a PS5 that I can't get cuzza scalpers! WOW-WEE, Morty is a robot? Sure makes me wanna buy some Pringles chips. We get it bros, fellow gamers, we're just like yooooou!"

See the latest episode: "Man Rick this is out there even for us, I mean CHUDs? Really?" being self-aware about it being a shit episode and not up to the show's standards and integrity. Meanwhile Rick and Morty are advertising you Pringles and showing up in Space Jam 2. The fuck outta here, your episodes are just vessels for products at this point. What, you're gonna pretend the incest baby episode is where you cross the line, until you keep insisting on bringing it back anyways, all while shilling...fuckin' Shoney's or Voltron or some shit? No fuck off, I'm not buying their shitty diner food. :story:

Last edited: